PDA

View Full Version : New XP Install: Partition

unbiasedadventure
22-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Hi, I've migrated from Apple MacOS to Windows, so work with me here...

I've read previous posts about partitioning drives (like the sticky FAQ says) but still totally lost.

I've got an external 80GB firewire drive, and an internal 120Gb drive.

I'd like to partition both the external and internal drive, pref. using a "treat me like an idiot" Windows GUI app

Can someone tell me if I can do this within XP, or if there's a nice GUI app that will let me do this.

I can't see XP can do this, my PC came with XP Home installed.

Hopefully this isn't rocket science ;)

Help appreciated.

tweak\'e
22-09-2004, 09:13 PM
for a "treat me like an idiot" Windows GUI app you will need to buy a program such as partition magic.

there are free partiton programs around but none are windows GUI.

Murray P
22-09-2004, 09:21 PM
What make are the hard drives? Seagate for example has DiskWizard which you can download for free. The latest version is a fairly easy to understand pie chart (just like a disk) which you divide up and use a slider to size. I'm sure it works with other drives makes, I've only got Seagates at the mo, but I believe the other manufacturers will have similar. Hopefully they're as easy to use.

BTW, what prompted you give up Mac for Windows? Why not head straight for Linux?? ;)

Cheers Murray P

unbiasedadventure
23-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback - my external is a firewire LaCie.

Parition Magic, looks like I need to shell out $US, better start saving.

When you go to partition a drive, what's the method/best way to determine what % split to make it all, or is it abit random?

Susan B
23-09-2004, 10:31 AM
> When you go to partition a drive, what's the method/best way to determine what % split to make it all, or is it abit random?

It depends on how you want it set up. Have a look at FAQ #43 on this forum. Link to FAQs top right of this page.