PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 2 ntfs read/write

Shaun Minfie
16-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Hey There,

I have just downloaded and installed the ntfs rpm from here (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora2.html).

uname -a shows

Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.8-1.521 #1 Mon Aug 16 09:01:18 EDT 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
And thats the version of the rpm I downloaded and installed. I can mount the drive and read it using mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/archive but what I want to know is can I safely write using this ?

A little help on the fstab entry wouldnt go amis either :)

Cheers
Shaun

Ashley Matthews
16-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Yes and no. Whilst that will allow you to write to that partition, and it does it reasonably well, you must be aware that nfts writing support is not perfect in linux and can (and has) caused problems on the drive.

As for the fstab query, what do you want to do with it. Do you want to mount it for yourself only or do you want to mount it for all users with full r/w access or what?

Ashley

Shaun Minfie
16-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Ahhh ok. If its imperfic then I dont care if I can write to it. I aint that much of a risk taker.

Auto mount read only for all users would be good :)

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Try this then:
cat /etc/fstab | grep hdb1

This will show your current line for it.... It may need changing to:
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ntfs ro,users,umask=555 0 0

Chill.

Shaun Minfie
18-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Hey Chill,

Thanks for that.

I had to change it to /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ntfs ro,uid=sam,umask=555 0 0 so that I could get access to it.

Cheers
Shaun

Chilling_Silence
18-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Good to hear :-)

Can I ask how you found out to set the UID?

Well done :-)

Chill.

Shaun Minfie
18-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Lol. It was included one of the examples in the faq for the ntfs rpm.

The problem I had was that the FAQ seems to be quite old and out of date.

I would have thought that users should have worked hmmmmmm.

Now for KDE 3.3 :) Bring it on. I wish Dag had it the I could do the update through JSG.

Cheers
Shaun

Shaun Minfie
18-09-2004, 03:54 PM
my bad.

I wish Dag had the packages for it.

100 lines :)

Chilling_Silence
18-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Hehe... There's always the Source code in the Gentoo distfiles folder ;-)

Graham L
18-09-2004, 04:08 PM
I came across an article in a recent PC Authority which describes a different approach which is a really sneaky way to safely write to NTFS partitions.

What they do is use the Microsoft filesystem handler. :D :O The Linux installation copies the actual MS code from your licenced XP system, and puts it into a wrapper.

For you XP people who don't want a FAT partition to be the sandpit for file sharing for both read and write, this might be the way to go. MS might want to keep the file syetm implementation secret, but they have had to tell their own programmers. ;-)

Graham L
18-09-2004, 04:37 PM
"captive linux ntfs" will find it from Google. :D