PDA

View Full Version : Created new user, installed thunderbird and then xp freezes as it pleases

mister harbies
24-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Hi fellow F1ers,

I just recently created a new user on my computer. With that new user, I installed Mozilla Thunderbird 0.8. This is all done in one day, or a matter of a few hours.

Now... the computer, a windows xp pro with 512mb dual channel ram, amd 2800+ chip and hard drive which has over 50gb free space is freezing as it pleases!

When I say it freezes, it freezes for a few seconds, and it does this about 3 or 4 times before the ultimate freeze, and I am unable to move the mouse and the time does not change.

I can not use the mouse or keyboard.

I restart the computer and sometimes it boots fine, other times it freezes while the boot screen is running.

The hard drive is less than one year old.

Why? Is Thunderbird to blame? Is it because of the new user? Is this a sign of a faulty hard drive?

What can I do to diagnose the problem?

Mister Harbies

Jams
24-09-2004, 04:23 PM
when it freezes, does the HDD LED go nuts ?

mister harbies
24-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi,

My HHD LED does not flash or light up.

It seems that it is not because the computer is busy or anything.

It just seems to freeze for no apparant reason.

I'll go and play around a little more and find out what I am doing before the freezes, and post my results back here

Mister Harbies

mister harbies
25-09-2004, 12:44 AM
Hi again,

I started up the computer.... left it to run for a few mins before logging in.... when I came back to try, it was already frozen.

Checked the bios and found no hard drive, so I am assuming that the IDE cable was faulty. I tried another cable, and it is back running again.

It was the IDE Cable.

Thanks anyways,

Mister Harbies