PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded computer still not working.

willie_M
24-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Hey guys,

Y'know how like a month ago I was having problems with my brothers computer? Well I'll just refresh your memory.

My dad got some new hardware so he gave my brother the old motherboard, processor and ram. The motherboard is an ASUS A7VL-VM with 1x512MB SD133RAM, 1x128MB SD133RAM, AMD Duron 800 processor, and built in 8-32Meg graphics.

This was installed in my brothers old case, replacing the mobo that the cat pee-ed on, along with a hyena 250W psu, CD Drive, and Hard drive. Although I'm not sure what happened to the hard drive, i think my dad threw it out cos it wasn't working, and put in another one.

ANyway, what happened is it kept doing physical memory dumps and now the VGA doesn't work. Nothing comes up on the screen, even if we put in a PCI VGA card.

Heres what I've tried so far:
memtest86 - didn't report anything wrong but kept looping the test
shorting cmos
swapping positions of ram sticks
using either ram stick by itself

What else could be wrong? I really want his computer fixed so he stops asking to go on mine.

Cheers
Willie_M

wintertide
24-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Have you tried another CPU (if you have one around to try)? Does the computer make any error beeps when you turn it on?

metla
24-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Why do you expect a Motherboard that has had a cat pee on it to continue working?

alphazulusixeightniner
24-09-2004, 01:55 PM
:^O :^O

willie_M
24-09-2004, 02:21 PM
errr!

>This was installed in my brothers old case, replacing the mobo that the cat pee-ed on

Your bad...

No I haven't got another duron to try it with.

willie_M
24-09-2004, 08:51 PM
BUMP

tweak\'e
24-09-2004, 09:22 PM
>Nothing comes up on the screen, even if we put in a PCI VGA card.

> along with a hyena 250W psu

try a new psu. if you are going to use a cheap one, use a 300w one.

alphazulusixeightniner
24-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Yeah, try another PSU and don't get a cheap one. Decent brand like Enermax of about 350W will do.

willie_M
24-09-2004, 10:41 PM
350w for a duron 800 running a single hard drive and cd rom drive.

My PC is a xp2600 running 4 ide devices and a agp card and its a cheapo 300w...

Spacemannz
24-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Is the PCI card still in the system?? Did u disable the onboard video, before u installed the PCI videocard??

willie_M
24-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Should I have to? I thought that was only for AGP slots? There is no jumpers for this.

Oh yeah, there should be question marks in my previous post.

Spacemannz
24-09-2004, 10:58 PM
I would say you would have to disable the onboard in the BIOS. It SHOULD have the option to disable it in the BIOS. If u have a PCI videocard in it. That maybe one reason why the screen is dead.

tweak\'e
24-09-2004, 10:59 PM
>My PC is a xp2600 running 4 ide devices and a agp card and its a cheapo 300w..

underpowered pc's with elcheapo psu's going faulty is proberly the most comman hardware fault. its just a matter of time before yours dies. just hope it dosn't kill the rest of the pc at the same time.

350 watt for a duron 800 is over kill. a good 250 will be fine. with cheapo's go up a size (eg 300w) so the psu dosn't get worked to much and it should last a lot longer. tho i still much prefer a decent psu to a cheapo.

willie_M
24-09-2004, 11:52 PM
Ummm, I can't see the BIOS becos the built in graphics don't work.

Hmmmm, my dads using the old hardwares psu (250W) to run his XP2400... i better go kick him in the ass...

I'll give it a try with a better psu, and see if that does the trick. Luckily I have a new 300w hyena psu thats not being used atm.

Spacemannz
24-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Umm are u sure the monitor is on? lol and that it actually works??

Try the monitor on your dad's PC. See if it does actually work with the other PC.

willie_M
25-09-2004, 12:37 AM
we have tried 2 different monitors... sorry I should have mentioned that before

Spacemannz
25-09-2004, 12:49 AM
Ok thats a good enough reason to say it might be the videocard.

Does the system turn on at all?? any LED's come on at all?? any fans spinning?

Or is it completely dead?? Or is everything going BUT no monitor/screen?

willie_M
25-09-2004, 12:56 AM
***, i know youre trying help but i aint a n00b!:D

Everything is operational except for the screen...

alphazulusixeightniner
25-09-2004, 01:26 AM
Yes 350W would be overkill for a Duron 800, you could easily go for a brand name one with lower wattage if you can find one.

Hyena PSUs are worth about -$1000+. Yes negative $1000+. That's the amount of equipment it will destroy when it inevitably blows up taking half your system with it. :)

Spacemannz
25-09-2004, 11:15 AM
lol bring it here I'll fix it :P

Pete O\'Neil
25-09-2004, 11:31 AM
> ***, i know youre trying help but i aint a n00b!:D
If you think a 300w PSU is enough to power your PC then your a n00b. Give me a 300w Enermex over a 500w Hyena any day.

willie_M
05-10-2004, 12:44 AM
ok, got a brand new 350W psu (destined for mine, my 300W el cheapo cut out the other day), tried it in the pc and the same thing happens... nothing...

Your turn...

Rob99
05-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Have you tried another screen......
Have you tried another graphics card.........
Is the monitor turned on.........

willie_M
05-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Tried 2 screens.

Tried built in graphics and PCI graphics (no AGP)

Yes the monitors were on when testing... except, they did not even display anything, its just the same as they are when turned off, however the green light is on, and the alternative to the green light is no light.

Also one of them has an LCD screen below the display that shows what frequency and res your screen is running at.

I'm baffled by this one. Everything that I have learnt over the years failed to knock this on the head

Rob99
05-10-2004, 08:13 AM
Check the jumper on the MB for the FSB and try a different setting

willie_M
05-10-2004, 09:46 AM
ahhh, fsb adjustment!

Good idea!

But, the fsb hasn't been changed since it was in the last system... and its the same ram and cpu... but i'll check it anyway...

george12
05-10-2004, 06:26 PM
What beeps do you hear?

Beep once and maybe even start booting but no display is VERY different to no beeps, no hard drive activity and no display.

One means video card, the other could be a lot of things. Possibly the motherboard died while being installed - did you use appropriate static precautions etc?

willie_M
06-10-2004, 11:43 AM
There are no beeps, but the cd drive if it is plugged in makes a spinning up noise and keeps doing that, but if it is unplugged, there is hard disk activity.

It all started with a physical memory dump, and finished loading knoppix into vga mode - thats when it died, so the motherboard was working for a short time after installation..

When I installed it I kept touching the case, however the psu was not plugged in...?

D. McG
06-10-2004, 01:30 PM
> When I installed it I kept touching the case, however the psu was not plugged in...?

That won't be any good as the case is not grounded - if the critical power supply connections have been established with the motherboard (and the power switch wired) then the PSU should be plugged in so that the case is earthed. Otherwise if you have another PC, plug that in and touch that (or use an anti-static wrist strap connected to the grounded computer).

I'm not sure about Knoppix, but with Windows versions before XP there is a design inadequacy that only enables up to 512MB of RAM to be used. Would Knoppix be trying to use a video mode that your card or monitor cannot display? Oh wait - I recall that you can't even see the BIOS output on startup.

Yes, the PSU does sound dodgy. I now use a 300W Zalman model to power an AthlonXP system - 300W seems to be adequate (my old PC Co. machine had a PSU of probably 220W!). If there have been problems with the supply it is possible that it would have damaged part of the motherboard that supplies the integrated graphics and/or the PCI bus. Such a thing did happen with my PC Co. machine - thus affecting the USB PCI card. You could try swapping around the PCI cards into different slots, which is what The PC Co. did (even when they said they would replace the faulty motherboard), but if it is the motherboard at fault it would be best to get a new one and not let the hyena anywhere near it!

Hope that helps.

Nighthawk
06-10-2004, 02:53 PM
no display can be linked to a bad video adapter

Nighthawk
06-10-2004, 02:56 PM
if you've got an AWARD bios then it'll beep 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps indicating bad video adapter, any more beeps and it'll be the ram or the cpu or the motherboard. i think getting a new card will fix it.
new psu, antec's good. where do u live we can reccomend you a certain repair shop if needed

willie_M
06-10-2004, 10:31 PM
I am my own repair shop :D

Umm, I tried changing the FSB settings but to no avail... This board has a jumper for BIOS or DIP switch fsb settings... tried all but it's no diferent.

There is definitely hard drive activity... the system starts up as normal, just without display...

There are no beeps, we have tried the built in video, a PCI graphics card, and now 3 different PSU's.

Whats the possiblitlity of something being shorted by something? Could static have damaged only the graphics capability and PCI?

Can anyone think of anything else? :'( This kid keeps bugging me to let him on my computer and it's pissing me off! He seems to think its my fault its broken....

Elephant
07-10-2004, 12:08 AM
> I am my own repair shop :D
>
> Umm, I tried changing the FSB settings but to no
> avail... This board has a jumper for BIOS or DIP
> switch fsb settings... tried all but it's no
> diferent.
>
> There is definitely hard drive activity... the system
> starts up as normal, just without display...
>
> There are no beeps, we have tried the built in video,
> a PCI graphics card, and now 3 different PSU's.
>
> Whats the possiblitlity of something being shorted by
> something? Could static have damaged only the
> graphics capability and PCI?

I note that the motherboard was installed in the old ( catpee ) case.

Have you taken out the motherboard from the case and ensured that there are no parts of the motherboard touching other old brass risers which were not removed? This sort of thing maybe will give you a short to the case.

No beeps on boot will tend to indicate a problem anyway.
One short beep is normal. Any other beeps or lack of is not normal.

Are you sure that the correct wires from the case are connected to the motherboard in so far as the speaker is concerned? Did the cat pee on the speaker as well maybe? No beeps may tend to indicate the speaker is not working
>
> Can anyone think of anything else? :'( This
> kid keeps bugging me to let him on my computer and
> it's pissing me off! He seems to think its my fault
> its broken....
If you installed all this then it IS your fault.

drb1
07-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Set the mother board up on the bench, on anti static blocks.

Hang just the power leads and switch lines on. put another "spare" (Good) speaker on. (Use spare known good test power source if you can, maybe change memory and cpu))

No floppy/mouse/Kb/anything else.

Move the display card around untill you get something, or put another display card, work on this, and any jumpers relating to onboard/ pci/ agp untill you get display. then add floppy, hdd ect.

No get display like this, repair maybe not economic in time alone.

D.

willie_M
07-10-2004, 08:27 AM
>Have you taken out the motherboard from the case and ensured that there are no parts of the motherboard touching other old brass risers which were not removed?
Ahhh, i did not think of that...

Will do what you say db1...

Cheers will report back soon
Willie_M

willie_M
07-10-2004, 10:46 PM
OK, now that I found there wasn't actually a speaker plugged in (i knew i should have gone to school that day... week... year) i found a speaker and all it did was make clicking sounds, so I put an LED on the speaker pins.

The LED flashes about once a second nonstop....

However the hard drive still winds up like its loading windows... could just be the POST I guess....

willie_M
08-10-2004, 08:47 PM
hullo? is everyone boycotting me cos i'm dumb?

metla
08-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Only so much can be done via text,if someone was capable of giving you a sure fire aswer you would have it.

Personally I'd start throwing the gear away.

Elephant
08-10-2004, 09:38 PM
> hullo? is everyone boycotting me cos i'm dumb?

No. I am still here.

Plug a working speaker in for goodness sake.

Go buy a new case with Power supply and speaker. Fit the motherboard in there. Ensure you read the motherboard manual and insert the headers in the right pins.

The two headers you need to start with will be the speaker and power on.

You need a cpu on the motherboard. You need RAM on the motherboard. You need video out via AGP or PCI or on board.

I suggest you use a keyboard and mouse that will fit. Don't plug in a hard drive or floppy drive.

If you get ONE beep after this then add extra hardware.

You should get "no bootable drive"

willie_M
09-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Sweet! The speaker does work..

I took the mobo out of the case and placed it on a box.

I turned it on.

It did 1 long beep, and 3 short, paused then 1 short...

And it just turned itself on.. ?:| But there is no switch plugged in... i turned it on by shorting the power pins before but it just turned itself on...

willie_M
09-10-2004, 12:05 AM
....and the BIOS is phoenix...

and it just turned itself on again... no there isnt anything near the pins that could have turned it on..

willie_M
09-10-2004, 12:12 AM
ok, put in the video card (PCI) turned it on... no beeps! but no display either ?:|
The LCD screen on the monitor says signal fail.

metla
09-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Did you look up what that series of beeps relates to?

zqwerty
09-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Do you have a "known good" video card?

drb1
09-10-2004, 02:28 AM
If i remember, this thing has onboard display, play with that and the jumpers for it and the agp see what happens.

Ten try new std display card in all slots and with all jumper combinations.

There is some form of life.

Be systematic in your eliminations.

Clear comos before you start.

This thing could have CIH,

D.

willie_M
09-10-2004, 02:29 AM
>Did you look up what that series of beeps relates to?
Ya mean a page back? That was for awardbios.
Google......

Ok thats strange, I just went to listen to the beeps again and I took out the PCIVGA, left the cable unplugged, it did its beeps, but i plugged the cable in to onboard, and it started working...

This after leaving the cmos battery out since my last post.

Weird... we've tried all that before and now it works... something must be shorting it underneath...

I'm gonna leave this post, and see if I can keep it going but if I can't i'll come back...

>Do you have a "known good" video card?
Not known but highly likely...

drb1
09-10-2004, 02:35 AM
Get the F@#$%&^&*(~g thing to run.

With an O/S on the bench!

Before touching the display, or any other pci again!

Then you can go forward, and back if there are problems.

D.

willie_M
09-10-2004, 11:23 PM
I managed to get win2k loaded which had been installed when the thing worked...

However with either RAM sticks after about 10 minutes of windows booting and logging in, it crashes to a BSOD whining about a Physical Memory Dump ?:|
Now, I went to start it up again to reinstall windows, and the hard drive was making a noise like the platters were scrapping on the inner casing... about every two seconds it goes brrr.. brrr... brrr and sometimes brrrrrbr.

Very strange I think this motherboard is a hardware killer? x(

Is it possible that when and if the motherboard was shorting to something on the case, this in turn damaged the RAM?

Very very strange goings on here... I believe paranormal powers to be at large. Everytime I get anywhere something else happens... WTF?

drb1
09-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Willie,

If I remember correctly, a cat (Probably displeased with its care givers) deposited a volume of liquid on the original unit.

How much of the H/W is from that unit and contaminated?

This stuff (no likeey liquideee you knoweee) '

Put ram else were memtest. get h/d test utility for that brand, you know the story.

From where did the "replacement" mobo arrive, Via the local deceased Estate Auction perhaps?

Perhaps the owner just has bad Karma.

Put memory and h/d in warm dry place for a while perhaps?

D.

ugh1
10-10-2004, 11:02 AM
> I am my own repair shop :D
>
> Umm, I tried changing the FSB settings but to no
> avail... This board has a jumper for BIOS or DIP
> switch fsb settings... tried all but it's no
> diferent.
>
> There is definitely hard drive activity... the system
> starts up as normal, just without display...
>
> There are no beeps, we have tried the built in video,
> a PCI graphics card, and now 3 different PSU's.
>
> Whats the possiblitlity of something being shorted by
> something? Could static have damaged only the
> graphics capability and PCI?
>
> Can anyone think of anything else? :'( This
> kid keeps bugging me to let him on my computer and
> it's pissing me off! He seems to think its my fault
> its broken....

When the MB was removed from your Dads PC was there any brown colured washers between the MB and the mounting posts ( if metal ) or are you using plastic stand offs?

willie_M
11-10-2004, 12:41 AM
>How much of the H/W is from that unit and contaminated?
The only stuff remaining is... well... the Case, CDROM, HDD, and FDD.... maybe a cable or two... Maybe the RAM but i dont think so... The cat pee-ed in the PCI slots... far away from any other hardware... (its a desktop case so it didnt spray... it was sit and pee.)

>Put ram else were memtest. get h/d test utility for that brand, you know the story.
Tested the RAM with memtest already.. no probs there, tho the tester kept repeating after finishing. I think that hdd is forked, grinding and **** yknow :D

>From where did the "replacement" mobo arrive, Via the local deceased Estate Auction perhaps?
My dads PC.

>Put memory and h/d in warm dry place for a while perhaps?
Will that help? ?:| I'll give it a try... i might freeze that knifesharpner of a hard drive...

>was there any brown colured washers between the MB and the mounting posts
There were no washers, and i cant remember if it was standoffs or spacers...

drb1
11-10-2004, 01:50 AM
Freez?

Many new H/D platters have/are glass composite.

Glass not like freezer.

If you are confident it has died there is no reason not to very carefully remove the top cover.

Sterile conditions are required no fingers on platters.

I found a pice of body hair under a r/rw head once, removed with tweesers (Not touching platter) like new.

D.

willie_M
12-10-2004, 12:20 AM
>If you are confident it has died there is no reason not to very carefully remove the top cover.
Very carefully... if I was to remove it carefully, I would be expecting it to work. But if I was to remove it at all, it's buggered pretty much.

Isn't it? All the gas leaks out and your r/w head starts a tappin on the platters?

Murray P
12-10-2004, 12:52 AM
No gas in there, except the constituants of air, Willie but, I'd be very carefull poping the lid.

Cheers Murray P

willie_M
13-10-2004, 03:27 PM
I thought there was an inert gas such as xenon that kept the air lighter or something to enable the r/w head to skim nanometres off the surface of the disk???

Graham L
13-10-2004, 04:21 PM
No. There is a very fine filter on a small hole which lets air in and out so the HDA is always at atmospheric pressure. The heads are aerodynamically designed to "fly" very low over the disk surfaces.

Taking the cover of a drive is final. If it's not done in clean-room conditions, it can never be trusted again. The dust in a normal room will much bigger then the head-media gap.