View Full Version : Wired Country - Nokia MW1122 Questions

16-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Hi there, I recently picked up a resealed new MW1122 router with no wireless card. I can use it as an adsl router to a hub or use wireless via pcmcia card. The pcmcia card that is specified for it is a nokia c110. Can I use any other wireless card for its slot? Or does it have to be the Nokia one. The c110 is 802.11b and I would have preferred using a 802.11g if I have to buy a new card.

Also, regarding the Ihug connect Wired Country phone service, when they put the box on the wall from the dish outside, does the cable from the box have to go into my Nokia router, or can it just go straight into the switch / hub to my home network?

I realise Jetstream goes into the router, but not familiar with Wired country.

Thanks guys. :)

Pete O\'Neil
16-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Your router wont work with Wired country, its a ADSL router. If you want to share your wired country connection independant of a PC to more than one PC you'll need to buy a new router. No it cant be pluged into a switch it either needs to be plugged into your PC or a router. You could add a second NIC to your PC and use ICS, but this isnt ideal as it will require your PC to be on for others to access the internet.

17-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks Pete, thats interesting :)

So I have a basic home network with switch ...

I was going to use the MW1122 just as a straight adsl router maybe 256k jetstream and run it into the uplink port on the switch and then the pcs connect through the switch on a basic ethernet / wired network .

So if I already have the switch/hub and the pcs networked, what type of router do I need to plug into the Wired Country wall box and then into the switch?


Pete O\'Neil
17-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Something such as the Linksys WRT54G would do the job, or you can save some money and get something without a AP. The MW1122 is bascially a Router with a built in ADSL modem, what you need is a router. These are often advertised as Cable/DSL routers. The Linksys router mentioned above comes with a 4port switch and AP, you could save some money and just get a router without the switch and AP.

Have a gander at this (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-template.asp?cname=Routers+%26+firewalls) page. I assume you'll be buying it wholesale but all the products on that page will be compatiable with the wired country modem.

It would probably be a good idea to get in touch with your ISP/Wired Country just to make sure your chosen router is alright to use. From memory Wired Country reckonmend/sell Linksys units but that may have changed.

17-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all that, thats a big help .

So what category is the Wired Country service then?

Cable, DSL or similar?

17-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Or Alternatively,

I have an old Pentium 2 200 computer, 64meg ram, and 4.3GB hard drive sitting around doing nothing..

If I put two NICs in it , and run smoothwall on it,

Could I run the wired country signal into one NIC and then run the other NIC to the switch / hub that I have to my network?

This way I could get a decent firewall too..

Would that work?


Pete O\'Neil
17-09-2004, 12:02 PM
> Would that work?
Like a charm :D

Pete O\'Neil
17-09-2004, 12:03 PM
> So what category is the Wired Country service then?
> Cable, DSL or similar?
Ummmm... pass on that one, ive always just refered to it as wireless dont know if it has a official name??

17-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks Pete,

sorry didn't see this post and posted it as another thread.

Well I think thats what I will do , I have downloaded Smoothwall with manuals so will burn a cd, and set it up tonight at home,

low cost and that way I can use the old hardware that I have.


Thanks again :D