PDA

View Full Version : Wired Country with Smoothwall PC Firewall, possible

tminus
17-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi all,

Thought I would put this in a separate thread from my previous one.

If I have a wired country connection, can I run it into an old pc that has 2 Nics?

This pc would be running smoothwall, so the wired country signal would come in one nic, then go out the the other nic into the switch for my network for shared access..

Is it feasible?

Thanks for your help :)

CYaBro
17-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. AFAIK Smoothwall will work with just about any internet connection. i.e. Dial-up, ADSL, cable, wireless.

I have a client who uses the old line-of-site Walker Wireless for their internet connection and if I didn't put in the IPCop PC (same as Smoothwall) then their network would be open to hackers as the wireless connection doesn't have a router or anything.

tminus
17-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the response,

So the average home user with Wired COuntry running straight into their one pc would have no protection unless they installed a software firewall such as McAffee Guardian or Zonealarm.. is that right? Whereas if they were using dialup and XP then they would at least have the XP firewall to help..

Makes sense to have the smoothwall pc running then.

Will get onto it tonight. Havent got Wired country yet, just preparing my home network for it :)

Thanks again

Pete O\'Neil
17-09-2004, 01:00 PM
> Thanks for the response,
>
> So the average home user with Wired COuntry running
> straight into their one pc would have no protection
> unless they installed a software firewall such as
> McAffee Guardian or Zonealarm.. is that right?
> Whereas if they were using dialup and XP then they
> would at least have the XP firewall to help..
>
> Makes sense to have the smoothwall pc running then.
>
> Will get onto it tonight. Havent got Wired country
> yet, just preparing my home network for it :)
>
> Thanks again
With my DSL connection at home Windows detects the internet connection from my router and under network connection lists it as "high speed internet connection" (128k isnt exactly high speed) and im pretty sure that if you right click on this it has the windows firewall options.