PDA

View Full Version : photoshop

denise
17-09-2004, 04:31 PM
When I try to import a pdf file into photoshop under "Automate" "multipage pdf file to psd" I get the message "this file requires too much memory to rasterize all of the elements correctly. Rasterize anyway?" If I press continue I end up with a blank page. Any ideas? The pdf file is only 359kb. Thanks

Spacemannz
17-09-2004, 04:39 PM
I didnt know photoshop could reader a pdf file? there's psd i think. Which isnt the same as pdf.

Spartacus
17-09-2004, 05:18 PM
> I didnt know photoshop could reader a pdf file?
> there's psd i think. Which isnt the same as pdf.
>

Would be more surprised if it couldn't, considering both Acrobat and Photoshop are Adobe products, and pdf files are used fairly commonly to transfer images for printing.

Don't know what would be causing the problem Denise, but I'll try on mine at home tonight, if I remember... ;)

Spartacus
17-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Is there an option to do the import manually? You could maybe lower the resolution that it's sampling at, or maybe reduce the colour depth - just a thought, and it may tell you where the problem lies.

Spacemannz
17-09-2004, 05:23 PM
But arent pdf files, what acrobat reader loads? theyre usually bigger than 300k

godfather
17-09-2004, 05:33 PM
> But arent pdf files, what acrobat reader loads?
> theyre usually bigger than 300k

Why would they be bigger?
It depends whats in them.
They could be fro 20 k to many megabytes in size.

I would suspect a corruption in the file could do that.
Does it open OK in Adobe Reader?

Spacemannz
17-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Well true.....but i doubt photoshop would have read it

denise
17-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Am importing at 72 d.p.inch at greyscale so it should be a piece of cake.

Spartacus
17-09-2004, 07:12 PM
In that case, i'd have to go along with godfather on file corruption - do you have any others you could try??

k8smum
17-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Hi
Out of interest (I've never attempted to import pdf's into PShop before) I tried it. I have PShop v 5.5. It worked fine. The original file was a 1,256KB greyscale map of the North Island, with quite a bit of detail on it. While it was doing it's thing a message appeared in the PShop taskbar saying "parsing generic pdf format" then "rasterizing generic pdf format" and voila - there's the pic less than a minute later. Very clever. Maybe you are a little short on (PC) grunt. I did this on a 730MHz Intel III processor with 512 MB RAM. I don't know if PC power makes a difference - maybe a technical person could confirm one way or the other? Cheers.

k8smum
17-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Hmmm. On re-reading your original post, I strongly suspect that lack of power is, in fact, the problem.

Spartacus
17-09-2004, 07:45 PM
> Hmmm. On re-reading your original post, I strongly
> suspect that lack of power is, in fact, the problem.

Shouldn't be for a file under 400k...