PDA

View Full Version : Dual layer DVD burning

Tom McB
24-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Hi! My NEC ND-1100a gave up several weeks ago and was replaced under warranty with a dual layer ND-2510a. Unfortunately, any home video DVDs I author with it skip and stall on my Sony DAV-C450.

I am now considering either downgrading to a single layer writer or getting a second SL writer. Am I better off with the downgrade or can my system support 2 writers?

W2K, P4 3Ghz, 1GB, GeForce4 Ti4200, 120GB, Pinnacle Studio 8, Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.1.1.48, imation DVD +RW, Verbatim +RW

Many thanks
t

Spacemannz
25-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Are you using the DVD writer on the same IDE connection as the / a hard drive Tom?? And whats the source of the video?? Digital video cam? thru Firewire / USB2?

I take it the 120gb is SATA? Or is it IDE? If its IDE, and if it is on the same IDE connection as the DVD writer, put the DVD on the secondary IDE by itself or with the Sony (If this is a CD/DVD writer).

Whats the Sony DAV-C450? An internal CD/DVD writer?

Your system should be able to handle 2 writers. I use 2 here ( A Pioneer
106, and an ASUS 52x cd writer). No prob at all. Whats the power supply?

Chilling_Silence
25-09-2004, 03:20 AM
Upgrade the Firmware of your burner. This _should_ fix it.

If it doesnt, try burning at a slower speed and see what results you acheive.

Chill.

Tom McB
25-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the replies, team - sorry I had to turn in early after struggling with it for a few late nights.

S:
The 2510a is primary on the second IDE channel. Video source are AVIs captured via Studio8 from a Sony DCR-TRV70 (NTSC - I got it from the States) on a DSE firewire card and cable. The DAV-C450 is a 5-changer stand-alone player circa 2002 (DVD/VCD/CD/SACD - definitely works with +R and +RW although I fear it may not keep up with DL discs). PSU is 350w (I think) - no extra hware to juice up (1hdd, 1 writer, no other peripherals).

C_S:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it as a last resort. I tried burning at 1x with the same results.

I have tried many combinations:
1. burn the home video using S8 directly to writer
2. render first, then burn with S8
3. render with S8 then copy the video_ts files using Roxio Creator 6
4. use Roxio DVD builder then burn

The dvds are all playable on my pc via WinDVD or PowerDVD - its the C450 player I wish to get these home videos to play on.

The player can play home video DVDs created by the S8 on the old ND1100a. When these DVDs were duplicated using Roxio, they were also playable. It's newly rendered and burned ones that I have problems with.

The next approach I am taking is to burn the S8 video_ts files using a different SL burner which I am hoping the player will understand. I am reluctant to part with the DL writer at this stage hence the query on whether I can have 2 DVD writers (DL + SL).

I did consider upgrading to S9 but if the player wont accept discs from the DL, what's the point? I do wish to keep the C450 for now so "get a new home entertainment system" is not a near-term option.

Many thanks and regards to everybody
T (goes weeding the garden and will check when back asks for a break)

Spacemannz
25-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Can't Pinnacle capture as MPEG instead of AVI?? As well as burn to DVD as well.

And are you saving / burning the finished videos as NTSC or PAL??

Since the DCR is NTSC (Or can it switch between NTSC and PAL)??

What version Of Roxio are you using? Basic or Platinum?? According to the Roxio site, you need

5.3.5.10 +5.3.5.10r / 6.1.1.48 + DU20040326 for Basic

5.3.x + 5.3.5.10r / 6.2.x + DU20040326 for Platinum for the ND-2510a

Chilling_Silence
25-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Its _not_ hard to update the firmware.

Its incredibly simple and well worth doing!

Give it a shot.... Im positive it'll help.

Chill.

Tom McB
25-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Yes, Spacemannz - PS8 can capture both mpeg and avi as well as burn to dvd . I've been burning as NTSC and have not had problems in the past as my TV and DVD player are both NTSC/PAL compatible.

Because the DVR was from the US, I'm afraid that it's not switchable to PAL although S8 can capture content in both NTSC and PAL. Hmmm, might do a PAL capture just to check that line of thought out.

I started with the Roxio Basic 6.0 bundled with my drive. Have just updated it to 6.1.1.48 so I think I have the most recent version short of a Roxio 7 upgrade.

C_S
OK, I'll bite - where can I find those firmware flashes?

Cheers
t (back feels better after 3 Steinies)

Spacemannz
25-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Umm I would say http://www.nec.com or whatever NEC's site is. I tried to search for that burner. I found the burner, BUT NOT the firmware.

You might have to go to that site and email them to find out where they hold the firmware.

Tom McB
25-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Yup, been there several times over. Can't find it either so I was wondering whether Chill might have seen them in a different site. The ND2510a is newish though, a firmware update so soon?
Harvey Norman is having a $99 sale on BTC +R +Rw drives? Don't know the model though; will check it out. Any feedback on these?

Spacemannz
25-09-2004, 11:54 PM
You'll be surprised how some burners get firmware updates pretty fast lol.

I've seen the pioneer DVDR 108 flash updated about 4-5+ times, since it was released. That hasn't been out that long.

Ummn nope not I. I use a Pioneer DVD burner here.

Chilling_Silence
26-09-2004, 02:53 AM
Try:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/566

Tom McB
27-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Problem solved !!! Many thanks to Chill and Spacemannz.

1. downloaded w32 flasher utility
2. saved original 2.15 firmware
3. downloaded and flashed to 2.16
4. rendered and wrote to imation +rw using S8 (no go, still stutters and freezes)
5. checked imation +rw disc at bro-in-law's place (won't go on panasonic entertainment system, worked on Sanyo player)
6. disc copied imation to Verbatim +rw using Roxio (woohoo!!!! now plays on C450)

New mantra: Verbatim for movies, imation for data backups.

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Good to hear it works! Umm, whats the panasonic system?? Not too sure if anything will play DVD-RW's (unless it says so, and the dvd is finalised).

I use the Panasonic SA-VK90D, which is a 5 cd/dvd stereo system. It plays + and - DVD's and a few other formats (Himat/MP3/WMA/DVD-RAM/VideoCD).

Is Pinnacle updated with the latest updates? That you know of?
It might need an update, to fix the stutter/freezes.

Try a - DVD in your bro in laws stereo or either + or - if its the above. It SHOULD play it.