PDA

View Full Version : Alert: Now Windows CAN be IE/Outlook Express Free within Mins and no Linux!

Chilling_Silence
16-09-2004, 11:54 PM
Yes, I did it.. And it was a piece of cake!

First off, Install Firefox and Thunderbird! These two brilliant pieces of software will serve as a replacement for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express!

This How-To has been made and tested with Windows XP Home/Pro. It _should_ work with any version of Windows, but can somebody please test it out for me?!

Run both Firefox and Thunderbird, tell them you dont want to import anything. You may as well make them the default, they will be soon anyways!

Now, right-click on the Start Menu and choose Explore
On the left-hand pane, click on C:\
Now, in the right-hand pane, Double-Click on Program Files

This is where we will now make copies of both Firefox and Outlook Express.
If you were to try and straight up rename Internet Explorer (At least this happens in WinXP) you would get Permission Denied: File In Use errors.

Now, In the Right-Hand Pane:
Right-Click, Hold and Drag Mozilla Firefox, releasing the Right mouse button somewhere where there is not a folder (eg White Space).
A drop-down menu will appear, left-click on Copy

Do likewise for Mozilla Thunderbird

You should now have two additional folders, called "Copy of Mozilla Thunderbird" and "Copy of Mozilla Firefox". If not, you've done it wrong and need to go back over it again.
Either that, or you need to Right-Click and "Arrange icons --> By Name"

Now, double-click on "Copy Of Mozilla Firefox".
Do the Right-Click "Drag and Copy" again with firefox.exe, you'll have a copy called "Copy of firefox.exe". If you have Filename Extensions hidden, you'll only see "Copy of Firefox". This is fine as long as you copied the file with the Firefox Logo for an icon.

Right-click on "Copy of Firefox" and rename it to "iexplore" (If you have extensions enabled, it should go from "Copy of Firefox.exe" to "iexplore.exe")

Excellent - One is Prepared and ready, One to go.

Click on "Copy of Mozilla Thunderbird" in the left-hand pane
Now, on the right side do the Right-Click "Drag and Copy" with thunderbird.exe. You'll have "Copy of Thunderbird". Rename it to "msimn" (Or if you have extensions enabled, "msimn.exe").

Excellent, we're done here! All is prepared and ready!
Click Start
--> Shutdown
--> Restart

Now, restart your PC, and hit F8 just before Windows would normally start loading.
You should now have a nice long list....
If you're running WinXP, Win2K, WinNT, or Server 2003 you want to select "Safe mode with Command Prompt".
If you're running Win95, 98, or ME then choose Command Prompt Only

You'll now be sitting at a command prompt.
This is good :-)

cd \
cd "Program Files"
move "Internet Explorer" "IEBackup"
move "Copy of Mozilla Firefox" "Internet Explorer"
move "Outlook Express" "OEBackup"
move "Copy of Mozilla Thunderbird" "Outlook Express"

Now, if you're running Win9x, type:
win
Windows should now load

If you're running WinNT-Based, type:
exit
It should reboot, let it boot normally

Congrats! You've just (By-and-large) rid your PC of Internet Explorer, and Outlook Express also!!
How cool are you!

Hope this helps,
Can I get somebody to run through this in Win9x for me and lemme know if it works when you're moving the folders in Command-Prompt Only mode??

Any feedback, letting me know it works or not, from anybody who tries it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2004, 01:32 AM
Hey, can somebody Time how long it takes them to do this?!

alphazulusixeightniner
17-09-2004, 01:59 AM
Unfortunately I need my Internet Explorer to do work on.

drb1
17-09-2004, 07:17 AM
Chill.

All the time I was trying out that thing I sent you, I was thinking surely this can be done in the Windows enviroment.

Bill will not like you for this one.

D.

JJJJJ
17-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Do you think anyone really cares?
I'll stick with IE and OE.
Jack

Shaun Minfie
17-09-2004, 07:34 AM
I'll give it a go on the wifes machine tonite.... If you dont hear back from me, it didnt work and I'm on the run.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2004, 08:02 AM
> All the time I was trying out that thing I sent you,
> I was thinking surely this can be done in the Windows
> enviroment.
I was too... So look what I came up with ;-)

> Bill will not like you for this one.
We're not exactly on the best of terms anyways... ;-)

Jack:
I use it.... Im about to do this on every PC at the Cybercafe where I work too, so that I dont have to worry about the issues that come with Internet Explorer. As a Linux user, I have nothing against kissing IE goodbye forever! Give me Firefox, Konquror, or Opera anyday!

Shaun:
Awesome :-)
I'd be keen to hear how you get on!

Chill.

Terry Porritt
17-09-2004, 08:03 AM
I have never used Outlook Express, and here's how Microsoft tell you to uninstall it for W2K, but it is exactly the same procedure for XP, remove OE (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q263837).

Instead of renaming a heap of files it is easier to delete them :)

Alan Cottrell
17-09-2004, 08:14 AM
Hello Chill,

I cannot see any point in doing as you suggest,

Far from getting rid of OE or IE, you have merely moved them to another folder. (all the registry settings will still be associated with OE & IE and their many components)

I realise by renaming the firefox and thunderbird icons to the OE and IE will allow the shortcuts to execute correctly, however that is all that will work (short term)

The first update to either utility will cause you to have reassociate everything again and generally just be a disaster waiting to happen.

The correct way of doing what you want (in XP only) is just go to Control Panel, Add Remove, Windows Components, then run the uninstaller for OE and IE (this will not get rid of them completely, but it will get rid of all traces from the start menu. quick launch etc) and will leave the registry functioning correctly.

You can then just run whatever Browser and Email client you like without being bothered by OE or IE.

lastly, I think anyone trying your method while running Win98 or 98SE better have a good back up ready.

As Internet Explorer is built very deeply into the Windows shell on those systems and playing around with them invariably leads to disaster with a capital D.

Regards

AC

drb1
17-09-2004, 08:18 AM
> > All the time I was trying out that thing I sent
> you,
> > I was thinking surely this can be done in the
> Windows
> > enviroment.
> I was too... So look what I came up with ;-)
>
> > Bill will not like you for this one.
> We're not exactly on the best of terms anyways...
> ;-)

Chill.

It was a good use Knoppix exersise though.

D.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Alan:
Yes, I understand how integrated it really is.
Ive played a little with 98Lite trying to get rid of it... There's only so much that .asm patches can do.

Ive also tried playing with other shells. Especially the ReactOS shell!

Many applications simply call on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe to run a web-browser. This is forcing MozillaFirefox to be used over anything else.
Personally I feel a lot more secure knowing that its not very easy to get IE to go (Obviously you can type a web address into My Computer's address bar, but still...).
Removing via the Add / Remove Programs doesnt do the job very well at all.

Removing entries from the start menu will still allow MSN Messenger to load IE by default, will it not?

How is Win98 any worse than WinXP?
If anything, WinXP is more integrated than Win98 IMO?!

I guess I mainly wrote this because I continually found my family using IE, even though I specifically removed all IE icons, and set Firefox as default. This prevents that, meaning I have less to worry about Admin'ing their PC.

You are not being forced to do this, but this How-To is here for those, like myself, who do want to.

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2004, 08:26 AM
> It was a good use Knoppix exersise though.
>
> D.

Unless you're booting:
knoppix26

Captive-ntfs is still a pain, Ive never got it to go :-(

Otherwise its just as easy, if not easier!

drb1
17-09-2004, 08:51 AM
>
> Otherwise its just as easy, if not easier!

Chill,

Being out side the Enviroment also gives greater control over missbehaviour, as nothing is/can be open.

D.

Odin
17-09-2004, 11:42 AM
I don't really have a problem with outlook express so I'll keep on using it and I already use Firefox, although there are still some sites that don't work well with it unfortuately.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey, that's cool - You want to use it as-per-normal then its no skin off my back...

I just had a few emails after writing the How-To for Knoppix and figured this may be of use.

If people dont want to use it, then its of no worry to me :-)

Dolby Digital
17-09-2004, 11:53 AM
>>Do you think anyone really cares?
You may not. Users who are sick of viruses (plural), trojans might.

>>I'll stick with IE and OE.
Good for you. Little Microsoft needs to get that foot in the door :)