PDA

View Full Version : Win modems & Mandrake 10 Community

KevCole
22-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Hi

I have a smartlink 56k internal modem...but I can not get Mandrake to recognise the modem...I have heard that most Linux OS do not recognise win/software modems? Having said this..coming from a adequate knowledge Microsoft background...I have difficulties understading the modem setup lingo...

Is there a fix????

AMD Athlon XP 2500+\
512 meg
10 gig partition
cd writer/dvd drive

beama
22-09-2004, 06:29 PM
hopes Jen, Chill, Susan B sees this post opps and Graham also
try here (http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/) for that driver (module)
thats where I got mine for redhat (it has them for your distrubition as well). and I also had a lot of help from those forum members metioned earlier (thanks guys and girls).
One word of advice from another linux newbie, always read the instructions well
word of warning for those nice knowledgable linux people in this forum Im about to try a apt get -i kenel etc on a debian system (is that dust I see from linux users running into the distance :p)

Jen C
22-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Hi

There is a beta Linux driver available from the modem manufacturer that you may wish to try out. Go here (http://www.smlink.com/main/index1.php?ln=en&main_id=40) and agree to the Terms and Conditions, the follow your nose to the Linux driver section. It is a file called slmodem-2.9.10.tar.gz - version 2.9.10 - it supports the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

Download the file and extract it. Inside the new directory there is a README, so read it :). One of the important things you must have is your kernel source installed. I'm not sure whether Mandrake includes this on the install disk, but have a look at the Drake package manager and see if you can find them (I am unfamiliar with how Mandrake does things).

Once you have your kernel source installed, you will need to compile the driver following the instructions in the README. This will need to be done from a Terminal or Konsole window.

I have only had to install drivers for one winmodem so far, so I am not experienced with troubleshooting winmodems if it goes pear-shaped sorry.

>I have heard that most Linux OS do not recognise win/software modems?
A lot of the winmodem drivers are not readily available. If the manufacturers would release the source code or other chipset details for their modems, there wouldn't be this problem. People who wish to use non-Linux friendly modems (ie Manufacturers not willing to make Linux drivers available like they do for Windows), rely upon the Open Community to do their best with what information they have about the modem. So blame the manufacturers and not the OS for this problem.

Rob99
23-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Good luck, and could you let us know how you get on.

KevCole
23-09-2004, 12:51 AM
Thx for the info...I downloaded the sl modem driver...I am struggling with the terminology having come from a win XP background...will give these modem identification programs ago

Graham L
23-09-2004, 01:21 PM
You have the kernel source code on one of the Installation CDs, and you will need to install the "Development" package to get the compiler and other tools.

You will probably have to have a bit of a think about what kernel package to load. ;-)

It's said to be necessary to do a bit of preparation before you compile a driver ... I've always compiled kernels anyway, so haven't needed to do it. Just cd /usr/src/linux* then make oldconfig. That will be busy for a while and make some configuration files which will make any drivers compiled compatible with your installed kernel.

I installed M10 last night on a "new" box. It looks nice --- except for their stupid automatic partitioning.

Antonia
23-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi Kev'

I took the easy way out and bought an external 56K modem through Trade Me. Cost me $22 plus $5 postage.

It is a Dynalink and worked immediately after plug in. There are lots of external modems for sale at Trade Me so you might get one cheaper.

I tried to get the internal modem to work with a downloaded Linux driver but was unsuccessful. Just gave up in the end. I would have had to pay US$ 14.95 anyway to get the full version of the driver compatible with our Conexant internal modem.

Good luck with Linux , Antonia