PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Partitions

Pato
25-09-2004, 03:10 PM
I am getting a new PC built with a 200Gb HD and XP Pro OS (using Win98 at present). Should I get the HD patitioned?. I may want to try linux later once I have mastered the move to XP. Any help would be appreciated.

Jen C
25-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Yes, you should partition your HDD. A drive that size would take a very long time to defrag and to run checkdisk on it. There is a FAQ on this here, FAQ #43 - Multiple partitions on a hard drive (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=50701&message=306464) which explains all the other good reasons to partition large drives.

If you wish to play with Linux at some stage, just leave a separate unformatted partition (say 10-15 gigs) aside for it.

Pato
25-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks Jen. Have looked at FAQ which says choose your partitions wisely?. Wasn't sure how much to leave for trying Linux. I guess the other partition sizes are just a matter of personal choice but guidance from experienced users is alway helpful.

Murray P
25-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Your partition sizes will vary depending on what you are using the PC for, eg; video/movies and songs need plenty of storage. I'd do it something like the following:

Win partition --> C: 10GB

Programmes --> D: 10GB

Data (docs, Xcel, accounts, etc) --> E: 25GB

Storage (movies, music, etc) --> F: 50GB

Storage (movies, music, etc) --> G: 50GB

Other (Linux, whatever) --> H: 55GB (to be further partitioned as needs arise)

Some people prefer to keep programmes on the same partition as windows, there are pros & cons to both.

Cheers Murray P

Pato
25-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks Murray P,
That is very helpful and just the guidance I need. The biggest drive I have had so far is 2GB so you see why I need help LOL