PDA

View Full Version : Best Broadband ISP

el hefe\'
25-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Ive heard about capping by different isps how do you tell if your connection is capped and which is the isp to go for who wont restrict my speed

somebody
25-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Hi El hefe' and welcome to PressF1.

There isn't much in the way of options out there really, as Jetstream is managed by Telecom. When you mean capping, do you mean capping the speed, or capping the data limit?

In terms of speed, the fastest will be Telecom's "Full Speed" Jetstream which is uncapped in terms of speed, but is limited by hardware, line conditions etc. It also usually has very unreasonable data caps

There are also options by other providers in certain parts of the country.

stu120404
25-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Hello el hefe'

Welcome to Press F1 :)

> Ive heard about capping by different isps how do you
> tell if your connection is capped

You should ask your ISP or login in to there data meter

Do you have ADSL at the moment or are you on 56K if so who is your ISP?

> and which is the isp to go for who wont restrict my speed
All ISPís restrict your speed e.g. 128K 256K etc

If you give us a bit more information, we can give you more/better information :)

Looking forward to your reply

Bazza
25-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Hi Stu, I always value your input, many thanks.

But do you know "there" is a place, like over there.

And their is personal, like their computer or something belonging to them.

FeuerBrennt
25-09-2004, 09:03 PM
The best Broadband ISPs were the the main ones....Xtra, Orcon, Ihug....

whiskeytangofoxtrot
25-09-2004, 11:33 PM
> The best Broadband ISPs were the the main
> ones....Xtra, Orcon, Ihug....

Why? They are all selling the exact same product.

stu120404
26-09-2004, 12:50 AM
> Hi Stu, I always value your input, many thanks.

:)

> But do you know "there" is a place, like over there.
>
> And their is personal, like their computer or
> something belonging to them.

?:| I am I missing something here? ?:|

If I read your post right then Iam only asking el hefe' to give more information as his/her post is not too clear

FeuerBrennt
26-09-2004, 01:36 AM
For me personally Xtra because Telecom is the BOMB!!! And Xtra got lots of publicity...:D

metla
26-09-2004, 05:38 AM
> > The best Broadband ISPs were the the main
> > ones....Xtra, Orcon, Ihug....
>
> Why? They are all selling the exact same product.

It all comes down to 2 issues,How long they leave you on hold,and how often they tell you it must be a problem at your end.

In other related news,after switching all my accounts from Xtra to Orcon recently i was in a position when i had to contact Orcon 3 times in one day to sort out the accounts and make sure we were both on the same wavelength,every time i rang the "tollfree" number if was engaged,i was then forced to ring the national number,be put on hold for 20-to-40 minutes and pay toll rates the entire time.

Thgen when i finally spoke to someone i had to stop the conversation after 15 minutes and ask to talk to someone that wasn.t a complete and utter idiot.

Thats 2 black marks so far.

metla
26-09-2004, 05:39 AM
And WTF old buddy,front up and tell us what ISP you work for.........

Mzee
26-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Xtra because there are no ISP fees and the "Buck ends there" with Telecom.
Help Service is good.

The worst BBISP would have to be Slingshot. They charge $2 per phone call for help, even if its their fault. If you send an Email you get an automated reply saying "We aim to please". This can go on for weeks. They also charge 3 months in advance which makes changes difficult.

Big John
26-09-2004, 10:13 AM
> All ISPís restrict your speed e.g. 128K 256K etc

Actually at present Telecom restrict the speeds not the ISPs. If the ISPs could restrict it you may find a lot better plans available

barmypom
26-09-2004, 11:02 AM
> For me personally Xtra because Telecom
> is the BOMB!!! And Xtra got lots of
> publicity...:D

You sad case. You know full well that most people can't stand the Telescum. Instead you come on here and add more fuel to the fire by daring to suggest that they are good!

Come off it. Either have a valid opinion or don't bother posting on these forums.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
26-09-2004, 12:43 PM
> Xtra because there are no ISP fees and the "Buck ends
> there" with Telecom.
> Help Service is good.

Xtra's ISP fee is there, it's merely sugarcoated by their arrangement with Telecom. Telecom "sell" the service cehaper to Xtra than to anyone else, they get their cut.

The new plans released yesterday all have an ISP fee on them.

> The worst BBISP would have to be Slingshot. They
> charge $2 per phone call for help

That's their perogative - you are well aware of that when you sign up so no point whining about it after the fact.

FeuerBrennt
26-09-2004, 02:29 PM
You sad case. You know full well that most people can't stand the Telescum. Instead you come on here and add more fuel to the fire by daring to suggest that they are good!

Come off it. Either have a valid opinion or don't bother posting on these forums.

Oi cool down mate! I can't believe that my post will incite something controversial... B-)

drb1
26-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Barry,

Frequently I read and move, A liitle blunter would not have hurt this time.

D.

Mirddes
26-09-2004, 06:34 PM
i like telstra