PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express - vanishing emails

Waiheke
18-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Yesterday a whole folder (within the Inbox) simply disappeared, today another folder vanished while I was in it. Then a heap of emails in the Inbox main folder simply vanished. We've updated the NAV and run full system scan and no virus. does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Scouse
18-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Hi and welcome.
Have a look at the remaining folders. Check if any of them have a sub-folder, indicated by the small plus [+] sign alongside the name. A possible cause of "losing" folders is for you to have dragged the folder name on to another, thereby making it a subfolder. If this has happened, clcik on the sub-folder and drag it up to the Inbox name.

Waiheke
19-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi Scouse, and thanks very much for your reply. I'm afraid it's not a case of accidentally moved folders - we did check that and no sign. My partner is also certain that he say 11 emails in the INBOX (bolded with the number in brackets beside it) and the next time he looked, they were gone as well. It's so weird!

So, any other suggestions would be most welcome! Thanks again.
Regards
Lynda

Murray P
19-09-2004, 02:28 PM
What version of windows, IE and OE?

Have you updated or changed any settings in windows, OE or IE lately (there's been a heap of updates lately, as always)?

Check the server settings and message rules in OE, eg, has something changed as far as blocking messages, deleteing from the server, moving messages once read, or some such.

Sorry I'm a bit hazy on OE, haven't used it in a while and not in windows at the mo.

One way to work around this and at least get your messages back, if you haven't got things set to delete messages off the server once read or downloaded (usually time set to say, 5 days after download of messages), is to download and install an email client like Mozilla Thunderbird (http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/download.html) and re-download you messages. If you want more help as to how to set up Thunderbird, get back.

Cheers Murray P

Waiheke
19-09-2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks for your reply Murray. We're using OE 5, and IE5 as well as we're not able to get IE6 to download properly... that's another issue... we can't uninstall the 1/2 loaded upgrade either so go nowhere!

I'm considering downloading Eudora and trying that. Do you mind telling me which email/internet you use and if it's better?

Will check the rules in OE5 (I don't think anything has been changed) and will try the other installation you mentioned. Thank you very much for your help!!! :-)

Cheers Lynda

Murray P
19-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Eeek! OE & IE 5, You have 2 severe security risks installed on you PC :O

What version of windows? How do you connect to the net? Do you have a firewall?

Even if you use a different browser and email client you will still be vulnerable to certain of IE's & OE's ver 5 security holes although, using a different email client will improve things vastly.

I use the Mozilla Firefox browser and Thunderbird email on windows and Mozilla (combined browser & email suite) and Firefox on Linux.

Get Firefox, install and import your settings and bookmarks, then install Thunderbird (both have windows installers now). In Firefox go to the Tools menu > Extensions > Get More Extensions > and grab/donload and install (should be automatic in windows) Adblock. Firefox also has pop up blocking (settings are under Tools Preferences or Options [I'm getting confused between win and Linux, have a look around]) and tabbed browsing whereby you can open multiple pages or sites in tabs rather than new windows and just swap between them as per clicking on any other tabbed window in Windows, brilliant.

In Thunderbord you can import your emails, address book and settings. It's very similar to OE but much better in my opinion, eg, built in spam filter.

Have fun ;)

Cheers Murray P

stu120404
19-09-2004, 03:42 PM
> Eeek! OE & IE 5, You have 2 severe security risks
> installed on you PC :O
>
> What version of windows?

I bet it is either Win 98 or 98 2nd Ed or Win ME or NT ( I would Eeek! if they are running any thing older)

> Even if you use a different browser and email client
> you will still be vulnerable to certain of IE's &
> OE's ver 5 security holes although, using a different
> email client will improve things vastly.

But it depends on what updates they have installed & if they are using version 5.5 SP2 or just Version 5

Murray P
19-09-2004, 04:00 PM
True

They're all (IE, OE) a big steaming pile of festering pig manure as far as I'm concerned tho, but my personal biases shouldn't get in the way of improving someones lot by whatever means, IE/OE 6 SP1 is better than 5.? in my opinion. Wiil also depend on OS updtaes applied, which I guess are minimal as IE would have been part of the deal or have I become too used to win2k and forgotten what the form is for win95 abd 98. Pure speculation at this stage anyway.

A-hum, applogies for taling behhind your back Waiheke, what OS, win95, 98, win2k, winXP?

Cheers Murray P

Waiheke
19-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Chortle Chortle! Yes, eeeek feels about right! We're running ME. Have tried to install IE6 and the Windows UPdate service packs regularly for about 2 years!!! But it get's to about 75% and seizes up.

Have downloaded Mozilla and it looks good except it doesn't have a system for 'insert signature' and in our business, we have heaps of 'standard paragraphs' that we save as signatures and insert into the body of the mail message as required.

Any other suggestions on getting rid of IE5 altogether and replacing with???? Thanks for your time Murray!

Cheers
Lynda

Waiheke
19-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Have just realised I've missed a few of the threads!! Will re-read it all now.

Cheers
Lynda

Waiheke
19-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Right - have re-read all, and thank you to Stu as well!

We run Me and the IE is 5.5. online access is via a ADSL Router (Dynalink RTA300W) which has a firewall..... I'm about the try and check that it has and it is enabled! Otherwise, no we don't have a firewall.

We only run IE and OE because it's there already. I would be most happy to jump the fence!

Cheers
Lynda

Murray P
19-09-2004, 04:24 PM
> Chortle Chortle! Yes, eeeek feels about right!
> We're running ME. Have tried to install IE6 and the
> Windows UPdate service packs regularly for about 2
> years!!! But it get's to about 75% and seizes up.

Not sure what that is, there was an issue with windows update and winXP. Look for a patch on the MS site to fix this, rather than use windows update, that is, browse > downlaod and execute the exe file.

> Have downloaded Mozilla and it looks good except it
> doesn't have a system for 'insert signature' and in
> our business, we have heaps of 'standard paragraphs'
> that we save as signatures and insert into the body
> of the mail message as required.

Yes it does. Are you using Mozilla suite? Firefox and Thunderbird will be closer in functions, look and feel to IE & OE than Mozilla although, things are still layed out a little differently. I'll have a rummage around and see if I can't come up with some common functions you might need or, theres a very good Help/Support/How To's websites and the Help in the browser and email client themselves.

> Any other suggestions on getting rid of IE5
> altogether and replacing with???? Thanks for your
> time Murray!

Unfortunately, MS in their wisdom (and for reasons to MS's benefit more than users) decided to embed IE into the operating system (windows) and it cannot be entirely removed. This is essentially why, when there is a vulnerability in IE/OE, it becomes a vulnerability for the OS and other applications (like Office app's) that rely on it. There are ways around it but, get a functioning browser and email client up and running, learn them the look at IE. Also have a look at the Press F1 FAQ's (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.jsp?forum=1) re security, computer maintenance, hime page hijackers and virus's (virii) and poss FAQ 101for some hints and tips.

> Cheers
> Lynda

Your welcome ;)

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
19-09-2004, 04:44 PM
> We only run IE and OE because it's there already. I would be most happy to
> jump the fence!

We'll have you running Linux soon ;)

The RTA300 is a good router, it has NAT which will (largely) protect you from hacking via the net. You really should have a software firewall installed as well to prevent nasties on your computer from calling out. I prefer Kerio Personal Firewall (http://www.kerio.com/kerio.html), I advise that you read up on it via the support > FAQ or Kerio forums before you implement it tho, as it will block anything and everything if not set up correctly including programmes running on your PC (it's best to run any firewall to ask all permissions initially while you get the hang of it, then make rules when you are comfortable with the settings, you'llbe shocked with what want to access the net from your PC and what want to come in). Zone Alarm is supposed to be easier and some swear by it but, I and many others have had problems with it and I prefer the configurability of Kerio or Agnitum Outpost Firewall (http://www.agnitum.com/) (free version). Norton Internet Security has a built in firewall, does your version have this, again many have found Norton to be problematical and a resource hog.

Having criticised certain programmes due to mine and others experiences, there are also many perfectly happy users of these programmes, so, whatever works, is efficient in what it does and spins your wheels, is the programme for you. There is also a list of links in the Press F1 FAQ's, virus and security sections to AV and firewall sites both free and paid.

Cheers Murray P

Waiheke
19-09-2004, 06:22 PM
> We'll have you running Linux soon ;)

Ha! You may be right!!! My partner has been really keen to try Linux for ages, but again, it's finding the time to get it up and running while still running a full time business.
>
> The RTA300 is a good router, - Well, that's at least ONE thing we've got right! Will download Kerio and try that as suggested.
> [url=http://www.kerio.com/kerio.html]Kerio Personal
>
> Having criticised certain programmes due to mine and
> others experiences,

If we didn't have opinions of people such as yourself, the rest of us would stay bogged down in old technology just because we're not game to try something new.

I note with interest that, even though I now have Mozilla set as the default browzer, when I clicked on the link in the email to the Press F1, it opened in IE!! Cheeky buggas!!

Thanks again for all of your wonderful help, Murray. I hope you won't mind if I bother you again. :-)

Cheers
Lynda

Susan B
19-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Lynda: Were you wanting to recover your lost emails? If so, you may be able to extract them from their .dbx files.

Download DBXtract (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23383,00.asp), do a search for *.dbx (or inbox.dbx if you only have an Inbox folder in OE) and direct DBXtract to the location you find it in. You should then be able to recover your emails, including (hopefully) your "lost" ones.

Murray P
19-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks Susan, I should have got on to that aspect.

There is a way to stop IE from popping up, Chilling Silence compiled a How To (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=51518&message=316274&q=Replace+Internet+Explorer#316274) on PF1 recently (might be best left for the mo, business to run = mission critical). You'll still need IE for windows update and some websites (eg, some unenlightened [b]ankers) although many of these can be overcome with plugins/extensions or browser ID (your browser identifies itself to the website as IE, sneaky eh!, this actually inflates the number of IE browser used worldwide in web stat's by 15-20%).

If you would like some light reading have a look at this (http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html), look past the author's obvious affliction and get an insight into why many people try Linux apart from being; curious, like fiddling on their machines, incurable geeks. :)

Cheers Murray P

Waiheke
20-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the advice Susan, Yes, I will definitely try your suggestion. We really do need to recover the 'lost' emails, especially the new ones in the inbox. I've had a day of computer trials and tribulations and it has made me realise why we just continue using MS stuff - trying any changes causes all sorts of little problems. Thanks again for your help! :)

Cheers
Lynda