PDA

View Full Version : Site surfing

jerry_23
16-09-2004, 09:48 PM
I have a rather unusual problem.

I have a home network of 2 computers.
The host is a laptop with WinXP Home.
The client is a desktop with WinME.

The problem I have is from the Me machine, i cant connect to some websites, but others I can. At first, I thought it was just overseas sites, but now realise it is a bit of both.

2 sites I cant get is hotmail and the Xtra homepage, to name a few, but most other sites seem ok.

I have zonealarm on the XP machine but have turned off all firewalls and even spyware monitors but no difference.

From the XP host though, I can connect to anywhere no problem.

Sounds like a network setting maybe?

george12
16-09-2004, 11:38 PM
I think I know the problem. I have had it myself.

When you set up internet connection sharing, the MTU is sometimes set to 1500. This often doesn't work with sites, and they will simply refuse to load.

To change your MTU, run regedit (start->run->'regedit') and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameter s\Inter
faces\<ID for Adapter>

The ID for your adapter when clicked will show recognisable values such as your IP address and default gateway.

Create (or change if it's there) a value called MTU (Dword) and set it to, in this order,

Each time restarting and trying again. Choose the highest of the three numbers that work.

1400 is a very safe MTU that should always work, however higher numbers will get better performance. If you just want a quick fix, I would suggest 1452 as this worked perfectly for me.

Cheers, George

george12
16-09-2004, 11:39 PM
That's on the client PC by the way

Cheers

jerry_23
16-09-2004, 11:45 PM
OK thanks, I'll try that.
Cheers.

jerry_23
16-09-2004, 11:53 PM
I dont have Tcpip in the registry string of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameter s\Inter
faces\<ID for Adapter>

:(

jerry_23
17-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Just reading up about MTU and it sounds as if it could be a culprit. Things used to work, I wonder why it's changed if it has.

There are a few programs that can change the MTU speed, so i'm going to try one of them.

Thanks again. :)

jerry_23
17-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Success!!

I downloaded a program called tweakmaster, which does a whole host of things, one of which is the internet/network settings.

Two things though..all tweaks were done on the host and the MTU has been set to 576, but it was done by the program in an optimisation type fashion rather than just the one tweak.

Nevertheless, it's all working now, and theres not one site I cant get!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :) :)