PDA

View Full Version : Dlink modem vs Uniden Dect phone

sam m
20-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Hi,
Colleague recently installed adsl with a Dlink dsl-302g. No problem at all with the adsl connection.

The problem is caller display on this dect phone. Prior to adsl it was working fine now it just displayed 'no data sent'.

When the adsl modem is turned off - caller display works.

The caller display phone is connected via the double filter adaptor that came with the modem.

We have tried moving phone to different jackpoint without success.

I have rung Uniden support who suggested using 2 filters - didnt work.

Any ideas?

sam m

godfather
20-09-2004, 09:36 PM
The key points here are that the ADSL signal on the phone line is not affected by turning off the modem. The signal comes from the exchange and does not know if the modem is turned on or not.

This suggests that the interference may not be coming from the ADSL signal itself.

More likely that the modem radiates a small amount of RF from its on-board electronics (that model is not a wireless router) that interferes with the phone electronics and prevents caller ID from working. Not much else it could be really.

The interference is probably RF and not via the phone line, hence double filters do not change the situation.

Locating the phone base unit and the phone itself as far as possible from the modem may help?

Confirms my impression of Uniden perhaps?

Raymondo
20-09-2004, 09:58 PM
> The key points here are that the ADSL signal on the
> phone line is not affected by turning off the modem.
> The signal comes from the exchange and does not know
> if the modem is turned on or not.
>
While I accept your logic Godfather, I have one unfiltered phone and it is unusable when the modem is turned on. All you get if you lift the handset is an ear full of static and the phone is unusable. Turn the modem off and that same phone works as normal on a perfectly quiet line.
>

Spacemannz
20-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Even tho its filtered I would say because the phone / line is analog and its still trying to go thru an adsl line. Its like if u try and use an adsl modem for faxing in Windows. It just wont work. Coz a faxmodem is analog, whereas adsl is most probably digital. They dont like each other.

sam m
20-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks GF

> Locating the phone base unit and the phone itself as
> far as possible from the modem may help?

If I'm reading this correctly, by relocating the base unit only would have little effect as the handset would still be in close proximity to the modem. (The idea of course is to use the phone while on the computer)

I have been talking to a few people about this and another person I know has an alcatel usb modem (looks like a stingray) with uniden dect phones and she has no such problems with caller display. I am guessing that these modems dont have the produce the same RF (rf=radio frequency??)

sam m

Raymondo
20-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Sam
Just out of interest I did a little searching on google and you get a lot of hits when you search with "ADSL and caller id". It appears to have been a problem for some time.

Where modems are mentioned DLink seem to feature prominently.

Some blame the filters they were using for their problems. I found some filter ads that, among other things claim, "This filter will not affect Caller ID."

Personal references such as:
Yet another success! I was only getting Caller ID when my ADSL router was switched off (D-link router), and I thought I would have to change the router, but the filters have fixed the problem. Is there anything these filters don't fix?!..

None of the above provide the answer but they at least show that you are not alone. Just persevere and you will probably find an answer for your particular situation.

sam m
21-09-2004, 05:29 AM
Thanks Raymondo
Food for thought - maybe some experimenting with some DSE filters might be the trick - if it dont work I can always take them back.

Cheers
sam m

godfather
21-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Caller ID uses "data" superimposed between the first and second ring cadence. A filter would have some effect, but should be negligible, as the data is quite low speed.

My fax machine works fine through a filter, and thats at higher speed.

When I installed ADSL I was warned off the DSE filters and advised to use Nokia ones. DSE actually kept them "off stock" and under the counter at the branch I dealt with because they performed better.

The problem may be a compound one, with more than one cause, but fixing either one may let it work?