PDA

View Full Version : DVD playing software

promethius
25-09-2004, 09:23 PM
My girlfriend informs me that Windows Media Player 'doesn't play all DVD's'.

Could anyone recomend any free DVD playing software?

I seem to only be able to find said software that is full of adware/spyware etc.

Megaman
25-09-2004, 09:30 PM
last time I looked WMP did. i've seen my teacher play DVDs on his laptop using WMP

Spacemannz
25-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Sometimes WMP needs a DVD codec, from some DVD software like PowerDVD, or DVD x player. Try http://www.download.com and search for dvd player

tweak\'e
25-09-2004, 09:48 PM
if you can find one let me know. due to lienceing costs there are very few free ones and the ones i've seen are not very good.

promethius
25-09-2004, 09:49 PM
www.download.com is where I searched for them and came up with two likley ones, but alas alack, spyware.

So this DVD codec will play all DVD's?

Spacemannz
25-09-2004, 09:58 PM
True there arent many free ones around. Most u pay for. Most DVD's players (external or internal) usually come with some kind of DVD player program. Like PowerDVD.

Chilling_Silence
26-09-2004, 02:57 AM
Try searching WinAmp.com - There's a DVD Playback plugin for 5.x that worked nicely last time I checked :-)

metla
26-09-2004, 05:51 AM
Doesn't play all dvd's?

Without the codec it wont play any,with the codec it will play all that are the same region as your DVD drive,Normally all DVD drives are packaged with DVD Software.

The codec required is a commercial product,so you generally have to pay for it,However it is bundled with the K-lite codec pack,and once installed enables playback of dvd's via media player.

But Installing codec packs are generally a bad idea unless you keep an eye on every step of the operation and only load what you want(generally 1/10 or less of what the codec pack tries to do.

tweak\'e
26-09-2004, 10:27 AM
i wonder if the dvd discs have a copy protection that the dvd drive dosn't like.

can you veiw the files on the disc with explorer ? it could be the drive just dosn't read some disc's.

>Normally all DVD drives are packaged with DVD Software.

you can buy oem dvdroms with no software which are a favorite of elcheapo pc makers who rely on XP's own dvd decoding ability.

Spacemannz
26-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Well if pc makers rely on XP's decoding ability, theyre dreaming lol.

As said earlier, even WMP wont run without some kind of DVD software installed. So it installs a codec.

So, what XP has is useless, and not worth using. I dont use use WMP. I would rather use PowerDVD or DVD X Player (well this since it'll play any Zone DVD). myself for playing DVD's.

olldaddy76
26-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Try http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/product_main.jsp?ProdId=28 for Cyberlink DVD Player and a choice of software....but you may need a codec as well.......

tweak\'e
26-09-2004, 12:23 PM
cyberlink= adware/spyware :(

Spacemannz
26-09-2004, 12:30 PM
I use Powerdvd. Spybot doesnt pick up any spyware/adware with the full version. It runs fine.

tweak\'e
26-09-2004, 12:36 PM
sorry my bad. got the links mixed. cyberlink is power dvd which isn't spyware. the one i was thinking about was cliprex which advertises a free dvd codec/player.

Alan Cottrell
26-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Try this http://www.videolan.org/

Open source freeware (no spyware) plays everything.

I have not used it extensively myself, however it seems to work well on systems I have set it up on (no complaints, always a good indication)

Regards

AC

promethius
26-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Thank you for all your replies.

She is downloading videolan now.

Chilling_Silence
27-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Bah!

Why didnt I think of VLC!

Its great - Especially for streaming DVD's and the likes over a LAN!

Great piece of software it is!