PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone signed up to Telecoms Broadband lately ?

Digby
23-09-2004, 07:31 AM
I would be interested to hear from PC World users that have recently signed up to Telecom's latest "broadband" promotion.

Are they happy with the speed and the monthly bill and the cap and extra charges.

Regards

Digby
Tauranga

andy
23-09-2004, 07:39 PM
This is my second month on the 1 gig surf deal. Yes I am happy with the speed - it sure beats dial up even if its not as fast as work (Waikato Tech). I managed to use 750 mb last month but I downloaded SP2 plus a few movie bits. I'm up to 200 mb this month with a week to go so I haven't experienced overruns and quite honestly I don't expect to. I was only using about 25 mb a month on dialup. Best thing is being able to use the phone while on the net.

andy

leonidas5
23-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Hi Digby

Have had 1 gig Telecom broadband now for three months: it remains the core of the later promotion. Surf quite widely but not into much video or music. Have stayed well under limit. Speed certainly a lot better than dial-up - there is an occasional hold-up eg PressF1 today for a short while, but all in all I am more than happy.
The ability to use phone is a major plus for the system - we no longer miss calls or frustrate callers with call minder!
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/emoticons/happy.gif
Price at 39.95 I consider good - it is only $12 month more than dial-up

Veale
24-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Signed up to Telecom Jetstream about 3 months ago, i think its $80 a month for unlimited (10gb of fast then it slows down)

We got free installation and three months free so we've had free fast internet so far! Have no complaints at all with it.

kbcad
24-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Have been on Telecom's Broadband for about 3 months (1Gb deal) Find it miles better than dial up, for speed and convenience (E-mail doesn't crash out now during large file downloads). Up 'till last week never got near to the 1Gb/month allowed but now am on MSN Messenger, with video/audio connection and have shot over my limit. Am upgrading to the 3GB deal, which at $59:95/month is still cheaper than 'phone calls to the UK (even though Telecom does a great job there.) KB.

Pete O\'Neil
24-09-2004, 04:17 PM
kbcad have a look at Skype or a similar program

Digby
24-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys

Four very positive replies and well detailed they were !

Damn, I was hoping that you would all have been disappointed with it !

I still feel we are being ripped off and fed slow technology bit by bit (as it were) here in NZ.

Other countries are miles ahead of us due to their unbundling etc etc.

My thoughts were that the best way to get a good deal finally out of Telecom is to NOT SIGN up to their jetsream or jetsurf so that it will embarress them to the government when they have promised to have 250,000 users by next year.

Regards

Digby

stu120404
24-09-2004, 06:51 PM
> I still feel we are being ripped off and fed slow
> technology bit by bit (as it were) here in NZ.

have a read of this Telecom DSL: It's about Time!!!!!! (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=51770)

annie
25-09-2004, 11:15 AM
We got Jestream when we moved into a newly built house 2 months ago, and because of the horror of the building/moving/house not finished/cats not coping thing decided to get it installed by a Telecom agent. All fine, couldn't go back to dialup now without murdering someone thru frustration at slowness, and it's great being able to use the phone at the same time. The only gripe I have is that we got a telecom agent-supplied modem (?Alcatel Speedtouch) which works well but came completely free of any documentation not written by a public relations person or aimed at a reading age of 8 or more. I haven't got around yet to looking for an online user manual, and only hope there is one. I'm about to add a second computer to the network via cat 5 cable, and since I've never had dealings with a network of any sort, will be sure to need documentation.
However Jetstream has been in all a great move that I'm happy with.