PDA

View Full Version : Ms to stop upgrades of IE for all but xp

fairway
25-09-2004, 04:07 PM
A sad day for microsoft users
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5378366.html?tag=adnews

lagbort
25-09-2004, 04:17 PM
this will just increas the rate at which people are dropping ie, and going to less crap alternatives

Steve_L
25-09-2004, 04:20 PM
From that link"
"If you're one of about 200 million people using older versions of Windows and you want the latest security enhancements to Internet Explorer, get your credit card ready."

Oh yeah, sure!

>>>The reality is and will be like so:

Microsoft's IE :( X-( :(

Firefox, Netscape, Opera :) :^O :D

Megaman
25-09-2004, 04:20 PM
*cough*http://www.getfirefox.com*cough*

mark.p
25-09-2004, 04:34 PM
It's the best news MS Windows users have had in years..............

fairway
25-09-2004, 04:38 PM
but wait .. there's more .. when I followed through on the link, at cnet, Google is up to some interesting things .. like a browser ..and a possible opreating system , the plot thickens !!!!

the highlander
25-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Good news for firefox.

fairway
25-09-2004, 04:40 PM
thanks megaman just what I needed .. anything else there I might want ?

pulling hair out
25-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Hi
While I'm really rapt with Firefox, I notice a lot of Mozilla sites keep pushing you to get Thunderbird as well. I'm happy enough with OE at the moment and if I changed it probably wouldn't be to Thunderbird. There's a lot of others around.

And I still use Internet Explorer for my updates. Also Adaware connects you to IE when it comes to linking up to latest news releases via the Adaware program.

Wonder what the internet scene will be like in a years time.

Marg.

Terry Porritt
25-09-2004, 09:11 PM
>>>"IE has been a part of the operating system since its release," said the Microsoft representative. "IE is a feature of Windows."

Where on earth do these MS folk learn to speak such crap?

When the web was in it's infancy and Mosaic ruled, followed by Netscape, Microsoft refused to believe there was any future in the internet, and there were third party TCP/IP stack suppliers like Trumpet, and it was quite a feat to get Win3.x set up for internet unless you bought a complete "in a box" package.

Then they suddenly woke up and had to supply retro fit IE with TCP and dialler packages to go with Window 3.x

To say IE was a part of the operating system since its release is sheer fantasy.

Terry Porritt
25-09-2004, 09:16 PM
They say the same crap over and over again until they all come to believe it. Just like Dubya and his 'weapons of mass destruction'

exLL
25-09-2004, 09:24 PM
> To say IE was a part of the operating system since
> its release is sheer fantasy.

Since its release:

Do they mean since the release of the operating system, or the release of IE?

Just wondering.

Cheers.

Terry Porritt
25-09-2004, 09:38 PM
I took it to mean IE, as that is what the thrust of the article is about, and a bit later there are the comments about ancient history:

>>When asked about IE's origin as a free, standalone product, the representative said, "You're talking in software terms that might be considered ancient history."

It was released as a free standalone as part of the fight against Netscape.

exLL
25-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Thanks terry. :)

Terry Porritt
25-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Even after the Australian Win98 Lite bloke had demonstrated that IE could be decoupled from the OS by describing how to do it, and then a bit later supplying some programs to do it for you, MS were still swearing in courts of law that IE was an integral part of Win 98, and that Win 98 could not be supplied without IE

drb1
26-09-2004, 01:09 PM
> Even after the Australian Win98 Lite bloke had
> demonstrated that IE could be decoupled from the OS
> by describing how to do it, and then a bit later
> supplying some programs to do it for you, MS were
> still swearing in courts of law that IE was an
> integral part of Win 98, and that Win 98 could not be
> supplied without IE

Terry,

Microsoft are the Enemy (Because of the way the market more than anything else) Not using IE in Xp/2k, never activating messenger, never using outlook/express. is different to removig IE completly.

M/s have made IE an intergal part of the O/s since 98 and are continuing to do so.

There are issues with removing IE completely from the system. Especially for the "Home" user.

Best course of action for these people "In my opinion" Never turn on messenger or use Outlook/Express, use IE only when dealing with M/s or sites thet will not work with other brousers.

Use a firewall that allows NOTHING unquestioned acess to the net, have many many less Problems.

You can remove IE, if you do so YOU MUST be capable of administering the systems issues after removal.

D.

Terry Porritt
26-09-2004, 02:22 PM
drb1, I don't regard Microsoft as the enemy :) but I can see what you are getting at, and whilst I couldn't possibly comment, some people may well think that MS lie through their teeth!

This Wikipedia site gives a good summary of the case against MS and the so-called integration of IE with the OS, and the pressure put on PC manufacturers by MS as part of their efforts to kill off Netscape:

wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_antitrust_case)

Don't forget we are talking Win98 as far as the anti-trust court cases are concerned.

Growly
26-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Meh...