PDA

View Full Version : Best Graphics Option?

Spartacus
17-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Please feel free to extol (or shoot down) one or other of the following video card options, bearing in mind that price is a very significant factor...

1) A single, low-spec card with dual monitor outputs

2) Two cards (1 AGP, 1 PCI for eg)

It's to run on a winXP machine - no games. Closest thing to intensive graphics would be showing the occasional dvd.

Any comments, name-dropping, price ranges appreciated :-)

Spartacus

metla
17-09-2004, 01:38 PM
fx5200 with dual outputs.

Give you excellent picture quality,modern tech,good price,enough grunt to power to monitors,Excellent drivers,and you dont have the need to run 2 seperate cards and 2 lots of drivers.

Pete O\'Neil
17-09-2004, 01:51 PM
> fx5200 with dual outputs.
>
> Give you excellent picture quality,modern tech,good
> price,enough grunt to power to monitors,Excellent
> drivers,and you dont have the need to run 2 seperate
> cards and 2 lots of drivers.
i disagree i think a 9200 would be a better purchase, ATI have superior 2D quality. Plus it has all the other benefits you've mentioned.

metla
17-09-2004, 01:55 PM
well....I disagree as well,because i have an issue with anybody disagreeing with me.

HA.

I'm no fan of the budget ATI cards,for no real reason that i can pinpoint though.

Spartacus
17-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Well the price of both of those is in the right range - do they have 2 vga outputs, or would you have to use a composite output for the second display?

Spartacus

metla
17-09-2004, 02:04 PM
My advice is to now email your chosen retailer and ask them if they can supply an item that fits your exact needs.

Pete O\'Neil
17-09-2004, 02:07 PM
It'll most likely have a CRT and DVI output, alot of cards come with the adapter to convert from DVI to CRT, otherwise they can normally be brought for around $14.

Since your not playing playing games you can probably get away with the cheapest option possible, whether it be ATI or nVidia.

Spartacus
17-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Cheers guys - appreciate the help :)

drb1
17-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Guys,

Dum (maybe question) is this to run 2 monitors on 1 card/Pc at once. or to have a choice of out puts? I cant quiet make that clear from this thread.

Reason:

I all ways understood you had to have a matched pair of cards to run 2 monitors on 1 P/c at the same time. I have a freind who wishes to do this but he is out of PCI slots.

D.

alphazulusixeightniner
17-09-2004, 02:24 PM
That may have been true in the days of the cards using the PCI bus, but now with the AGP bus and newer cards you can have dual ouputs on the back, so you can often run 2 monitors and even output to the TV as well.

Pete O\'Neil
17-09-2004, 02:27 PM
The way i read it Spartcus wanted to know what was the best way of running dual screens. Myself and Melta both reckonmended getting a entry level AGP card with dual ouput, but you can uses a second PCI video card, the AGP option just means your not wasting a PCI slot.

>I all ways understood you had to have a matched pair of cards to run 2 monitors on 1 P/c
The PCI cards dont need to be matching, you could even use 1 AGP and 1PCI. I know a guy with a X800 and a PCI 9200SE that runs 3x 17' LCD's, its makes for awsome websurfing machine.

drb1
17-09-2004, 02:39 PM
This is good,

Will Win 98se have any "Issues" as this is what he runs?

Will MDK 9.2/10 have any issues with this/ is it possible to do this in Mdk 9.2/10?

As this is what he is considering for his next o/s.

D.

Spartacus
17-09-2004, 02:51 PM
> The way i read it Spartcus wanted to know what was
> the best way of running dual screens.

That's right - well, one screen and one projector. The projector has an s-vid input, but a vga cable has already been run, hence my other question. In saying that, it wouldn't be a big deal to run another cable. I really just wanted to know if I could save any money by getting two basic cards, as opposed to one with dual outputs (and whether there were any associated pitfalls).

I hadn't thought about the drivers until it was mentioned - it would definitely be tidier just having drivers for one card - so that's a plus for the dual-out option...

S

Pete O\'Neil
17-09-2004, 03:01 PM
If my memory serves me right i dont think 98 supports more than one monitor, but i could be wrong.

You can get away with a second PCI card Spartacus either way would work, there as good as each other, just make sure you have a spare PCI slot.