PDA

View Full Version : New Ideas for PF1

george12
19-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Hi guys, I was just thinking:

Wouldn't it be good to have a few more indicators (little icons on each post) for some more things, and a few other features, such as:

A thread with a 'solved' problem could have say a green tick or something to let users know that the author has found his/her answer

Ability to edit one of your posts

A 'Bump' button in threads, and an icon for threads that have been 'bumped', meaning that those who see this icon will know the thread has not been answered and can visit it. Also, bumps will not show as replies.

Feedback?

Cheers George

george12
19-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Oh, and a limit to how many times a thread can be bumped, say three.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
19-09-2004, 12:19 AM
> Hi guys, I was just thinking:

Out loud?

> Wouldn't it be good to have a few more indicators
> (little icons on each post) for some more things, and
> a few other features, such as:

People can't write post titles that are informative let alone use little icons etc. Fantastic threads such as HELP HELP HELP! or IT DOESN'T GO !!!!!!111 wouldn't be any better with icons.

> A thread with a 'solved' problem could have say a
> green tick or something to let users know that the
> author has found his/her answer

Maybe, however in most cases other people have things to contribute that may be more relevant or more correct than what the "accepted" answer might have been at the beginning. It would only dissuade further interaction. It's not like there are a startling number of threads on this forum as it is - it's hardly unmanageable.

> Ability to edit one of your posts

Required, Oh God it's required, however this software doesn't support it, a complete platform change is required as far as I'm aware.

> A 'Bump' button in threads, and an icon for threads
> that have been 'bumped', meaning that those who see
> this icon will know the thread has not been answered
> and can visit it. Also, bumps will not show as
> replies.

No. Just plain no. Thread bumping is an irritating practice. People can browse themselves - if they find a thread worth responding to they will respond. All bumping does is increase the post count of the few people (Stu and Mrs Bump) that repeatedly do it.

> Feedback?

See above.

> Cheers George

Why must people post sign!?

Murray P
19-09-2004, 12:27 AM
> Why must people post sign!?

Because we want to :)

I was browsing through the Jive forums website one day and I'm sure I saw mention of an edit feature in there. Will have to check it out again. Mind you, I don't mind not having the ability to edit, maybe I've become inured to making posting silly remarks.

Cheers Murray P :D

george12
19-09-2004, 12:32 AM
?:| I'm sorry!

All bad ideas. Except for editing and it can't be done!?:|.

Oh well

robo
19-09-2004, 05:31 AM
I don't think they are bad at all, George.
However, we do have limitations based on what the core system offers and a budget.
Threads that are solved do tend to drift off, those that aren't solved can do so, too. Often the person asking the question doesn't say that they have fixed it or which suggestion worked, so it wouldn't get used a lot.
However, keep up with the ideas. They don't hurt anyone.
robo.

Megaman
19-09-2004, 07:30 AM
*cough*phpNet*cough*

Patrick 2003
19-09-2004, 10:15 AM
or how about this? pc world should make a cd with all the pressf1 posts on it, it would help heaps of people. :D

Dianne2
19-09-2004, 10:39 AM
> I don't think they are bad at all, George.
> However, we do have limitations based on what the
> core system offers and a budget.
> Threads that are solved do tend to drift off, those
> that aren't solved can do so, too. Often the person
> asking the question doesn't say that they have fixed
> it or which suggestion worked, so it wouldn't get
> used a lot.
> However, keep up with the ideas. They don't hurt
> anyone.
> robo.

People,

An Editing of the 1500 items that come up in search "How To" and perhaps a seperating or grouping of these articles, to seperate the instructive, from the, loose inqusitive, that contain little or wander into O.T.

A direct link in the Header to these "How To" would be most Proffesional.

It would not be to hard to fit one more Tab into the Header bar shurely?.

Dianne.

robo
19-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Um, yes, we could cure sleeplessness (some would argue we already do).
We would need to do some serious editing before that happened. It's a thought though.
robo.

Dianne2
19-09-2004, 11:23 AM
> Um, yes, we could cure sleeplessness (some would
> argue we already do).
> We would need to do some serious editing before that
> happened. It's a thought though.
> robo.

Robo,

Would not some of the more "well intentioned" of your posters be available to help with this, a set of tabbed H/T and the growing FAQ would probably reduce the repetition of certain issues, and could attract more casual traffic to the site, if simply accessible.

The Just Linux site states its intention to become the largest collection of online information for Linux learners. But those people are entrenched in the command line and are "unpleasantly" American.

To be seen as One of, or the Prime supplier of free information and advise, easily accessible, in Australasia, must be to the advantage of I.D.G

D.

AND WOULD ATTRACT MORE TRAFFFIC

Mrs Bump
19-09-2004, 11:31 AM
> No. Just plain no. Thread bumping is an irritating
> practice. People can browse themselves - if they find
> a thread worth responding to they will respond. All
> bumping does is increase the post count of the few
> people (Stu and Mrs Bump) that repeatedly do it.

Oooh! That's a tiny bit mean Mr Foxtrot. I only bump forgotten threads that look like they could really use an answer. Most times it helps, and I can't give technical advice so I think it is a nice thing to do to help others. Anyway, what, pray tell, is the significance of a postcount? Do we get prizes for getting to 100 or something?

Best wishes

Mrs Bump

Winston001
19-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Dianne is right, searching some topics comes up with an unmanagable list of results.

However we tend to forget that this is a free site, managed largely by volunteers and PC World staff when they have a few spare moments.

We are lucky it exists at all. To have posts sorted into "good" answers would require a lot of knowledge and I suppose an hour a day from someone. The FAQs are very good - perhaps they could be added to.

Murray P
19-09-2004, 12:50 PM
There is a effort to sort and organise the FAQ's underway at moment. As FAQ's are added, I think it would be nice to split them into categories to make searching out "your" answer easier to access if they get to a size where more than 3 pages are required for the topics. I agree, the search function for the board isn't the best. If you get too clever with it spits the dummy.

Maybe a time limited editing function would be handy. Would an email address for our Mod be appropriate so that such requests could be made before the Mod stumbles on them and have things got out of hand (I'm thinking more the posts you regret).

Mrs Bump, nothing wrong with bringing an orphaned post to the attention of would be helpers, help is after all, primarily what we are here do. If someone's issue gets resolved because you've bumped it, IMO, your contribution sits up there with the ones that resolve it.

Cheers Murray P

drb1
19-09-2004, 01:06 PM
> Maybe a time limited editing function would be handy.
> Would an email address for our Mod be appropriate so
> that such requests could be made before the Mod
> stumbles on them and have things got out of hand (I'm
> thinking more the posts you regret).
>
it.
>
> Cheers Murray P

Murray,

An edit that showed "what" and "that" the post had been edited would be Excellent, with itallic would do, and a date at the end.

Stops peolple changing the rules in "He said".

An Email for "Request Moderator" to edit my post would be excellent, people make mistakes.

"She/He who has never made a mistake, has never made anythig"

D.

pulling hair out
19-09-2004, 02:29 PM
I'm with Murray and the others who agree with "bumping" and signing your posts.

"bumping" is great, because a post can easily slip to the next page and not be seen.

Signing your posts adds a friendly human touch to an otherwise sterile computer environment. Also the person who makes the post is usually at the end of their tether and really need a friendly ear.

Also I like the way people pick up on a new poster and welcome them to PF1.

Keep it up PF1'ers.

Regards, Marg :-)

Raymondo
19-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Murray
I think an email address for the Moderator is an excellent idea. Although I am a virtual non-contributor to PF1, I have been reading for a long time and I can think of any number of occasions when problems would have been better handled one on one than in public on a thread that has gone sour.
Ray

Susan B
19-09-2004, 06:30 PM
> An Email for "Request Moderator" to edit my post
> would be excellent, people make mistakes.

There already is one. Check out the "The Rules" (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=40651&message=209001&q=the+rules#209001) sticky thread at the top of the homepage.

Susan B
19-09-2004, 06:33 PM
> Would not some of the more "well intentioned" of your
> posters be available to help with this,

You will be lucky. :-)

Biggles
20-09-2004, 09:55 AM
An upgrade to the forum software that would include things like post editing is currently being looked into.

metla
20-09-2004, 09:58 AM
woohooooo.

are you staying with the current brand of software?,ive seen the prices and well,thats a whole heap of cheese.

Pete O\'Neil
20-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Would it not be easier just to use some open source forum software?

Murray P
20-09-2004, 11:06 AM
> An Email for "Request Moderator" to edit my post
> would be excellent, people make mistakes.

> There already is one. Check out the "The Rules" sticky thread at the top of
> the homepage.

That's Bruces (Admin) email addy not the Moderator's (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/profile.jsp?user=9974) which has no email contact listed or, are you saying they are one and the same. I thought the idea of the Mod was to take the pressure of the Admins and provide assistance when they might not be available.

Cheers Murray P

drb1
20-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Murray,

Thank you, I was trying to think of a "Nice" way to put that.

D.

Biggles
20-09-2004, 01:47 PM
>are you staying with the current brand of software?,ive seen the prices and well,thats a whole heap of cheese

My own preference would be to switch to something like vBulletin - dead cheap, fully featured - all the features we want plus more. I've put this on the table to be measured against going with an updated version of the current software - expensive and from what I can see offers no more than the cheaper alternatives.

Against that is the fact that we have just one programmer (Jim), and it would likely be quicker and easier to stay with the current platform (we'd have to write import routines for the DB, for example if we switched platforms).

These issues are currently being thrashed out.

stu120404
20-09-2004, 01:53 PM
> Against that is the fact that we have just one
> programmer (Jim), and it would likely be quicker and
> easier to stay with the current platform (we'd have
> to write import routines for the DB, for example if
> we switched platforms).

Oh :(, I Guess that VB does not have any ready made converters/import routines for the Jive Forum software ?

stu120404
20-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Bruce > Would it be possible for the "rules" to be reposted? As I have noticed a few times now that thread does take a few mins to load

Megaman
20-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Why pay for something like VBulliten, when things like phpBB and phpNet (Based on phpBB, but with some really nifty things added)? Yes, they're both open source, and the server software they need to run is open source too (PHP, MySQL and Apache)

Pete O\'Neil
20-09-2004, 02:17 PM
I just had a quick gander at the Jive website and forum and the latest software doesnt really seem all the different to what we've already got. I agree with Megaman why not use something like phpBB or phpNet?

Biggles
20-09-2004, 03:04 PM
> I just had a quick gander at the Jive website and
> forum and the latest software doesnt really seem all
> the different to what we've already got. I agree with
> Megaman why not use something like phpBB or phpNet?

Like I say, my preference isn't to continue to use Jive, but I'm just one opinion in the process.

andrew93
20-09-2004, 04:53 PM
I too would like to see the ability to edit a post (with say a 5 minute limit to edit any spelling mistakes or to acknowledge a duplicate post etc.) provided the post has not been responded to. So often an entire meaning can be lost due to a typo on one word.

Also, if we could split the posts between the "flame-infested" off-topic posts and the rest, split into say hardware, software etc. then it may be easier to avoid the inevitable "flame-fest".

Lastly, I don't have an issue with "bumping" a post - although IMHO it should really be bumped by the post originator.

My 2c, Andrew.

metla
20-09-2004, 04:56 PM
You people talk about flames like they are a bad thing?.....

stu120404
20-09-2004, 05:14 PM
> Lastly, I don't have an issue with "bumping" a post -
> although IMHO it should really be bumped by the post
> originator.

You forget andrew93 most of the posters on Press F1 are computer/internet newbes

So I would think that most of them donít know what ** bump ** means

That is one reason why Mrs Bump, me & a lot of other press F1 members ** bump ** up other peoples posts,

So they are bump up to the top so if there is a member out there who might know the answer to that person post then they can answer it if they want,

& if we did not bump up those posts then they would disappear in to the Press F1 archive with out a answer.

My 5c

andrew93
20-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Hey Metla, some of the flame-fests are just cringe material and I believe the moderators here a very tolerant given some of the vacuous, vapid, petulant & stroppy posts. I'm not referring to your posts / flames, IMHO yours have humour - shame others can't see it.

And thanks for your comments Stu - I appreciate posters looking out for newbies but I was looking at it from the angle of a newbie posting a problem and then never returning to the site. I don't have an issue with "bumps" as such.

A

Murray P
20-09-2004, 05:33 PM
As this is not a forum dedicated to a specific topic or topics such as gaming and OC'ing (where it does work), I believe breaking it up into sections would be either counter productive to the Help aspect but would also add to the Mod's/Admins work in shuffling posts and threads around to best fit into the subject, once the true nature of the problem is diagnosed that is.

The way it is now both software and hardware leaning posters get a crack at peoples problems and put their own view of the issues which is an added benifit to the postee and therefore a solution. Sections will tend to isolate the factions to an extent.

However, and I used to be against this idea, an OT section would help IMO. The Mod and Admin's could go straight there to put out bush fires without having to bother the rest of the forum. Maybe we could even have a go at knocking Metla off his flamemeister perch and do it with [a little more] impunity ;)

Cheers Murray P

Jen C
20-09-2004, 06:50 PM
> However, and I used to be against this idea, an OT
> section would help IMO. The Mod and Admin's could go
> straight there to put out bush fires without having
> to bother the rest of the forum.

Nice idea Murray, but unfortunately the majority of the bush fires occur in the regular technical posts. Having a separate OT section will only encourage people to let rip with the flames.

godfather
20-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Any facility that immediately cancels a user log-in when the user reverts to l33t speak or txt speak would be most welcome as well.

Biggles
20-09-2004, 08:45 PM
>However, and I used to be against this idea, an OT section would help IMO.

We've also discussed starting additional forums, such as a general one related to discussions related to material from the mag and an off topic section.

I've used several forums where flame-infested off-topic posts became such a problem that they started off-topic areas that were no holds barred and un-moderated -- you entered at your own risk. That let everybody else get on with normal life and the flame-obsessed had a merry old time without someone locking their posts. I'm not advocating that here but a forum where off-topic threads would be a part of the diet would help clear the air in PressF1 and let those who want the tech stuff, and just the tech stuff, avoid complications.

metla
20-09-2004, 09:45 PM
In forums ive seen where a backyard area has been provided it seems this just creates an enviorment for people to spam,abuse,argue and it in turn spills out into the proper forums and lowers the tone overall.

I believe a general forum has merit,but it would have to be moderated to the same standards as the rest of the forum.

And as already noted,the threads turn into arguments,they don't start off that way.

Biggles
20-09-2004, 10:32 PM
>And as already noted,the threads turn into arguments,they don't start off that way.

True, true.

Vince
20-09-2004, 10:51 PM
> post editing is currently being looked
> into.

Yeh, I can think of a few posts that I wanted to alter, or delete just after making them. Vince :8}

KatiMike
20-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Total newbie here , the wideranging discussions that take part here are part of the attraction IMHO , there's a heck of a lot of excellent tech advise available [ sometimes topics come and go and I've no idea at all what they were all about ... :8} ] and people give genuine good advise which is great , however there's some fun to be had in the OT stuff ... that word game must be nearing 1000 posts , the Monday humour , advise on weedkillers / roofing etc it all adds to the good feel of the place , a sense of community if you like . A seperate OT site mayn't work so well . As for the flames .. , families argue , it's just part of life
Mike

Susan B
21-09-2004, 08:56 AM
> As for the flames .. , families argue , it's just part of life

Yes, but when people are attacked so viciously that they leave the forum for good it isn't very nice.

There's nothing wrong with a good healthy debate but some people can't help resorting to personal abuse. That, very sadly, drives a lot of people undercover.

Winston001
21-09-2004, 09:46 AM
> a forum where off-topic threads would be a part of
> the diet would help clear the air in PressF1 and let
> those who want the tech stuff, and just the tech
> stuff, avoid complications.

With respect Bruce, this isn't a huge forum. It doesn't get clogged up with new threads every 5 minutes. It isn't hard to ignore OT threads or skim past irrelevancies.

I just cannot see the point of a second forum. I like the sense of family/community where discussions range freely. Ultimately everyone has an interest in computing or they would not be here.

Keep up the good work.

Pete O\'Neil
21-09-2004, 09:53 AM
The good thing about PressF1 is that all the posts are on the one page, you dont have to go trawling through sub forums just to find threads that interest you. Also if its just one forum then n00bs dont have to worry about putting their post in the wrong forum.

Biggles
21-09-2004, 10:04 AM
>I just cannot see the point of a second forum.

PressF1 is supposed to be a tech help forum. It gets other stuff going on here because - well there's nowhere else for it to go. Any second forum would most likely be linked to the mag and articles/news there-in. There are topics to discuss beyond tech problems and for the sake of clairity I think a second place to discuss these things would be good, so that PressF1 can get back to its roots. I don't think 2 forums is overkill - I certainly wouldn't be suggesting this (http://www.cfcforums.com/index.php) or this (http://www.gpforums.co.nz/) but I think we can improve on one big dumping ground.

Murray P
21-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Are you suggesting a completely different forum Bruce?

If a separate discussion area is to done, and there are merits both ways as always, my preference would be for a tabbed page or divider on the same page with PF1 that could be tweaked in your Preferences > View or something like that. Not getting too far ahead am I?

The idea of general issues raised, in say the magazine or elsewhere on IDG, is a good one. Discussion could be prompted :) by a synopsis of a particular article being posted on the board, eg: one of Geoff's consumer articles or Robo's gadget round-ups. It would be good feedback for the mag and the products (user experience, etc)

Cheers Murray P

metla
21-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Splitting it in 2 is a good idea,but they would imo still have to be the same forum,just one for general discussion and off topic,and one for specific computer problems.

metla
21-09-2004, 12:17 PM
And how soon can we get it done?,im all set to post another "show us ya desktop" thread,a thread about the evils of Telecom,and a good old fashioned AMD VS intel debate....

And i might aproach the destiny church about a campaign against the evils sims games are inflicting on our male offspring,im sure they can make a direct link between Doll house simulators,pink hotpants and same sex marriges.

..................HA

Milso
21-09-2004, 12:24 PM
"Any facility that immediately cancels a user log-in when the user reverts to l33t speak or txt speak would be most welcome as well."

Lmao!

Biggles
21-09-2004, 12:38 PM
>Splitting it in 2 is a good idea,but they would imo still have to be the same forum,just one for general discussion and off topic,and one for specific computer problems.

I was envisioning the kind of deal where you have a pcworld.co.nz/forums or forums.pcworld.co.nz URL that takes you to a "community" homepage - 2, maybe 3 forums listed, all part of the same forum package, so you can jump between them easily. Fairly standard stuff with forums, well at least most forums except ours ....

As to when/if this might happen all I can say is we're making our case for the limited resource we have (which is hsared across the company) to be directed at us for a bit.

Susan B
21-09-2004, 01:07 PM
> And how soon can we get it done?,im all set to post another "show us ya desktop" thread,a thread about the evils of Telecom,and a good old fashioned AMD VS intel debate....

Uh oh... :O

Hey wait a minute Metla, you haven't finished the graphics card FAQ yet!! Get cracking! ;-)

metla
21-09-2004, 01:09 PM
true,but i did get my desk built...

Well,i paid someone to do it.

drb1
21-09-2004, 01:15 PM
> And how soon can we get it done?,im all set to post
> another "show us ya desktop" thread,a thread about
> the evils of Telecom,and a good old fashioned AMD VS
> intel debate....
>
> And i might aproach the destiny church about a
> campaign against the evils sims games are inflicting
> on our male offspring,im sure they can make a direct
> link between Doll house simulators,pink hotpants and
> same sex marriges.

Metla,

Ah, what is the status of version 2 Display Adapters, Before you wind up the oppinonated and unproffesional protaganists, in those issues, for your/our amusement.

D.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ..................HA

metla
21-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Status of Video card Faq version 2.

Metla is seeking inner peace.

Murray P
21-09-2004, 02:12 PM
> Status of Video card Faq version 2.
>
> Metla is seeking inner peace.

Peace!! are you ailing Metla, can we help, snick click?

Cheers Murray P

metla
21-09-2004, 02:16 PM
I would hazard a guess that my concept of inner peace is slightly askew of most peoples perception,although it does involve a case or 2 of Export Gold,served chilled,and acompanied by various forms of loud music.....

metla
21-09-2004, 02:17 PM
snick click?

what would that be?

Murray P
21-09-2004, 04:55 PM
> a case or 2 of Export Gold,served chilled,and acompanied by various forms
> of loud music.....

Nothing wrong with that idea of inner peace at all, except perhaps the choice of beverage, not to be sniffed at though ;)

(PS. Our kids are reintroducing us to the joys of AC/DC, Marylin Manson, Iron Maiden, et al)

> snick click?
>
> what would that be?

Just checking the action in case a swift and kindly dispatch is required :D

Cheers Murray ;P

Apteryx
22-09-2004, 12:46 AM
Pardon a newbies ignorance but whats bumping?
Whats postcount and why would one want to increase it?
When is it too late -courtesy wise- to query a thread? I can only read them once a week.
Will my query get emailed to everyone on the thread to their boredom/ annoyance three days later?
Where can I find a 'glossary' of such terms?
Everyone on the forum lauds the FAQs? Am I the only one who can never open them?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
22-09-2004, 08:43 AM
> the evils of Telecom,and a good old fashioned AMD VS
> intel debate....

AMD.

Megaman
22-09-2004, 11:27 AM
> Pardon a newbies ignorance but whats bumping?

When someone posts purely to bring it to the top of the list

> Whats postcount and why would one want to increase
> it?

Every now and again PCworld has competitions. And to thanks people who help out here, everyone tho has X posts is in the draw.

> When is it too late -courtesy wise- to query a
> thread? I can only read them once a week.

If you have something useful to add, or have a question that directly relates to the topic then feel free to post. But it's generally berrer to post a new topic if the last one is over a month old.

> Will my query get emailed to everyone on the thread
> to their boredom/ annoyance three days later?

Anyone who dosen't want to get emails about the thread can simply stop watching it. Don't worry about it. Everyone here has a right to post.

> Where can I find a 'glossary' of such terms?

Just ask. People will be happy to help

> Everyone on the forum lauds the FAQs?

They are very useful, and all have highly useful information.

> Am I the only one who can never open them?

Nope. For most they are slow to load. The admins know, and are working to fix it. But good things come to those to wait ;)

JJJJJ
22-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Do NOT repeat, NOT even start to think of splitting the forum.
It's a simple matter to scan down the topics and open the ones that sound interesting. Ignore the ones that don't.
But waiting for Press F1 to load. Reading that. Then another wait while Press F2 opens. YUK!!!!!

One useful item would be a flashing light and rude noises that come on, only on the posters computer, every time a question is asked more than ten times
Jack

Pete O\'Neil
22-09-2004, 11:39 AM
can we have a rolling eyes emoticon in the new forum? it make sarcasim soo much easier :D

Susan B
22-09-2004, 11:54 AM
>> Am I the only one who can never open them?

> Nope. For most they are slow to load. The admins know, and are working to fix it. But good things come to those to wait

I am not sure what you are on about because the majority of the FAQs have been redone and reposted and should now open pretty much as fast as any recent thread, or no more than a few seconds slower. Have you actually tried any lately?

The only slow loading FAQs are the ones that do not have -FAQ- as the author.

Murray P
22-09-2004, 12:02 PM
> If you have something useful to add, or have a question that directly relates
> to the topic then feel free to post.

Yes.

> But it's generally berrer to post a new topic if the last one is over a month
> old.

Eh! why, If you're adding to a post, keep it in context. There is nothing wrong with posting in the thread that you have an answer for or a query about. Guideline, Item 5 (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=49912) gives adequate reasons for this.

Cheers Murray P