PDA

View Full Version : Reformatting a laptop...help?

Jase1
23-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Hi guys

Just got a friend's laptop here with me, he wanted me to reformat the whole thing. Normally I could do it within an hour or so though I've just realised that I couldnt format his HDD in dos with a 98bootup disk... , due to the HDD is in NTFS. So is there any way of wiping out his HDD before I put on a fresh install of XP Pro? I think you can do it with WinXp CD though for some reason I had never managed to wipe the HDD out completely :( . Any suggestions for this?

Also another problem is that my friend had also lost the System Restore Disks...though I'm sure the drivers can be downloaded off the net from searching the Laptop model number....right?

His laptop: Compaq Evo N1020v and with WinXP Pro installed

Thanks alot

Jase Sen

metla
23-09-2004, 10:57 AM
does he have a recovery partition?

try hitting f10 on boot.

nomad
23-09-2004, 11:00 AM
try fdisk and delete that partition etc..
then reassign the drive.
then format with the dos diskette. if you are installing win2k or XP (or even win98) i think you don't need to format, set-up would do it. booting off the windows CD.

Jase1
23-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Sadly it doesnt have a revcovery partition. I did thought of using Fdisk and doing it that way, though that would take SOME TIME to do...especially when formating he drive...>_<.

To nomad
When you said 'set-up would do it' ....if you dont mind me asking, where about during the setup can you select that option. Cause I've tried it before on my PC...after the installation most things were deleted but there were still a huge chunk of stuff lefted over. Or else I've just done it wrong ?:|

Thanks for you guys quick reply ^^

Jase Sen

Susan B
23-09-2004, 11:29 AM
I don't know about your situation but with a "normal" computer (ie without recovery CDs or partitions) I just delete the partition if there is only one and then create a new one, or reformat it if there are more than one.

Are you sure there is no recovery partition? Did you try pressing F10 upon bootup? Do it from a cold start rather than a reboot.

The FAQ section has a number of FAQs that might be of some use - have a look at #47 and perhaps #42 and #45. Link to FAQs top right of this page.

Jase1
23-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Yeah I can easily do it with normal PCs I've just never tried with a laptop or branded PC before, alway used to to DIY PCs :) . And yeah, there is no recovery partition. Theres only 2 partitions, one with Window and another just for storing data/stuff. Also what exactly does the recovery partition do? Does it just restoring Window stuffs?

Btw, with branded laptops can I install any copy of XP on to it? Cause I heard there are locks or restrictions on branded laptops and PC, saw it on some forum quite a while ago... . Cause I dont wanna stuff up his laptop and have it send back to where ever it came from :( .

Sorry for so many questions >_<

Thanks

metla
23-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Do you realise the recovery partition will be hidden unless view with disk management software?

I would be tracking down a manual and having a read quite smartly if i was you.

And yeah,as long as you can find drivers then you can install any OS you feel like,Perhaps back up the drivers before doing any futher mucking around.

nomad
23-09-2004, 01:35 PM
I think with the windows setup, it just comes up when you make a selection. think when you tell it where you want to install. It then says a reinstall, a repair or a clean install something like that ....

Formatting does not take too long ... leave it on and do something else.
I had a hidden partition, when I reinstalled another windows it deleted the F10 feature. I was unable to get it back. This was viewable under sytem untilities something in win2k think it was under system properties or diagnostics .. I could see the partition but I just could not get the files... I believe after I deleted it I found a link on the webpage where you can restore that F10 .... Anyway, I got them to send me a restore CD for win98. I am not using it but win2k. Compaq may have something similar? Hunt on their website..

nomad
23-09-2004, 01:39 PM
even if you just deleted the partition the main one. and plonk the CD inside to boot windows should detect and make the approp things for you. think this is after it "analyse" your computer.

but yeah, have a hunt for the file mgmt software before hand.

nomad
23-09-2004, 01:54 PM
I had a look there appears to be no download to get this working
drivers and etc. avail:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/EvoNotebook/us/locate/64_5178.html

this allwo you ro reset the registy settings
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/EvoNotebook/us/download/16223.html

nomad
23-09-2004, 02:01 PM
According to this (http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=716493758+1095901043055+28 353475&threadId=648978) from HP you should have the QR (quick restore) disks....

Is that you on the discussion? Very similar to your case.
So .. reinstall with another OS? If you decide to format with a bootdisk or with windows setup they are about the same length of time really .. just done separately.

nomad
23-09-2004, 02:06 PM
the recovery partition basically sets the HDD back to factory default. Just like when you use the manufacturer's disk to reinstall. I believe your own files would be lost. A way so they do not need to supply you a CD I guess .. it does the same job.... some laptops ultraportables which do not have CD drives has a v good use thou :D

If you are thinking of protection. I am assuming if you have the Compaq's CD it cannot be installed to other Compaq models and non Compaq. A protection thing...

Jase1
24-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Thanks alot for everyones help. Everything is all done and went smoothly.

Thanks ^^

Jase sen