PDA

View Full Version : Using the Administrator account when not online, still unsafe?

Scattershot06
18-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Iv'e heard that it's un-safe pratice always using the Administrator account when you are connected to the internet and surf the net under the admin account using Win XP Pro.
However, I don't have an internet connection at home, and always use the admin account. Is this still un-safe practice? What bad things could happen?

Patrick 2003
18-09-2004, 11:43 AM
> Iv'e heard that it's un-safe pratice always using the
> Administrator account when you are connected to the
> internet and surf the net under the admin account
> using Win XP Pro.
really? im using a admin account right now and i always do and never hand any problems , as long as you have a firewall and antivirus you should be fine

> However, I don't have an internet connection at home,
> and always use the admin account. Is this still
> un-safe practice? What bad things could happen?
you could change a few settings but thats all

stu120404
18-09-2004, 11:49 AM
> > Iv'e heard that it's un-safe pratice always using
> the
> > Administrator account when you are connected to
> the
> > internet and surf the net under the admin account
> > using Win XP Pro.
> really? im using a admin account right now and i
> always do and never hand any problems , as long as
> you have a firewall and antivirus you should be fine

Same, I am also using my admin account online right now as well

Chilling_Silence
18-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Realistically - Its unsafe to be logged in even when you're not online - Its just too easy to break stuff.

I know you've all been taught that's not how to do it, and bad coders make it so programs like (Certainly in older versions) ICQ Lite wont run unless you're an administrator.

Linux users have this right, and I think Mac users do it too....

Its just simply too easy to break things. I mean, you've got complete and utter control over it, including the ability to format the HDD you're currently using! You can delete vital operating system files.....
Surely this is not good because if you can do it, then so can a virus, correct?!

I'm probably preaching to the unreachable here, but as a Network Administrator, who logs in to his own laptop (Im the sole user) as a USER, not a Power User or Administrator, I can say that things are more secure, and its a lot harder to break things because you have to think twice about the changes you're making by (In windows): logging out and logging in as Admin to make the changes.

</rant>

Chill.

alphazulusixeightniner
18-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Some people use the 'Run As Administrator' function when using an account with less priviledges, but I can't be bothered so I just use an Administrator account.

Patrick 2003
18-09-2004, 06:16 PM
> Some people use the 'Run As Administrator' function
> when using an account with less priviledges
huh? please explain, what do ya mean, cant say ive seen this feature in xp, isnt there only limited and adminstrative priviledges

alphazulusixeightniner
18-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Ok, so you are logged on as a power user. You right click on an .exe file or shortcut to a program, then under the Open text is 'Runs as' so click that. Then you change it to Administrator and enter in the password, then whenever you want to install a program or run it as an Administrator which is sometimes required, you don't have to log out and log in.

Terry Porritt
18-09-2004, 08:23 PM
>>>>Realistically - Its unsafe to be logged in even when you're not online - Its just too easy to break stuff.

Maybe, if you have a click-happy outlook on life :)

Well, I like living dangerously, I had complete control over Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows98SE, so I dont see why I shouldn't with XP or Win2k.

Personally I think the said risks of running as administrator on a home network or sole computer are exaggerated, especially with firewall, AV, and regular complete backups.

A company situation is different.

Patrick 2003
18-09-2004, 09:44 PM
> >>>>Realistically - Its unsafe to be logged in even
> when you're not online - Its just too easy to break
> stuff.
>
> Maybe, if you have a click-happy outlook on life :)
>
> Well, I like living dangerously, I had complete
> control over Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98,
> Windows98SE, so I dont see why I shouldn't with XP or
> Win2k.
>
> Personally I think the said risks of running as
> administrator on a home network or sole computer are
> exaggerated, especially with firewall, AV, and
> regular complete backups.
>
> A company situation is different.
>

i agree

Chilling_Silence
18-09-2004, 11:39 PM
I can agree with that, having been a PC user for over a Decade....

...What if you're not the one in control of it though (Think: Family members, friends, malware, spyware, trojans etc)?!

george12
19-09-2004, 12:18 AM
My account is AN administrator, but not ADministrator, and that's the way it's gonna stay.

I couldn't live with a "Limited" account - It'd be like the computers at school :o

Chilling_Silence
19-09-2004, 01:23 AM
Neither are most of the accounts I frequently clean up after....

Its not that bad - Just means you need to think twice before altering any major system settings.... :p