PDA

View Full Version : Raid Card File Transfer

phil.b
24-09-2004, 11:07 PM
I have win xp pro sp2 running. It's not set up as raid system. I just wanted to have a separate hard drive for backup purposes. If I transfer small files upto around 50megs from 1 drive to another through the pci raid card everythings ok. If I transfer say 3 or 400 megs the system freezes. I can install programs straight from the backup drive ok..
Any Ideas

Phil

Spacemannz
24-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Whats your motherboard Phil? And is the PCI raid card for SATA or IDE?

And how many IDE or SATA hdd's are connected to the PCI raid card??

phil.b
24-09-2004, 11:43 PM
I just had a look through the setup for the card & tells me there isn't a 80 pin cable present, when there is.
MB= Asus P4S8X-X. There is only 1 drive connected to the blue primary connector on the card. It's a ST Lab pci ata 133 ide card. I have a hard drive selector (trios2) connected to 3 hard drives, the ide card is supposed to be able to make the 4th drive available as a backup for the others. I have xp on this drive, linux on another & my son has another drive as his own. that way when i'm playing with linux & destroy it it won't affect my xp system. Hope that makes sense. Imight just change the cable tomorrow anyway.

Phil

Spacemannz
24-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Ah ok I guess the ide ribbon could make a diff. I have that same mobo here on another PC. Not a bad mobo at all. Let us know if the change of cable fixes the prob.

phil.b
25-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Ok
Cheers
Phil

phil.b
26-09-2004, 12:39 AM
Hello Spacemannz, the problem is now fixed. I tried another cable & it made no difference. I ran some registry cleaners to no avail. Physically checked the inside of the computer for connections ect. Checked the device manager, it reported no problems. Transferred all my backups on to the backup drive or CD, ran Active killdisk from a floppy & permanently deleted C: did a clean install of windows & sp2, had to set up all the network/router stuff again, updated everything & it all works a treat and looks like it's running much faster too. It certainly boots up & shutsdown much faster. Windows must have had a glitch somewhere.

See You

Phil

Spacemannz
26-09-2004, 01:15 AM
good to hear it works now Phil!