PDA

View Full Version : MS prirates

mark.p
20-09-2004, 08:38 AM
Pay up :) -http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18546

Lohsing
20-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Still doesn't get around network installs and the various alternative windows update websites out on the net... I'm interested to see how this will work!

Lo.

drb1
20-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Considering how Microsoft got its start, and some of the deals over the years.

(Os 2, Netscape, Kodack Imaging, J++, and, and, and.)

That has to be the Pot calling the Kettle.

D.

kiwibeat
21-09-2004, 02:21 AM
Makes me really happy that I still prefer and use 98SE to that bloated XP O/S

Murray P
21-09-2004, 02:35 AM
Went to the MS site today to check my OEM version of win2k (with parts purchase) but it can't scan a win2k machine and didn't like Firefox. How serious are they!

Cheers Murray P

drb1
21-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Murray,

They are lineing up for "longhorn".

This is probably the first incling of the dropping/decreasing of support for 2k (Probably the best GUIi O/s they ever produced).

There will probably be another round of we will no longer support win98 to test the waters, or a subtlle droping of (The Minimal remaining) support for that product in the "Longhorn release period".

Also Murray ,

How DARE you to firefox to M/S, especially if you expect any sense, it would probably be wise to do a full malware scan after that "act".

D.

Murray P
21-09-2004, 01:24 PM
:^O :^O :^O

I live in (fools) hope.

Yeah, I quiet like 2k, I've been messing around with system files and boot loaders, etc, and except for one (heart thumping) instance it has taken all the abuse. It's relatively uncluttered and down to earth.

Yes, I also got the strong impression they are testing the waters for more than they let on they are testing the waters for ;). If you want to be a conspiracy theorist and be right most of the time, have a crack at MS It'll be true sooner or later no matter how outrageous it seems :D

Cheers Murray P

drb1
21-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Murray,

M/S line themselves up for it, look at all the Gmail delays, and all the Gmail regos Ect that end up in Hotmail spam days later.

2k is probably close to what O/s 2 would have ended up as.

Personally I see XP as a: Bloated, Pretied up, Dumded down, version of 2k, that allows more M/S control.

What Longhorn brings will be interesting.

To halt my move to Linux it will have to be "The best thing since sliced bread" Very literally.

D.

Murray P
21-09-2004, 02:03 PM
> Murray,
>
> M/S line themselves up for it, look at all the Gmail
> delays, and all the Gmail regos Ect that end up in
> Hotmail spam days later.

Hmm, don't frequent Hotmail, thank goodness.

> 2k is probably close to what O/s 2 would have ended
> up as.

NT was actually based on O/s 2 code. IBM *cough* let MS take it with them when the left the *cough, hack, eerk!* cooperative collaboration with IBM on O/s 2. Roll over and do it again....

> Personally I see XP as a: Bloated, Pretied up, Dumded
> down, version of 2k, that allows more M/S control.

Yeah! but 2k fanboys will never convince XP users of this.

> What Longhorn brings will be interesting.

Only from a forensic point of view ;)

> To halt my move to Linux it will have to be "The best
> thing since sliced bread" Very literally.

Guess you will be moving on then, eh! :D

Cheers Murray P

drb1
21-09-2004, 02:08 PM
> > What Longhorn brings will be interesting.
>
> Only from a forensic point of view ;)

So you think it will be a still birth?

> > To halt my move to Linux it will have to be "The
> best
> > thing since sliced bread" Very literally.
>
> Guess you will be moving on then, eh! :D

Yes, but I will still keep up with my friends.

D.

metla
21-09-2004, 02:15 PM
I dont think it matters what MS bring to the table with Longhorn,people are judging them on there track record as far as software goes,and tactics as far as a company goes,they are doomed,it may take a few years but they are on the downhill slide.

People are realising that computer doesnt have to go hand in hand with MS.

Its a bit like a change in Goverment,no matter what they do they will still get voted out and replaced eventually,as the years go by even those getting the cream get disgruntled and want a change,and those not getting the cream get more and more vocal about there position.

Serve them right for taxing me to hell when im trying to make a living and then handing out my taxes to people that cant be arsed getting out of bed in the morning...,.

Hmm.....i drifted off quite sharply there....

Chilling_Silence
21-09-2004, 02:26 PM
As long as they keep making the XBox, I'll be a happy MS Customer ;-)

Microsoft on the Desktop? What's that??

Murray P
21-09-2004, 02:33 PM
> > > What Longhorn brings will be interesting.
> >
> > Only from a forensic point of view ;)
>
>
> So you think it will be a still birth?

No I didn't mean forensic pathology although, bits are already dropping off so it could be malformed, I meant the picking over of what is good, bad, brocken and downright ugly and possibly in the legal sense of the word too. But yeah, if micromorphology had to be applied then it could be a good thing ;)

> > > To halt my move to Linux it will have to be "The
> > best
> > > thing since sliced bread" Very literally.
> >
> > Guess you will be moving on then, eh! :D
>
> Yes, but I will still keep up with my friends.
>
> D.

Cheers Murray P

metla
21-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Have to say,ive owned my xbox for less then a week and i find the video quality pitiful,starting to think i should have bought a stereo instead.

Im even more amazed that people can compare these to a comp,....well i supose it compares to a comp with a 500mhz cpu and a voodoo3.....

drb1
21-09-2004, 03:59 PM
> Serve them right for taxing me to hell when im trying
> to make a living and then handing out my taxes to
> people that cant be arsed getting out of bed in the
> morning...,.
>
>
> Hmm.....i drifted off quite sharply there....

Metla,

Not really M/S tax the industry even more heavily than the Government tax us.

The comparison is accurate.

Is your shop a Ltd entity yet?

There are advantages to this, it is not as expensive as the overpriced pros would have you belive.

Haast was only $9.99 4 12 a the s/market today, normally its quite expensive.

D.

metla
21-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Is your shop a Ltd entity yet?

Yep,i done that from day one.Went all out.

drb1
21-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Metla,

Wise man.

The frequent pretence at unworldly innocence, and lack of practical skills is then, just that.

Did you make it a "loss attributing entity" (for IRD purposes)?

It can still be done easily if you ask, applying to any year that a return has not yet been filed for.

D.

metla
21-09-2004, 05:22 PM
unworldly innocence, and lack of practical skills?

heh?....you want to elaborate on that a little bit?

mark.p
21-09-2004, 05:59 PM
> > 2k is probably close to what O/s 2 would have
> ended
> > up as.
>
> NT was actually based on O/s 2 code. IBM *cough* let
> MS take it with them when the left the *cough, hack,
> eerk!* cooperative collaboration with IBM on O/s 2.
> Roll over and do it again....
>
That myth still around.
Try VMS( or more to the point its uccessor David Cutler was able to bring to light at DEC and BG offered him a deal he couldn't refuse-see the book Show Stopper) NT based doze had an OS/2 v1.x virtual machine because MS had ther own version so needed to provide compatibility for it (as degreed by Bill Gates himself). The GUI interface and structure is totally different (I still have an OS/2 v4 FP15 box up for comparison purposes).

drb1
21-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Metla,

1 minuite you are trying to get children to assemble desks for you.

The next we are discussing Ltd company formations.

You provide various good Pro Bono services to your community.

Then insinuatate you are a jolly round gentelman who has Cake for breakfast, who would not hurt a fly.

With the name Metla?

And a taste for among others Hendrix and Iorn Maiden. I believe.

The Inconsistencies are entertaining, I believe many of them are ment to be it is good.

D.

metla
21-09-2004, 07:15 PM
meh....all tied in with being a computer tech with a background in demolition.

lmao.

metla
21-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Except certain aspects of Demolition were many many many times more diffucult then workin on the average computer,and im not refering to the physical side of things either.

drb1
21-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Metla,

Who did you do Demo with?

From a Heavy Equipment, Service/Supply Engineer.

D.

metla
21-09-2004, 10:29 PM
http://www.jurgensdemolition.co.nz/

drb1
22-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Metla,

The Photo of the black unit with 2 sticks. Is that a Crane with a tool, or a 2stick Ex?

Those CH's look tidy.

D.

metla
22-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Can you link me to the specific photo?

Other then that,the entire fleet has been updated probally 2 times since even the most recent photo on the site.

Many of the photo's are from the Shortland meat plant in Otahuhu which we demolished over ten years ago,

drb1
22-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Metla,

The Black Machine in the Third Photo on the right, on the "home page" Titeled "The Gear" it's a bit fuzzy, it could be a "Tooll" or a "Third Stick" just curious.

D.

metla
22-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Ahh yes, If you click on the little pic it will open up the full size picture it all its .....uh.....glory,that goes for every picture in the photo gallerey,

The item in question is a rock breaker/hammer,whatever ya like to call it.That photo was taken in Morewa(spelling?) had an excellent year working up there,Sunshine and seafood,locals were all good people as well.

Jams
22-09-2004, 01:17 PM
The video quality of your xbox also relies on the Television. your not gonna get a good experience when you play an xbox on a little 14" thing. (for example).

sit back and wait for the Xbox 2 and Playstation 3. Sony and Microsoft are fighting over which hardware to use. its funny.

PMSL compare it to a 500Mhz and a voodoo 3?. lol.

grab an Xbox emulator and a machine with a DVD ROM. LOL. i would laugh til the cows come home if an Xbox game would run on anything even CLOSE to that. you have to have a machine up around an AMD 2400+ and a GFX card of or over a Gf4Ti.

also. just to back my statement. Doom 3 has to have a fairly grunty machine to play decently, right?
right, so then why can Xbox run doom 3?. in saying that, it would be then safe to say that the Xbox console is nothing like a 500Mhz, Voodoo 3 machine.

"jams hyperventilates"

Murray P
22-09-2004, 01:21 PM
> also. just to back my statement. Doom 3 has to have a
> fairly grunty machine to play decently, right?
> right, so then why can Xbox run doom 3?. in saying
> that, it would be then safe to say that the Xbox
> console is nothing like a 500Mhz, Voodoo 3 machine.

Because it doesn't run the game at its fullest capabilites perhaps?

Cheers Murray P

Jams
22-09-2004, 01:31 PM
nope. doesnt look like it. looks impressive like he PC Version.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_init.shtml?hellID=5784&mirror=5&a=16815700660507.4

here is a trailer of Doom 3 for Xbox compiled entirley from gameplay on the Xbox.

metla
22-09-2004, 01:31 PM
hmmm,should i bother?

The next generation of consoles will still play on television sets,640 x 480,the current ones use low poly models,low detail textures,line of sight tricks,limited effects and restrict the amount of onscreen movement.

My old p3 with voodoo3 could get better framerates at 800x600,my gf2mx could do all that at 1024x768,My G4ti kills it so damn hard its not even funny.

Xbox=Crap.

Besides which,you can't compare by running an emulator(of which only one exsists,and only runs Halo,and even then to badly to be playable),thats beyond stupid,nearly as stupid as your reference to Doom 3,its not the same game,its developed by an entirely different company,designed from ground up for the xbox,using lower resolution textures,lower poly models,less effects,and running at 640 x 480.

Any game designed for the xbox will of course run on it.

I wanna gouge my eyes out in disgust everytime i fire up the xbox,i was even convinced i had just managed to get games that were uglier then normal,untill i looked up the reviews and found they were awarded 9 out of 10 for graphics.

I am even more amazed that people compare or have compared it to a PC.

And yes,My television is quality,I don't buy crap (apart from the Poxbox) ,I do however know low quality graphics when i see them.

metla
22-09-2004, 01:33 PM
> nope. doesnt look like it. looks impressive like he
> PC Version.

LMFAO.

Jams
22-09-2004, 01:37 PM
heh. and you expect console designers to come up with some creation that will satisfy your hunger for better graphics, which pretty much everyone wants, and still be affordable by the general public ?

their has to be some sort of limits. i can't imgaine how much Microsoft are losing on every Xbox console sold. it would be insane to sell it at what it costs to build.

metla
22-09-2004, 01:45 PM
> heh. and you expect console designers to come up with
> some creation that will satisfy your hunger for
> better graphics, which pretty much everyone wants,
> and still be affordable by the general public ?

Not at all,I want people to stop claiming its something its not,what it is is a cheap and nasty computer that runs on the TV serving up grapics that can't compare to even an out dated PC.

Actually,i don't want anything,i just stated something as i see it....crap.

> their has to be some sort of limits. i can't imgaine
> how much Microsoft are losing on every Xbox console
> sold. it would be insane to sell it at what it costs
> to build.

Why?,nearly everyone else has to sell a product for more then cost,But MS want to dominate the market so they can shape in in the future so they lose many billions of dollars doing so.That company seriously needs to be broken up and kneecapped before all their plans actually start working,although i can't imagine they will work.

The future will not be a good place to be in if MS get their way,Look back at the Ford company back in the 30's for a "micro" example.

Murray P
22-09-2004, 01:54 PM
The largest cost in the Xbox is probably the marketing component, the next would be the drive, none of the hardware is leading edge stuff or even recent as far as I know.

Cheers Murray P

Jams
22-09-2004, 01:59 PM
yea. but if you were to put xbox at cost sale, and put it on the market along with the Playsation 2 price, its easy to see which concole is going to lose out.

so what your saying is that you would rather play a game on a PC, with a 500Mhz Voodoo 3, than to play the same game on an Xbox ?. thats kind of odd. but i guess i can respect your opinion.

i have the much the same opinion with PS2, friggin hiddeous things.

i am happy with my Xbox.

Murray P
22-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Xboxes and Playstations are just another way of selling the media. They tend to be more aligned with the christmas type selling hype of get the latest barbie doll +/or accessories /the latest fad than anything else. No offernce but that's how I read it

cheers Murray P

metla
22-09-2004, 02:23 PM
>>so what your saying is that you would rather play a game on a PC, with a 500Mhz Voodoo 3, than to play the same game on an Xbox ?. thats kind of odd. but i guess i can respect your opinion.

>>i have the much the same opinion with PS2, friggin hiddeous things.

>>i am happy with my Xbox

While i am pretty disapointed with the quality of the xbox,i should have expected it as i have used them before,.....I dropped the initial comment into the thread in hope of getting a bite, had to done im afraid ,seeing as their is a distinct lack of of AMD Vs Intel threads then an Xbox vs PC one would have to do.

Voodoo3 cards belong in the past,but i would compare the graphics of an Xbox to a Ps2 before i walked over the holy ground that is PC gaming.

Now,im dead tired,i expressed by disapointment with the Xbox by playing on the damn thing till 4am.

The modchip and 120gb harddrive i dropped in her is all good though.

Jams
22-09-2004, 02:27 PM
xbox to PS2 graphics ? heh. go back and spend a little longer on the xbox.

hey Metla. all negatives aside.

would you mind if i dropped you an email ?

metla
22-09-2004, 02:30 PM
My mailbox is open to all who dare enter.:D

metla
22-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Unless its one of those "Metla yur teh *******,gona lay the waste on you *****" mails i get from time to time.Lmao.

Normally written in something close to leet speak and covered in dribble.

Always worth a laugh,some pillow biter out there wants to get real.

Jams
22-09-2004, 02:37 PM
hehehe.

if i was going to insult you. i would do it without the lame profanity. but alas, i do not want your email to abuse you. :)

Cheers.

Lohsing
22-09-2004, 03:00 PM
> The modchip and 120gb harddrive i dropped in her is
> all good though.

Ah, the goodness of a modchip and harddrive... You streaming movies, etc yet?

Lo.

metla
22-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Been busy encoding into divx,then i'll network the pc to xbox and ftp them over.

Lohsing
22-09-2004, 03:56 PM
No need to ftp them over - just keep your PC on and use it as a fileserver!

Murray P
22-09-2004, 03:59 PM
>> Ah, the goodness of a modchip and harddrive... You streaming movies, etc
>> yet?

> Been busy encoding into divx,then i'll network the pc
> to xbox and ftp them over.
>

Ah, we get around to the true, usefull, woth of an Xbox. A media centre of sorts. And the reason for the need of a mod chip? somebody does not want you to spend your money elswhere, gee who could that be. Watch PC's go the same way, it has already started ;\

Cheers Murray P

Lohsing
22-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Lol... Yes, I wonder if we will start seeing modified bioses for PC motherboards to get around DRM issues in the future...

Lo.

metla
22-09-2004, 04:21 PM
> No need to ftp them over - just keep your PC on and
> use it as a fileserver!

The plan is much bigger then that,i had been using the sleepout attached to my shed as a computer room and was running my business out of it before going into my shop.

Since then i have had a large area of cobblestones laid as a courtyard,done some landscaping,built seating,purchased a bbq,and just last week had a big set of double opening aluminium doors installed,opening from the sleep out onto the courtyard bbq area.

Now the room is outfitted with couches,a tv,and an xbox which is inturn hooked up to a set of stereo speakers.

The final part of the plan is to load the xbox up with about 4 thousand songs,and a bunch of movies,then roll on summer.

In a nutshell,The xbox is located about 100 feet from my pc.

Lohsing
22-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Why not just get a wireless lan kit for it? Then you won't need to upload any songs to it at all.

Lo.

Lohsing
22-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Wireless networked, modified X-Box.... DROOOOOL! :D

metla
22-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Because that costs money.

And requires the pc to be on.

And i want to make use of my 120gb.

And i want to be able to take the xbox elsewhere.

and and and........I think streaming media via a wireless network to an xbox is just being tricky for the sake of it.

metla
22-09-2004, 05:55 PM
>but alas, i do not want your email to abuse you

Were you asking that i drop my email into the forum?,your better off looking in my profile,visiting the site listed and looking under contact.

Murray P
22-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Whats wrong with taking the Xbox to the PC Metla, it's still portable isn't it or have you installed a cowcatcher and a blade? Actually don't you have a lappy, do it in bites?

Cheers Murray P

metla
23-09-2004, 01:28 PM
> Whats wrong with taking the Xbox to the PC Metla,
> it's still portable isn't it or have you installed a
> cowcatcher and a blade? Actually don't you have a
> lappy, do it in bites?
>
> Cheers Murray P

I can confirm that the distance between the xbox and the pc will be equal to or less then the length of the crossover cable used.

When i referred to FTP i was making a reference to the software on the xbox that i believe is used for transfering files,described in the readme as an FTP program.

I had presumed i could just drag the files from hd to hd but the documentation makes me think a ftp server is needed, Will find out for definite when i do it.

Lohsing
23-09-2004, 02:38 PM
> When i referred to FTP i was making a reference to
> the software on the xbox that i believe is used for
> transfering files,described in the readme as an FTP
> program.

Any old FTP prog will do... Filezilla works nicely.

> I had presumed i could just drag the files from hd to
> hd but the documentation makes me think a ftp server
> is needed, Will find out for definite when i do it.

Nope, none required. Just an IP address for the X-Box to be configured and you're away laughing.

Lo.

metla
23-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Just bitten the bullet and ordered unlimited adsl for home,now i'm thinking Router with wireless function feeding my home pc,laptop and Xbox......

Lohsing
23-09-2004, 04:17 PM
I thought you didn't want to go the wireless route with the X-Box??

Lo.

metla
23-09-2004, 05:01 PM
well now i have Jetstream on the way i have to buy a router,which means i would want wireless for my laptop,still unsure about wireless to xbox.

But im a geek after all,and im on a roll.....