PDA

View Full Version : SPAM (again) is this solution too simple?

buzzybee
17-09-2004, 07:21 PM
When I make a one-letter typo in an e-mail address to a friend, I get it back as 'Undeliverable'. So why is it spammers get through to my mailbox with addresses that bear no resemblance to my correct one except for my provider?
For instance, if a friend types my address as: ermine@xtra.co.nz instead of ervine@xtra.co.nz (not my real address by the way) I will never receive it, right? But when a spammer sends it as xyzbigone@xtra.co.nz I do get it!! Would it not solve (most of) the problem of spam if our providers only allowed the correct address through? Maybe that's too simple for this complicated world?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-09-2004, 07:33 PM
BCC field in your e-mail program.

I sends a Blind Carbon Copy - put abcfd@isp.co.nz in the To: Field then put eleventeen thousand addresses in the BCC: Field.

Spam.

Simple.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-09-2004, 07:40 PM
As an aside, posting your e-mail address on a searchable intarwebnet message board is a sure way of getting picked up by spammers.

Maybe if the moderator sees this they might like to edit the addresses out.

Jen C
17-09-2004, 07:46 PM
>> As an aside, posting your e-mail address on a
>> searchable intarwebnet message board is a sure way of
>>getting picked up by spammers.

>ermine@xtra.co.nz instead of ervine@xtra.co.nz (not my real address by the way)

Buzzybee was careful, and did not post their real addy.

Feel sorry for ermine and ervine at xtra tho now :D

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-09-2004, 07:48 PM
> Buzzybee was careful, and did not post their real
> addy.

Gah. Too much reading already today so was skimming for main points only.

tweak\'e
17-09-2004, 07:58 PM
>SPAM (again) is this solution too simple?

what solution ?

if they don't have your addy right you will not get the email.

odds are your reading the wrong address or the addresses that are listed are faked.

cadifan
17-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Solution to spamming, simple, track them down and shoot them!

Virus writers require more tools, a rack, some hot coals, boiling oil...

drb1
17-09-2004, 09:31 PM
> Solution to spamming, simple, track them down and
> shoot them!

Cruelty to bullets.

>
> Virus writers require more tools, a rack, some hot
> coals, boiling oil...

Too much work, just hang them upside down by their private bits, in containers of thier own waste,

They will then decay in to the containers and become fertilizer, thus doing something useful in their afterlife.

buzzybee
17-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Sigh..... I knew my solution was too simple for this complicated world... especially when people don't read things properly

buzzybee
17-09-2004, 09:49 PM
BTW whiskeyTango etc... BCC is still sent to my address even though it is NOT my address!

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Thats the whole point of it.

If I want to send an e-mail to someone I put their name in the To: field, if I want to send it to other people that person can't see I put them in the BCC: field.

So I put xxffkk99@stupidisp.co.nz into the To: field. I then put you@yourisp.co.nz; bob@hisisp.co.nz; someotherdolt@theirisp.co.nz into the BCC: field.

You all get a copy, but it looks like it was addressed to someone else.

buzzybee
17-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Whiskey, you said "If I want to send an e-mail to someone I put their name in the To: field, if I want to send it to other people that person can't see I put them in the BCC: field."

As far as I can see... this is still nothing to do with my provider who should be able to tell that xyz@tralala. net dot nz is NOT my addy!!!

Jen C
17-09-2004, 10:12 PM
What WTF is trying to say, is that your email addy would of been entered into the BCC field, which means you cannot see it or anyone else's email addy. To you the email would only display xyz@tralala.net.nz in the To: field and the BCC field is invisible to you. You got a copy of this email because of the hidden BCC field entry with your valid email addy.

buzzybee
17-09-2004, 10:27 PM
> What WTF is trying to say, is that your email addy
> would of been entered into the BCC field, which means
> you cannot see it or anyone else's email addy. To
> you the email would only display xyz@tralala.net.nz
> in the To: field and the BCC field is invisible to
> you. You got a copy of this email because of the
> hidden BCC field entry with your valid email addy.

Yes, I know all that, but that is all to do with me, not my provider so I reiterate:
As far as I can see... this is still nothing to do with my provider who should be able to tell that xyz@tralala. net dot nz is NOT my addy!!!

cadifan
17-09-2004, 10:32 PM
buzzybee, if your addy is in the BCC field how do you know it is mis-spelt? You can't see it. If it was mis-spelt you wouldn't get it.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-09-2004, 10:35 PM
> Yes, I know all that, but that is all to do with me,
> not my provider so I reiterate:
> As far as I can see... this is still nothing to do
> with my provider who should be able to tell that
> xyz@tralala. net dot nz is NOT my addy!!!

Stop. Read. Think.

If it was a legitimate message that was being sent, with your address in the BCC field (say a copy you sent to yourself, something someone didn't want the recipient to know you were getting a copy of, a message sent to lots of recipients using the BCC field so you don't have to see all the addresses) it would be delivered to you, thats how the whole system works.

Spammers are abusing the BCC field - it's a legitimate e-mail field commonly in use every day for legitimate purposes.

I don't think it can be made any simpler.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Even better try this:
Why do I get e-mail that isn't addressed to me? (http://faq.comcast.net/faq/answer.jsp?name=17941&cat=Security&subcategory=Spam)

It even has pretty pictures.

somebody
18-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Unless the whole concept of BCC is eliminated from the internet and email, the problem will not end. Doing that would simply ruin the hundreds of legitimate uses of BCC in the email world.

Whiskytangofoxtrot has already explained what you're seeing and how in fact the spammers DO have your email address, and are putting it in the BCC field. The mail server at their end is being told to deliver the email to every address in the To:. the CC:, and the BCC: field. When your ISP server receives it, the email has been sent to "you" because your name was in the BCC field. The details of other people's email addresses who were originally in the BCC field are not transferred to your ISP's server. The "correct address" as you refer to is in the message, it is in the BCC field, which tells the mail server to deliver it to you. Addressing an email to you via the BCC field and the CC or To field is exactly the same, as the mailserver routes it to your address.

Billy T
18-09-2004, 05:04 PM
There is a fundamental truth here:

If there was any simple solution to spam, we'd all be doing it and the spammers would be out of business.

Mailwasher and similar "delete at server" programs are the next best bet.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)