PDA

View Full Version : Problems with new Cable Modem

BlinkyBill
22-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Hi,

I have Windows XP Pro with SP2, Kerios Personal Firewall 4.1, Symantec Anti-virus.

The tech came in to install Paradise Cable to my PC. Because of a 'fault with the work order', he didn't configure or test the modem. I plugged the modem into a new Wireless Router and set up TCP/IP settings as required (static IP address). I couldn't configure the router properly because the wizard required internet access to be available, and advised that I make sure to set that up first.

OK. I unplugged the router and plugged the Motorola Surfboard into the lan port. Turned on the power and started everything up. No access to the internet.

I can ping the lan card and the cable modem. I can't ping anything else. Modem status lights are good with PC Activity flickering. No access to the internet.

I removed Kerios PF 4.1 (there are big problems with this release), and then SP2 from Windows XP Pro. So I have no firewall that I know of. No improvement and still can't access the internet. Paradise help desk are stumped and advised that I should ring Microsoft in respect of SP2.

Dial-up still works. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should try next?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
22-09-2004, 01:08 PM
tracert out to an internet IP address (such as google's) and see where it stops.

Murray P
22-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Get up the food chain at Paradise/Telstra Clear help desk. If it's a modem/connection problem it is their responsibilty to fix. Has you cable connection been confirmed, can Paradise access the modem or conform the connection (is it live) or has someone forgotton to throw the switch. The fact you have no activity on the WAN (internet) indicator light suggests a problem there, hows the connection to the wall outlet?

I've had no problems with Kerio 4.1, have the problems only surfaced since XP SP2?

Anyway, as suggested with the lack of WAN connection it's either a modem. connection/line or enabling issue at the ISP issue, not within your PC.

Cheers Murray P

BlinkyBill
23-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi,

thanks for your help - the problem is solved. The technician left me the wrong gateway and subnet settings (possibly a dyslexia problem). I got quite a knowledgable tech at Paradise last night who quickly resolved the problem and got me going.

Bill

TonyF
23-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Just for the record, what did they recommend for gateway/subnet ?
Cheers Tony

BlinkyBill
24-09-2004, 10:05 AM
gateway is 203.79.116.1; subnet is 255.255.252.0
Bill

theother1
24-09-2004, 10:41 AM
When I connected recently the tech wasn't able to get it to connect and blamed the modem, ("they are second hand", he said) and went off to do some other jobs and to pick up a new modem.
Me, being me decided to "fiddle" with a few settings and, voila! connected.
Unfortunately, I used the shotgun method and am not sure as to which fiddle was the one that worked. However, when I get a chance I will see if I can remember.
Happy fiddling,
Rob

theother1
24-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Have you tried the repair button under lan connections? and under LAN settings the only box with anything in it should be the address.
You probably know all that but worth checking.

theother1
26-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Hey Billy,
Did you ever get this sorted? Or have you lost your connection altogether?