PDA

View Full Version : Parsing

effie C
22-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi,
After the nonsense of a few weeks ago - perhaps I can risk asking a damn fool question and not get into such a state :-)
I use - periodically a wallpaper of the northen half of N Z as taken from a satelite way above the country. It was put out by xtra and is really spectacular-however, after using another photo I tried to go back to this and was told"this is a bmp file and windows cannot parse the document"
What does this mean and how can I correct it.
When I delete all reference and reload from a f/d I get the same thing .
Finally on trying to open anything at all,after the double click I get photoshop v 7 take over and set it up. I normally would only use photoshop to do just that - work on photos, so it has to be something connected
I have had no trouble opening this and using it before
Effie c

Spacemannz
22-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Are you using XP?? If you're trying to put a wallpaper on XP, try changing it to JPG. NOT BMP. Load the pic in Photoshop and then save as a JPG pic.

Is it the wallpaper, onto the desktop, youre trying to load, or the BMP into photoshop??

effie C
22-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Hi Spacemannz,
No I have had this wallpaper on my xp for as long as I have had XP- a year or so, the thing that intrigues me- it worked as it always had until 3 days ago
I have had no trouble getting the file to show in photo shop- and that also begs th equestion - why does photoshop automatically open when I double click the bmp picture- again it did not used to.
It is not critical to have this wallpaper- spectacular as it is- I just want to know why this has happened--- and learn,once again
However I wil now try and change the file- though I can see a repeat of the problem 'cos as I said earlier I deleted all to do with the picture and then inserted th f/d and the puta still did the same thing- again why?
effie c

Biggles
22-09-2004, 12:16 PM
>why does photoshop automatically open when I double click the bmp picture- again it did not used to.

At some point PS has been assigned as the default app for the .bmp file, which is why it opens in PS.

If PS won't open it correctly it implies the file has been corrupted in some way, suspect.

zqwerty
22-09-2004, 12:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parse

This has happened to me if the files are very large as in pictures of the Universe taken by Hubble at hi res.

Try opening in IrfanView and reducing the size then save as a jpg.

effie C
22-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi Bruce Buckman--- Gee ! I am getting up with the hierachy :-)
Thanks anyway ----
this corrupt file suggests I had better delete Photoshop and re install?
The file as commented on by Zquerty, is big - it takes a long time to transmit for a start, yet it loads up O K--- normally
Just prior to this post I tried to change the file names, with no success--
for what it is worth here is the exact notice in a small window that comes up when I try to open the picture/file:-

Could not open"C:\documents and settings\my name\my documents\Internet Explorer Wallpaper bmp" because the file format module cannot parse the file.
and it aso says this is a bitmap image.

Too much info? I hope not -- I am quite stuck as to succeeding with the correcting details, you people tell me of, though as I said it is not critical to the use of the puta- being me, I want to correct any errors, that is all.

O K if I can not get any result from this post/reply --- can I delete PS and re install?--- or will th eputa be preset to the default?
effie c

Susan B
22-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Eddie, you are running Win XP aren't you? Not long ago I wanted to put a .bmp file on my desktop and I discovered that without Active Desktop enabled it will not allow .bmp files to be used. It was enabled initially but for some reason it got disabled - maybe because I used a .jpg file instead? I am not sure.

I can't remember now how to enable Active Desktop in Win XP (it is different to Win 98) but didn't bother because it was too much hassle.

Anyway, just thought that might point you in the right direction if it is actually your problem. You are probably better off doing as suggested and saving your image as a .jpg and using that.

Biggles
22-09-2004, 01:05 PM
>I had better delete Photoshop and re install

No, I doubt the issue is with PS. I would do as suggested though and try sizing it down - matching your desktop dimensions and try re-saving as a bmp or jpg then.

metla
22-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Do not uninstall PS,its not part of the problem,if anything its the picture itself which has gone belly up,if no other BMP files exibit this bahavior then the problem is isolated to that file.

Delete it.

metla
22-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Bah,speed posters.

effie C
22-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Thank you Susan B and Bruce Buckman and Metla- all very very interesting- if operators like you guys get this - perhaps I am not so stupid as I thought.
Yes I started with W 98SE and that was when xtra put out the photo

Bruce and Metla I do have the CD for PS but thanks to your contribution I will retain the existing install- if deleting is not the answer.-- i just wondered what I had done wrong ( smithie 38 will accuse me of fiddling - as usual- and I am innocent :-)

I am a little intrigued though, as I could not even open the picture in PS to be able to change it's type to JPG, and the fact that when double clicked to set as wallpaper and/or to put it onto the processing page of P S and it still had to open PS before I could do a thing----the fact that I have had a f/d with it for several years ( it is so good I shared it with several people who I too have helped, and had no problems)---hence the query as to whether the PS was corrupt
O K I will trial and ( T)error for a while yet :-(
thanks once again

effie c--(Eddie)

Biggles
22-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Effie, try emailing it to me and I'll see if I can open it.
bruce_buckman@idg.co.nz

beama
22-09-2004, 05:01 PM
effie
try this open internet explorer resize that window to about half size, now find your image, left click (once) on it and hold while dragging it into the internet explorer window, if this works you should be able to see your image now right click on that image and select "set as background"
if it gives you any error message post them back here please.

Billy T
22-09-2004, 05:06 PM
*cough*

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "parsing" mean?

Anything to do with water or wind?

(I do really want to know BTW)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

effie C
22-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Hi Billy T and beama- yes old son(s) I too had to cough - Google says it is connected with the pixel rating - if so where in hell do I correct that - I resized my pixels definition down to the minimum and it did nothing to change the problem- went back and have chased around since--- I cannot even see where to copy and re size let alone change the file definition
Beama- I can see and click on "set as wallpaper" but it don't go- just comes up with cannot parse file :-(
I have e mailed Bruce Buckman as asked
can either of you two tell me where to change the file ?
effie c

Biggles
22-09-2004, 05:17 PM
I opened it in Photoshop using the Open As command, and tried opening it as a JPG rather than a BMP, which worked. It's only 640 x 480 though. It looks like at some stage it got turned into a JPG but still had the .bmp extension, which is why it couldn't be "parsed". Parsing in this sense just means the app opening it couldn't complete the job because the file format wasn't what it was expecting to find.

effie C
22-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Well done Bruce - how do I change to that ?
If you can do it I must be doing something stupid - what, pray?

Eddie

Biggles
22-09-2004, 05:24 PM
In Photoshop, choose the Open As command instead of open. Choose the file you want to open, but in the Open As drop down box beneath it choose .jpg.

Once you've got it open you can save it as whatever you like.

effie C
22-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Thank you Bruce- I am sorry this has taken so much of your time- but I have written down and saved all you have said and will now go forth to try- thanks all- if I get it done in time - I will reply on this forum- once more
effie c

zqwerty
22-09-2004, 05:41 PM
I put a link right at the beginning of this thread which went some way to explain "parse".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parse

effie C
22-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Re JPG file - found out how to change that as per Bruce Buckman's advice- but get the same little window"cannot open this(now jpg file) cannot be parsed- what am I missing Bruce?
Eddie

Biggles
22-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Hmm, I juyst tried making the JPG I saved from the one you sent me my desktop and it worked fine.

Check your email - I sent it to you and it is the same file I just set as my desktop wallpaper.

effie C
22-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Hi got it - I must have had the shakes when I clicked on JPG - it now works-again than you one and all