PDA

View Full Version : What does Slipstreaming SP2 mean?

beetle
20-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi

have read it a few times on here and am none the wiser of what people mean.
or how is it acheived.

anyone care to explain the inns and outs to me ? and maybe others who dont know?

not saying i want to do this, just one of those still noob type queries.

beetle

metla
20-09-2004, 10:34 AM
it means to take a normal windows install cd,and to combine it with sp2 on a seperate cd,so that when it is installed onto a new machine it loads on sp2 as well.

beetle
20-09-2004, 10:38 AM
LOL

Thanxs Metla,

so its copying and pasting in effect both parts to make one good one. ( CD)

put that desk together yet ? :p

:D

beetle

drb1
20-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Beetle,

If Metlas good explination is not enough, in my post "slipstreaming xp" is a link to a good article on the topic.

Have a nice day.

D.

metla
20-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Nope,desk is still in pieces spread all over the shop floor,im hoping some ten year old will walk in and go,"ya putz,i could put that desk together in 15 minutes"

Then i'll say go ahead,i'll even give you an IDE cable for your troubles.

beetle
20-09-2004, 10:57 AM
oh hadnt seen your post drb1, thanxs.

lol Metla, what ya doing now then....shouldnt take long to put it together ......
get to work man...... and itll be together quick smart.
:D

beetle

metla
20-09-2004, 11:01 AM
What am i doing now?

well,im on my 3rd cup of coffee for the morning........

beetle
20-09-2004, 11:04 AM
and donuts or cake?

:p

beetle

metla
20-09-2004, 11:06 AM
for breakfast?

Metla admires big fat belly and decides against cake for breakfast....

stu120404
20-09-2004, 12:59 PM
> Metla admires big fat belly and decides against cake
> for breakfast....

hehehe ;\

Susan B
20-09-2004, 06:13 PM
> Nope,desk is still in pieces spread all over the shop
> floor,im hoping some ten year old will walk in and
> go,"ya putz,i could put that desk together in 15
> minutes"
>
> Then i'll say go ahead,i'll even give you an IDE cable for your troubles.

The school holidays have started. Put a sign up in your window for a ten-year old to assemble the desks for you in exchange for an IDE cable - you're bound to get a volunteer. ;-) :D

metla
20-09-2004, 06:37 PM
You wouldn't believe this,.....A cousin of minie visited,must be about 15, i offered him 10 cold hard dollars to assemble the desk, he said it wasn't enough.......

Scouse
20-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Hi Beetle. Extract from a Fred Langa newsletter. Looks good, though I have yet to try it.

"There's not a lot that can be done about that, but you can achieve a huge time savings on future installations and reinstallations of XP by integrating SP2's files with those of your original XP setup CD. Your hybrid install CD will work exactly as the original one did, even to the point of using the same 25-character Product Key, but it will be completely up to date with all patches and updates, up to and including SP2. Any system you set up with the hybrid CD will be pre-patched to current levels, in one step. You'll be totally up to date from the start, rather than facing maybe an hour or more of additional downloads to bring the new installation or reinstallation to SP2 levels.

Creating a new hybrid installation CD is surprisingly easy--a point and click exercise with only a few geeky parts. And it works very well. In fact, in most ways, this method of pre-patching an installation CD is basically the same process software vendors use to produce an updated version of their installation software; indeed, starting this fall, Microsoft will offer for sale fully prepatched versions of XP on CD. But you don't have to wait: You can create your own totally legitimate prepatched copy of XP on CD today.

Before you begin, you'll need the following:

1) A legitimate XP setup CD (almost any variation will work: Pro or Home; retail or OEM; full install CD or upgrade CD; etc.)

2) A CD burner, blank CD, and software capable of creating a bootable CD (eg. Nero, Roxio, etc.)

3) About a gigabyte of free space on your hard drive for temporary file storage. (This space can be recovered after you've made your new CD.)

Extracted from:
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=47212312

Steve_L
20-09-2004, 10:41 PM
>>>Metla, today my friend received the printer that you sent him. He is very happy. THANKS. He is a man of few words, so if he has not said too much to you, don't take it in a bad way. By the way, I learned that he won two or three medals, at least one gold, in a NZ ParaOlympics. That was a long time ago and he no longer has those medals - a friend of mine thinks he had to sell them since he was out of work.

For those of you who do not recall, Metla offered to send my friend a printer, free of charge. My friend is unemployed and has been disabled from birth.

So Metla, as Beetle knows, you may be a hard hitter at times on PF1 but you are a softie as well. Cheers and keep that halo polished. ;)

barmypom
20-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Is "Slipstreaming" XP legal?

drb1
21-09-2004, 08:49 AM
> Is "Slipstreaming" XP legal?

As long as the O/S C/D used is not a "Pirate", and the created C/D was not used to install Pirate/Unlicensed copies.

Why would it not be?

D.

metla
23-09-2004, 07:10 PM
>>>>Metla, today my friend received the printer that you sent him. He is very happy. THANKS. He is a man of few words, so if he has not said too much to you, don't take it in a bad way.

Thats good enough for me,i would rather have a simple thanks then a big fluster.