PDA

View Full Version : Networking (Win98)

xineohp
18-09-2004, 11:35 AM
I have this problem networking two machines both running win98 I have configured both machine (running through a hub) and one sees the other but the other won't see either itself or the other machine (hope you can follow that).
Machine A (the one that won't see anything) everytime I double click on the Network Neighbourhood all I can see is Entire Network when I double click this I get Unable to browse Network error box, when I click start, find, computer and type in the name of machine B it finds it however when I double click on it an error box saying the they are not logged on comes up.

Machine B sees machine A no problems and I can access any of the files on machine A.

I thought it was the network card but after three different ones it can't be

Any suggestions what I can do?

Cheers

tommy
18-09-2004, 11:44 AM
The forum has a Networking FAQ that may be of some help. Link to FAQs top right of this page.

Terry Porritt
18-09-2004, 01:04 PM
I have had flaky experiences networking using TCP/IP protocol. If you are using that , then try installing the IPX/SPX compatible Protocol, and use that for file sharing. It is sure-fire, as is the Netbeui protocol.

One advantage of IPX/SPX over NetBeui is that it can be used with Linux, and can also be installed with XP.