View Full Version : Sudden 'Black' screens

18-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Roughly between 1-5 times every day, and at no particluar time, my PC monitor goes black, or blank, nothing showing at all. Three other occurances periodically happen as well:
1) Sometimes the PC gets 'hung', and no blank screen (needs reboot)
2) Sometimes the monitor does not go blank but a message saying "Out of Frequency" happens. (lots of vertical lines before going blank)
3) After rebooting I often get a blue screen and the following text: The registry cannot load the HIVE (file): \system root\system32\config\software or its log or alternate. Beginning dump of .....

I have taken the machine to a repair shop, but they find nothing amiss, no virus or trojans or any spyware. I have also tried another monitor, to no avail.

I run WINXP.

Thanks in advance... From "Perplexed!"

18-09-2004, 09:22 PM
It really sounds like a major (but intermittent) hardware failure.

1 The black screen sounds like the PC has "died" for all intents.

2 The "out of frequency" is the same, it means the PC has suddenly tried to deliver a scan frequency to the monitor that the monitor cannot handle, so it complains. The PC has reset at this stage I would suspect.

3 The error message also suggests that the hard drive has failed. This could be generated from a power supply failure/abberation, as could the above.

Or from 1,569 other things.

But the monitor is highly unlikley to be one of the causes.

18-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Thanks for your help. Guess I should take it back to The PC Company for repairs!... yeah right.

18-09-2004, 10:46 PM
It is either the motherboard, or video card if you have a non-integrated one.

If you have a separate video card swap it with a friends, but I really think the motherboard's the fault here.

Nothing else could cause these blank screens etc.

Buy a new mobo I think Tony.

18-09-2004, 10:47 PM
OPh yeah, and that error will be that that file has been corrupted during one of these failures.