PDA

View Full Version : Computer courses as a hobby

ephesus
16-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi all, I am interested in learning to build my own computer as a hobby. Topics would include "Installation, Configuration and Upgrading
Diagnosing and Troubleshooting, Preventive Maintenance
Motherboard/Processors/Memory, Printers, Basic Networking and
OS Fundamentals". Found a private school that offers a "Certificate in PC Technologies" for the above syllabus costing over $2000 for 40 hours of evening tuition. I am not bothered about the certificate but think the fees are expensive as a hobby. Does anyone konw of any night classes that offer similar courses as a hobby in Auckland. Any advice will be appreciated.

Jen C
16-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Go to your local library and get the brochures for the Community Education evening classes held in local high schools. Some offer courses on how to build your own computer. If your local area schools do not offer this program, you may need to search out other areas in Auckland if you don't mind travelling a bit. I haven't seen any courses which encompass your entire topic range. Whilst you are at the library, check out the technical computer books as there are some really good how-to books available.

JohnD
16-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Or visit your local Polytechnic and choose the subjects you need. Have a look at the NACCQ (National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications) site at:

http://www.naccq.ac.nz/bb_view/bbpre.html

Prices for individual modules are quite reasonable.