PDA

View Full Version : Internet usage monitor program

GraemeP
20-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Does anyone use an internet usage monitoring program and comment on its reliability - such as OnlineEye or Down2go. I'm thinking of getting the broadband 1GB plan from Telstra/Saturn and want to get an idea of the traffic volume I'm using.

Are internet usage monitor programs "invasive" and can interfere with the normal operation of your system e.g. do they modify system DLLs or things like that?

Graeme

KatiMike
21-09-2004, 12:07 AM
a few ideas (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=45240&message=252692&q=internet+usage#252692) :)

Patrick 2003
21-09-2004, 01:57 PM
use google and find Down2Home,im using this right now, its goods as, easy install, you cant go wrong:D

Davesdad
21-09-2004, 04:13 PM
The problem with an Internet usage monitor and cable is the constant broadcast traffic between the cable modem and the PC. This way over estimates the amount of Internet traffic used. I set up Dumeter to alert me when traffic reached 1GB but when I checked on the Paradise usage meter I had only used about 120MB. Paradise will alert you by email when you reach 800MB but if you want to keep a closer eye on your usage you will need to check the Paradise usage meter.

If anyone has experience with other meters such as down2home with cable I would like to here.

Davesdad

Murray P
21-09-2004, 05:28 PM
You could always set up an old PC and pop one of these (http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=firewalls) on it. Then you have a router, firewall, and with some of them, content filtering, usage (by type or IP even), proxy, sharing the connection, etc. Of course it will be more work than throwing a piece of software at your PC but you get other benefits as you can see and it won't use any of you PC's resourses. The cable modems don't have routing or NAT (firewall) capabilities so this will get you there all in one.

Cheers Murray P

Patrick 2003
21-09-2004, 07:42 PM
ive got dial up and down2home, in this you can see your total upload and dowloads together or uploads or downloads seperate

Budda
22-09-2004, 09:14 AM
net limiters rather good for this sort of thing