PDA

View Full Version : Dual CPU good for gaming?

Rpg_pro
21-09-2004, 11:46 PM
I just got a dual P3 1ghz so 2ghz total, is it any better for gaming than a single p3 cpu? im using winxp
thanks

Murray P
21-09-2004, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't think there was too much difference between dual and single CPU's at equivalent overall CPU speed, I'm no expert but I don't thing the ability to multi task is a strong requirement for a game. Ram and GPU (graphics card) are more important for gaming, so the board those P3's are running won't be able to be fitted with the best ram and vid card for running modern games (that's if you want to run the modern games).

Cheers Murray P

metla
22-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Nope.

Excellent for gaming and maybe encoding video at the same time,that is if your os and applications can make use of the resources,which is highly doubtful.

You would see a benifit on programs designed to utilise 2 cpu's,a highend video suite for example....

Rpg_pro
22-09-2004, 07:31 AM
ATM i have a 1ghz, 380 odd mb ram and a 256 gfx card... with a dual p3 1ghz with the same ram and gfx would i see any difference?

Rpg_pro
22-09-2004, 07:41 AM
Also i always do alot of cd burning.... and i seem to "lag" when im buring a disk and doing something else at the same time, with this help over come this "lag"?

Pete O\'Neil
22-09-2004, 09:51 AM
> I just got a dual P3 1ghz so 2ghz total, is it any
> better for gaming than a single p3 cpu? im using
> winxp
> thanks
Dual 1GHz are nothing like a single 2GHz chip. You'll notice that windows is more responsive when multitasking, and may also notice a very small preformance increases in games but nothing significant. In order for a game or peice of software to make use of dual CPU's it actually needs to have support for dual CPU's. The only game that supports dual CPU's is Quake3, alot of professional image editing software etc supports dual CPU's.

Unless you reguarly work with software capable of using both CPU's then the upgrade to dual CPU's is a poor choice. Buying a cheap Athlon will offer superior preformance and probably be cheaper aswell.

tweak\'e
22-09-2004, 10:18 AM
don't forget the OS. you will need XPpro to use dual cpu's.

Patrick 2003
22-09-2004, 10:40 AM
to use the dual cpu's the software must support dual cpu's other wise it wont use the 2 cpu's at once, good luck because there arent many general applications that support dual cpu's. dual cpu's are mostly designed for servers not a gaming rig but have fun with it anyway :D

alphazulusixeightniner
22-09-2004, 02:21 PM
> don't forget the OS. you will need XPpro to use dual cpu's.

Not quite true, Windows 2000 support dual CPU and all of the 2000 server editions, lots of linux distributions. Have a look over here:

http://www.2cpu.com/articles/6_1.html

> to use the dual cpu's the software must support dual cpu's other wise it wont use the 2 cpu's at once, good luck because there aren't many general applications that support dual cpu's.

If it is a single threaded program the OS will run the program to work off one CPU primarily which leaves the other CPU available to do other stuff which is great if you want to do 5 things at once, but it won't perform as well as a program that has been written specifically for multithreading (to run off 2 CPUs at the same time). Good new programs now try to include multithreading into the program to make better advantage of the Pentium 4's hyper threading feature.

Possibly Doom3 might have good support for two CPUs seing John Cormack was part of the design team, can anyone confirm that?

Basically you should be able to multitask very nicely and the system should feel a bit more responsive than a single processor system like an Athlon when running a few things at once. In most cases 2 x 1Ghz CPUs doesn't equal 2Ghz performance in a program unless you have a program that is very well written to use both CPUs.

Rpg_pro
22-09-2004, 05:56 PM
> don't forget the OS. you will need XPpro to use dual
> cpu's.

XP Pro? what about home? or does it have to be pro?

Rpg_pro
22-09-2004, 06:02 PM
ahh that site answerd my question about the os :)

DangerousDave
23-09-2004, 01:45 AM
> Possibly Doom3 might have good support for two CPUs
> seing John Cormack was part of the design team, can
> anyone confirm that?

Since Quake 3 is dual CPU compatable then I suspect Doom 3 will follow the same specs. Especially since the Doom3 engine will have a lifespan (and hence forward looking/future proof) of several years and Intel and AMD will be releasing dual core CPU's soon. This is of course John Carmack got bored and went off to go make rockets or drive ferraris!

Seriously though, back on topic, at the moment dual CPU's are useless for gaming. Its not worth the money - especially considering the high cost of dual CPU mobo's. I doubt without some drastic programming re-design for games then dual core CPU's won't have much of an effect. I suspect programmers will shove AI on one core and everything else on the other although bus bottlenecks will probably cancel most of the gains out. No doubt we'll find out how this works with the release of Playstation3 and mainstreaming of dual core CPUs. But at the moment i'd avoid dual CPU's for gaming, unless of course, your favourite game involves database servers ;)

- David

Kame
23-09-2004, 05:10 AM
Gaming wise, well it depends on the games itself and whether multithreading is implemented otherwise load balancing would be evened out by the OS.

Windows XP Pro continually crashed while playing 3D Games (Win2K Pro was better), it was spontaneous and there seemed to be no answer to why it happened. Eventually switched over to linux and never turned back.

Comparing Dual 1GHz to a Single 2GHz, there is a difference, but one thing for sure is 1GHz can balance the workload and the bottleneck is less apparent, in theory, the performance of Dual 1GHz is similar to 1.5GHz, but it can take a lot and it's rare to see your CPU maxing out.

cheers,

KK

NeOeVaD
20-06-2005, 07:56 AM
does anyone have a list of all multithreaded games? preferrably fairly recent games? Or does anyone know if it is likely that more and more games will be multithreaded in the future?

Greven
20-06-2005, 08:45 PM
the only mainstream game that currently supports dual CPU is Quake 3. I expect that soon after the Xbox 360 is released, we will see a lot of cheap ports that take advantage of dual core/CPU, and by the time the PS3 releases, we will see a few well thought out games designed from thte ground up to take advantage of dual core and/or dual CPU PCs.