PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Networking

Supertrooper
17-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Elsewhere in this forum there was a post from someone who'd had problems with his network intermittently stopping, and he'd tracked the fault down to a setting in the local networks configuration - "Enable IEEE 801.1x authentication for this connection".

I think he was using WinXP.

I'm using Windows 2000 Pro, so I did some hunting on Microsoft's website about this IEEE 801.1x issue.
Sure enough, a patch was released, sometime after SP3, but before SP4.

It's listed in their knowledge base as patch # 313664.

So I downloaded the patch, and tried to install it. I have SP4 on my machine, and it produced an error message saying that the patch requires SP3 minimum.

So back to square one and more searching on the MS website. After a while I discovered that this patch is incorporated into SP4.

Problem is, even after applying SP4 again, it still doesn't apply patch # 313664.
From what MS say, when this patch is applied, it should provide a tab in any network connection box that says "Authentication".

I have looked all round, and so far no authentication tabs in any network connection boxes.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Rob99
18-09-2004, 12:20 AM
A little more info about your problem regarding your settings and what is happening with the wireless connection

Supertrooper
18-09-2004, 01:08 AM
Hi Rob99, situation is this - 2 PCs - both running Windows 2000 Pro.
The host is connected to the internet and works perfectly. It has a wireless network card in it and is essentially a "server" - running ICS.
The second PC also running Windows 2000 Pro. Also has a wireless network adapter (USB) and can talk to the host and shares the host's internet connection no problems at all. [I solved an earlier issue where the client PC could access some websites but not all].

The problem now is that the network seems drop at random, no particular time frame. Sometimes it can stay up for several days, sometimes it only manages an hour or so. Once it dropped when I was accessing the host from the client - I was watching the network icons in the systray and it just ground to a halt.

The icons on both computers show the network as still being up, simply no data is being transferred. Often it appears as one icon lit on the client PC but not the other icon.

When this happens not only can I not access the internet from the client, I also can't see any shared folders on the host.

So far I have found that if I disconnect the USB adapter at the client end, reconnect it then do a site rescan on the host, it usually comes back up.

The other person who posted a similar story elsewhere on this forum had a very similar problem, and the MS Knowledge Base article #313664 tells a very similar story to what my problem is here, so I thought it was worth a go.

Hope this helps.

Rob99
18-09-2004, 01:57 AM
There is a bunch of stuff in MS knoledge base if you do a search for wireless netork.
Maybe this (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821400) link may help.

Do you have an option to repair.
I had a similar problem, I repaired the conection and selected a new ip address and used a more powerfull antena.

Supertrooper
11-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the info Rob. Cheers.