PDA

View Full Version : sims 2 running quite slowly!!!

yingxuan
20-09-2004, 12:14 PM
My friend has an athlon xp 2800+ with 512mb ram.

When running the game sims 2.The game runs quite slowly.Compared to the previous version the game runs quite reasonably slow.
Has anybody bought this game?
is it the game or the computer that is slow?

Pete O\'Neil
20-09-2004, 12:23 PM
> My friend has an athlon xp 2800+ with 512mb ram.
>
> When running the game sims 2.The game runs quite
> slowly.Compared to the previous version the game runs
> quite reasonably slow.
> Has anybody bought this game?
> is it the game or the computer that is slow?

It might help if you told us what video card your friend had? Seeing as the Sims 2 is a newer game than the Sims 1 it would be expected to run slower than the original as the graphics engine and AI will have been updated.

Patrick 2003
20-09-2004, 02:00 PM
we gotta know your video card mate, but anyway is windows running out on virtual memory when you play the game? have you tried to set the resoulution and graphic settings to a lower rate?

kiwibeat
20-09-2004, 02:08 PM
If it onboard graphics then it would be a lot slower, newer 3D games require grunty graphics cards

Patrick 2003
20-09-2004, 02:17 PM
> If it onboard graphics then it would be a lot slower,
> newer 3D games require grunty graphics cards

yea it would be heaps slower and you wouldnt get decent resoultions either, i had far cry at 640*480, and everything low on my intergrated graphics and its was just playable and skipped like crazy, not for long though(im waiting for my new graphics card :D)

yingxuan
21-09-2004, 11:38 AM
I would have thought the fast processor and ram would compensate for the graphics card.I think she did tell me it had an integrated card.I'll be right bak after ringing her

metla
21-09-2004, 11:52 AM
The comp will run at the full capabilities of its slowest component,Intergrated video is as big a bottleneck as you could possibly inflict upon a user.

Biggles
21-09-2004, 12:02 PM
The Sims wasn't a 3D game. The Sims 2 is fully 3D. That's a major change in terms of performance requirements and if the PC has an older/low-end integrated graphics chip it will not do the job.

The box lists requirements (which are always absolute miniums and not what you'd really want to run it on) as:

"Video card must have 32MB or more memory and one of these T&L capable chipsets: ATI Radeon 7200 or greater; Nvidia GeForce2 or greater"

I'm running it on a 2.5GHz P4, 1GB RAM and with a GeForce4 Ti 4400 128 video card and it runs fine.

beama
21-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Running fine on 2.8 northwood (hyper-threading enabled), 512 Ram, Geforce fx5200 128 vid'.
But yes it makes it work a bit harder than normal Ive noticted the temps are a bit higher than normal (thats if the intel temp gauge can be trusted :))

metla
21-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Sims isn't a game,its a doll house simulator.

..............................HA.

Biggles
21-09-2004, 12:29 PM
>Sims isn't a game,its a doll house simulator.

Hey, I'm secure enough in my masculinity that I don't mind playing with dolls ....

Pete O\'Neil
21-09-2004, 12:33 PM
> Running fine on 2.8 northwood (hyper-threading
> enabled), 512 Ram, Geforce fx5200 128 vid'.
> But yes it makes it work a bit harder than normal Ive
> noticted the temps are a bit higher than normal
> (thats if the intel temp gauge can be trusted :))
Theres a considerable difference between a FX5200 and intergrated video. Granted there are a couple of intergrated chipset that offer entry level preformance. The majority of intergrated chipsets should mearly be consider 2D video cards.

beama
21-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Ken aka Bruce Buckman

(Runs off and hides now)

metla
21-09-2004, 01:19 PM
From what i hear Robo is his Barbie...

Muhahahahahahahaha.

Did i say that?

Patrick 2003
21-09-2004, 01:46 PM
> I'm running it on a 2.5GHz P4, 1GB RAM and with a
> GeForce4 Ti 4400 128 video card and it runs fine.
hey bruce with a mint pc like that wouldnt you want a better graphics card?:|

Patrick 2003
21-09-2004, 01:48 PM
i forgot to add this:
> Running fine on 2.8 northwood (hyper-threading
> enabled) can you enable HT? i thought your cpu either has it or it dont and you can trun it on, i thought you cant enable a non HT cpu into a HT

Susan B
21-09-2004, 02:05 PM
> Sims isn't a game,its a doll house simulator.

That's exactly what it is. :D

When she got too old to play with her Barbie dolls my daughter was rapt when she discovered The Sims. It's just a "grown up" version of Barbie dolls, no different at all. :p :D

Biggles
21-09-2004, 02:42 PM
>hey bruce with a mint pc like that wouldnt you want a better graphics card

Indeed I would. Unfortunately there's a gaping hole in my wallet where the money should be ....

Biggles
21-09-2004, 02:56 PM
>It's just a "grown up" version of Barbie dolls, no different at all.

Hmmm, well The Sims 2 isn't quite Barbie. For example, last night I created a new character, Don Vito Mussolini, who "aspires" to "romance". In The Sims 2, they use the euphemism "whoohoo" for sex, but its pretty obvious that what Don Vito needs to do to score points, is to "score", with as many female sims as he can. These aren't my rules, that's what the game says I need to do to succeed with Don Vito. So far he's chatted up the neighbour's wife with some success and is working on the maid. Actual options available to Don Vito when interacting with the ladies include to "Hit on" the character.

Meanwhile, over at casa Buckofelli, Bruno Buckofelli pulled a smooth move in the spa pool and now his wife Sophia is pregant. The Sims 2 even shows you the delightful detail of her vomiting into the toilet once the morning sickness kicks in.

But then, maybe Barbie was always like this ....

Pete O\'Neil
21-09-2004, 03:09 PM
> >It's just a "grown up" version of Barbie dolls, no
> different at all.
>
> Hmmm, well The Sims 2 isn't quite Barbie. For
> example, last night I created a new character, Don
> Vito Mussolini, who "aspires" to "romance". In The
> Sims 2, they use the euphemism "whoohoo" for sex, but
> its pretty obvious that what Don Vito needs to do to
> score points, is to "score", with as many female sims
> as he can. These aren't my rules, that's what the
> game says I need to do to succeed with Don Vito. So
> far he's chatted up the neighbour's wife with some
> success and is working on the maid. Actual options
> available to Don Vito when interacting with the
> ladies include to "Hit on" the character.
>
> Meanwhile, over at casa Buckofelli, Bruno Buckofelli
> pulled a smooth move in the spa pool and now his wife
> Sophia is pregant. The Sims 2 even shows you the
> delightful detail of her vomiting into the toilet
> once the morning sickness kicks in.
You've inspired me Bruce :D

**me runs off to get a copy of the Sims2**

Patrick 2003
21-09-2004, 04:31 PM
> >hey bruce with a mint pc like that wouldnt you want
> a better graphics card
>
> Indeed I would. Unfortunately there's a gaping hole
> in my wallet where the money should be ....

yea thats true :D

beama
21-09-2004, 05:28 PM
in the Bios you can disable/enable at least on this machine

Susan B
21-09-2004, 05:35 PM
> But then, maybe Barbie was always like this ....

And you weren't aware of that? :O

Shame! :D

Hopes like mad that The Girl doesn't discover Sims 2 or Susan B will lose beloved Beast

Biggles
21-09-2004, 05:54 PM
>And you weren't aware of that?

Nope. I come from an all-boy family and have an all-boy family. Barbie belongs to a strange, alien world seen only on TV adverts . . .

yingxuan
23-09-2004, 05:45 AM
My friend has an ati something 64mb.She took it to a shop to get it check.Lots of junk and spyware.Kazaa was installed.
By the way where can i get kazaa lite ++?
Thanks

Odin
23-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Still waiting to play sims 2, Bought the game but when I got all the way home (168 kms) I discovered the cd's weren't in the still sealed box, now trying to get the warehouse to deliver them to me, I don't want to have to drive all that way to pick them up :)

yingxuan
24-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Since this game is so cheap in hk.I might start selling it at trademe.lol

Yes its A GENUINe SIMs 2 version.Not pirated.!!