PDA

View Full Version : Phone Line In and Out

Steve_L
25-09-2004, 05:16 PM
A surge protector has phone sockets labelled In and Out. Which goes to the 'puter?

Does the outside phone line connect IN the surge protector and then OUT to the PC ? Is there an easy way to remember this, considering if you start by holding the wire from the PC it would make sense to connect IN to the surge protector and OUT to the wall socket.

Baaaaassssiiiic question, I know, and I have been connecting these things for 8 years but have always wondered if it was correct.

godfather
25-09-2004, 05:36 PM
I would assume In was In from the exchange also.

However I suspect the devices are probably symmetrical, so its unlikely to make a scrap of difference?

drcspy
25-09-2004, 05:36 PM
think of the way the signal flows from the wall socket.......to the pc......therefor the line that goes from teh socket goes IN and the line then continues OUT to the pc......

tweak\'e
25-09-2004, 05:53 PM
>However I suspect the devices are probably symmetrical, so its unlikely to make a scrap of difference?

correct. most (all cheapo's) are just a gas discharge arrester sop it makes no difference which way around it goes. the good surge protectors use muiltable types of arrestors and must go the correct way around.

Steve_L
03-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. Good to know that it does not make a difference which way the connections are made.

BTW, I'm over in Sydney now: warm sunny beach weather, good surf due to recent winds. The best internet cafes are only 3 bucks an hour, with broadband. Cheapest broadband connection advertised here is $20 a month.