PDA

View Full Version : windows XP shutting down

kings
22-09-2004, 11:41 AM
A friend of mine has a HP pavilion,her computer got a virus.we managed to get rid of it with Nortons.but the computer was still very sick it was very slow and after running spy bot and adaware I called HP and they told me how to reformat the system. On HP computers you have 2 choices I chose the choice that saves enough information to not have to reinstall everything.all seemed to work like new until last week,now when she goes to shut down her computer she is getting a message saying error I/O 123 ..and the computer will not shut down.any thoughts.

Spacemannz
22-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Try setting the BIOS at its defaults. Then setup whatever needs to be configured. Then save the BIOS settings. And reboot.

Or go into control panel / system / device manager. See whats not working or has a X ! or other by it. If theres anything with one of these. Delete it reboot.

Are the latest drivers for it installed? What does the error say exactly??

Error I/O ??? is it it just 123?

Other than the above, I would completely format the system, or install SP1 or 2 to see if it fixes it.

Robby
23-09-2004, 09:35 AM
gidday,

Unfortunatly It depends how deep the problem is, and a choosing partial recovery can sometimes lead lot of updating, and editing, as I found on my Pavilion. It would be best I think, to save any information to a disc, that you wish to keep, and execute a full format and recovery.

cheers,

Robby