PDA

View Full Version : Windows ME Product Key

ddob
22-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Hi Guy's,
HELP - my friends computer needs to have Windows ME reinstalled but we cant for the love of us find the product key anywhere. Have tried going into the registry but no luck. It is not on the back of the cd cover.
The computer cannot connect to the net at the moment so checking on the net for any programs that might assist are no good. Any Ideas would be very much appreciatted.
Danny

Jen C
22-09-2004, 10:07 PM
There is no small Microsoft Product sticker anywhere on the computer case?

Exwesty
22-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Hmmm, why anybody would want to put ME back on again is a worry...

Is it a Beige box pc i.e locally made or is it a manufactured PC from a brand name?

If it's a brandname then you may have a recovery partition, and a recovery CD that came with the pc, the key maybe a label stuck to the side, the back or inside the case of the pc. If it was locally made then it may have been preloaded. Have you got an original CD?
There was a post earlier this week regarding some freeware programs that will locate your key for you.. if I can locate the post I'll link it.

tweak\'e
22-09-2004, 10:10 PM
>Have tried going into the registry but no luck

what do you mean by no luck?

search for product key.

Exwesty
22-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Check out this post

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=51524

Mzee
23-09-2004, 12:46 AM
Is your ME CD a full version or an upgrade? They have different keys.
It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to find a key on the Internet. Have to use someone elses computer.
You are unlikely to find the key on the computer as it is encrypted.

Don't take any notice of people denigrating ME. It is the best of the DOS based systems, but if you want real stability the NT4, 2000 & XP family are tops.

the highlander
23-09-2004, 12:58 AM
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Before I get zapped by a mod I hasten to point out this is used to identify your own currently installed key. It doesnt generate them.

Chilling_Silence
23-09-2004, 01:41 AM
Ive use Magical Jellybean... Good tool :-)

Personally there's easier ways to install windows 9x that have to hunt down where you put your Cd-key, But that'd get me shot by Mod for sure :p