PDA

View Full Version : ICS ok but no network sharing??

dibbly
19-09-2004, 10:59 PM
i'm at my wits end guys so i hope someone can help me out here.

ive n/w 2 putas. A laptop (Roger)XP Home and hosting the internet connection with ICS and a PC (Wilco) running XP pro (simple file sharing enabled) as is file and printer sharing etc on the Lan connection.

In My Network Places on the desktop, it shows 'Wilco' and shared folders but no 'Roger'
on the laptop (Roger) - there is nothing at all.

I can ping both machines ok as long as i use their respective IP addys, if I use their computer names i get an error message "Ping request could not find host check the name and try again" this happens on both machines.

The strange thing is that 'Wilco' connects to the internet just fine using ICS???

Any suggestions people??

george12
19-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Check that file sharing, port 139 is enabled in the firewall of all machines.

This port is used for file sharing and AFAIK netbios name resolution.

Cheers George

dibbly
20-09-2004, 12:01 AM
tried your suggestion but to no avail thanks anyway

Murray P
20-09-2004, 12:10 AM
Have you enabled any folders or files to share on Wilco? have you checked XP's firewall(s) as well as any additional ones you have installed. Check manual setting in Neworking > Netwrkork Adapter > Properties and Client for Microsoft Networks, sometimes wizard based functions don't always work as expected, ICS can also be problematical, although I doubt that could affect your LAN.

Just out of interest, I take it you are using an internal PCI ADSL modem to connect to the WAN?

Cheers Murray P

dibbly
20-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Just out of interest, I take it you are using an internal PCI ADSL modem to connect to the WAN?

errr, no Murray, connecting via crossover to external cable modem, never mentioned it cos ICS is working ok - ive disabled all firewalls (while not on the net) to discount those being a factor

Murray P
20-09-2004, 12:31 AM
Ok, If you have an ADSL router rather than just a modem and if it has multiple ports or you have a hub/switch, ditch ICS, it just adds another unecessary layer to your interent connection. Still can't see why your file sharing should not be working though, you can ping so you have contact, must be in permissions or group or sharing setup. Talking of work-groups you don't have a domain set up do you?

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silence
20-09-2004, 12:34 AM
It will be to do with permissions:
TCP/IP doesnt require authentication, so it "just works".

File-sharing on the other hand requires authentication.

Setup an identical username / password on both PC's (You _must_ set a password).

Login to one of the PC's as one of the new users made and see if it works

Chill.

dibbly
20-09-2004, 12:35 AM
no Murray, no domain and both belong to same workgroup -
can I try doing something with the Hosts file??? Not too up with the play on it just a suggestion

dibbly
20-09-2004, 12:38 AM
yes i did try that Chill after doing a search here....but i made the user name the same as the one on the laptop - thats the one that doesnt see anything at all. i will try using the same name as the one on the desktop as at least that one sees itself
thanks chill

Chilling_Silence
20-09-2004, 12:48 AM
Make sure both accounts are in the "permissions" list for the shares and in the File-system (if NTFS) also.

Spacemannz
20-09-2004, 09:01 AM
I dont think its permissions either. I've used 2k/XP/XP for file sharing
and never had to add them to each other as guests. Just as long as simple file sharing is ticked on XP. It should work.

Or had to enter a password for each. It's only 98 that I found you had to
set up with a password, in order to access 2k or XP folders. Maybe something needs to be added to the router if it is a router as well.

Where have u got file sharing ticked? Under the LAN icon?.

dibbly
20-09-2004, 10:42 AM
no joy with the same user name thing.

simple file sharing checked under folder options on XP Pro machine
File and Printer sharing checked on both machines Lan connection.

as an aside guys. I tried to go into Add/Remove Windows Components and I received this error - how the heck do i post a screenshot here -

"Set Up was unable to open information file 4.
Contact your system admininstrator. The specific error code is
0x2 at line 2011777033"

when i click ok another box comes up and says "The application could not be initialized."

googling the error code was unsuccessful

Spacemannz
20-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Errr that error not necessarily the information file 4 bit (but the rest of it)and the error under it, (can happen on versions of XP that aren't legit (corp versions). When u click on Add/Remove / Windows Components.

I read this in a ms newsgroup.

dibbly
20-09-2004, 11:15 AM
i'm running a preinstalled version of xp. I reinstalled about a month ago now and slowly getting things all organised again. I previously had the network running quite happily and then I bought ( actually built my first PC...yeehah!)
and reinstalled Home on "Roger" and Pro on "Wilco". Wilco has successfully been networked to a friends computer and he seems to be working ok here its just "Roger" playing up.
If i have no joy by the end of the day i'll try hooking up the old box with 98 and seeing if that works still.
thnks space for your help

Murray P
20-09-2004, 11:44 AM
> Or had to enter a password for each. It's only 98 that I found you had to
> set up with a password, in order to access 2k or XP folders

My experience with networking two win2k machines is that the file permissions, passwords, etc, need to be setup in order to be able to browse and have read write access. I assumed this would be the same with XP (which I don't have or use) until recently when I heard something similar to what you have said Spacemannz (which is why I did not emphasise permissions in my previous post). I was a bit gob-smacked that XP would be so lax with security but, I'm coming back to the belief that XP does in fact require permissions similar to win2k. Why would win2k or XP have less security than win98, doesn't make sense to me.

Dibbly, you mention you received an error while in Add/Remove, are you logged on as the Administrator when making these changes, you should not get that error if you were and as far as I know you should not be able to make network changes without being logged on as admin, if you can do this in XP IMO it's another reason to avoid that OS.

I would suggest that the laptop, being a laptop has better security as far as users go than the self built PC (no offence), I also suggest you redo your whole network setup, accounts, file sharing, permissions, etc, as an Admistrator and do it manually rather than using the wizard and simple file sharing (simple file sharing sounds like one of those, crazy over simplified dangerous, MS features to me :) ). And get rid of ICS if you can connect the laptop diectly to the router, sometimes ICS, for inexplicable reasons, just does not work.

Cheers Murray P

dibbly
20-09-2004, 01:08 PM
>
> Dibbly, you mention you received an error while in
> Add/Remove, are you logged on as the Administrator
> when making these changes, you should not get that
> error if you were and as far as I know you should not
> be able to make network changes without being logged
> on as admin, if you can do this in XP IMO it's
> another reason to avoid that OS.

yes you are correct Murray - you can only make these changes from the admins. account

>I also suggest you redo your
> whole network setup, accounts, file sharing,
> permissions, etc, as an Admistrator and do it
> manually rather than using the wizard

i've done this so many times now its hard to remember and have not used the wizard at all. When I try to it tells me there was an error and it could not complete the new connection - so i've since stuck with manual configuration.

>And get rid of ICS if you
> can connect the laptop diectly to the router,

errr....not an option Murray...no router!!!! and to my way of thinking, ICS is working fine its the sharing of resources thats the problem. I have connectivity as I can ping ok but only IP's and not names, that must mean something????

Spacemannz
20-09-2004, 01:44 PM
The only way / time you'll have to add a GUEST / Enter name/password to access an XP folder, is if u untick Simple File sharing in XP (thru My Computer). As, it'll give u a security TAB (once u untick simple file sharing), on the networked folder. Then u have the permissions, for whoever, and whatever you want them to access (delete/write/read access).

I believe u also have to have a NTFS formatted hdd as well for this to happen in XP, and most probably 2k as well. I wouldn't worry about the network wizard, its useless and it's better just to enter the ips on each PC manualy, as Dibbly as previously said.

dibbly
22-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi guys thought I'd let you know.....issue resolved.....
I had "enable netbios over tcp/ip" Disabled.....enabling this and voila everything is working.
thanks everyone for your help