PDA

View Full Version : swop Win98 for WinXP

Thomas01
20-09-2004, 01:03 PM
My desktop an early Pentium has lots of memory and a good graphics card etc. It runs Win98
My laptop runs WinXP
My first laptop got stolen, but clearing out my study the other day I came across the XP installation disk.
Now the s**s who stole my first laptop have no right to the OS so I presume I still own it and can put it in my desktop.
I have no experience of installing XP so have no idea of potential problems - would it be wise to install it in my desktop and would it be legal ?

Pete O\'Neil
20-09-2004, 01:16 PM
> My desktop an early Pentium has lots of memory and a
> good graphics card etc. It runs Win98
> My laptop runs WinXP
> My first laptop got stolen, but clearing out my study
> the other day I came across the XP installation disk.
>
> Now the s**s who stole my first laptop have no right
> to the OS so I presume I still own it and can put it
> in my desktop.
> I have no experience of installing XP so have no idea
> of potential problems - would it be wise to install
> it in my desktop and would it be legal ?
>

A) If its a Pentium1 then Windows XP wont run on your desktop. Could you be a lil more detailed in your description of your desktops hardware?

B)Was your copy of Windows XP OEM or Full? It most likely OEM which means legally it can only be used with the machine it was brought with.

C)Do you even have the CD Key?

Patrick 2003
20-09-2004, 01:57 PM
i agree what pete said, you wil never get xp running on the p1, mind you i have seen xp working on a cyrix 166 only just tho:D when you install xp dont you have to activate it and once you activate it you cant install it again?? ?:|

Mzee
20-09-2004, 03:51 PM
I would like to make the following points:-
1) If your XP has not been activated for over 4 months you should have no problem reactivating it.

2) If you have lost the code, or do have a problem, just phone Microsoft with the details, I am sure that they will give you a new code.

3) You are not hacking, cracking or duplicating your copy of XP. So long as you can activate it through the normal channels & the CD is yours, then it is legal.

3) You would be pushing it a bit with a Pentium1. I have installed XP in a Pentium2 with 128meg Ram (minimum) also an AMD K6. Both are a bit slow but stable. The biggest problem could be the drive size. You need a primary partition of about 4 gigs. Use Fat32 format. NTFS wastes too much space on small drives.

Patrick 2003
20-09-2004, 07:52 PM
> I would like to make the following points:-
> 1) If your XP has not been activated for over 4
> months you should have no problem reactivating it.
on a clean install?? how?
>
> 2) If you have lost the code
is this the code on the side of the case, when i activated mine i just clicked "activate windows xp" and didnt even have to enter any code

> 3) You would be pushing it a bit with a Pentium1. I
> have installed XP in a Pentium2 with 128meg Ram
> (minimum) 256 is pushing it as well, not really pushing it but more the better

godfather
20-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Windows XP activation *apparently* reset the system after about 4 months. That means it may not recognise the previous install and allow an activation.

However I am uncertain if Windows OEM versions are reset in this manner. In this particular case, if the disk came with the PC, its likely to be an OEM version and technically cannot be used on another PC under the licence agreement. But if it activates, its OK as its not really used elsewhere now - or is it? The burglar may still be running it?.

Its also possible that the disk is BIOS locked to only install on the (now missing) laptop.

The code on the side of the case (or on the CD packaging) should still be needed when you load the system. This may be less true for some esoteric OEM installs where everything is BIOS locked however. I seem to recall that one recently did not need it for the initial install from an OEM package.

Patrick 2003
20-09-2004, 08:18 PM
how do i know i have a OEM? i have a windows xp disk and it is bronze coloured and all cool colours that if you move it you can see the windows logo

godfather
20-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Usually OEM is either on a PC maker branded disk, or the words "for distribution with a new PC only" are faintly but clearly printed into the label.

Sounds like yours is a real MS disk, so if it does not have the above statement its probably not OEM.

Its unusual for an operating system to be supplied with a new PC to not be OEM. Its so much cheaper.

Patrick 2003
20-09-2004, 08:31 PM
lucky me then i have the real ms disk:D

Mzee
20-09-2004, 08:44 PM
My XP CD is an OEM version.
The activation clears after 4 months.
If you re-activate it on another computer, you will not be able to install it on the original for another 4 months.
You require the 'Product Key' on the box label to install it. Microsoft will then issue a new ID: which will have OEM in it. If it does not, then it is a retail version.

Patrick 2003
20-09-2004, 09:05 PM
ive read somewhere that when you add an important piece of hardware it triggers windows to activate it, what do you do there then? would this happen if i install a graphics card?

godfather
20-09-2004, 09:48 PM
It takes about 5 items changed to trigger it (or a new motherboard).

Then you ring MS and talk to them. If its genuine, a new activation is allowed.

NEVER had it happen though.
And have changed a lot.
Activations have always succeeded.
The 4 month rule perhaps, but really its a non-issue.

agent_24
20-09-2004, 10:08 PM
never had to re-activate apart from changing the CPU, didnt have to re-activate with new motherboard or anything

and ive changed/added more than 5 things