PDA

View Full Version : Oh.....the....irony

metla
16-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Makes ya shake ya head,this page is extolling the virtues of Firefox and displays so badly under Firefox its beyond silly.

FireFox Throwdown (http://www.g4techtv.com/screensavers/features/48009/The_Firefox_Throwdown.html)

Biggles
16-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Looks fine on mine.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
16-09-2004, 04:11 PM
It looks exactly the same in IE as in Firefox as well.

Just crap webdesign.

You also need a FireFox button on your website!

whiskeytangofoxtrot
16-09-2004, 04:12 PM
> Looks fine on mine.

While you're here, a FireFox banner in place of that gaudy Xtra flash ad would be great.

Biggles
16-09-2004, 04:32 PM
> > Looks fine on mine.
>
> While you're here, a FireFox banner in place of that
> gaudy Xtra flash ad would be great.

See my post here: Turning off the ads (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=51476) on the demise of said ad. Of course, if you can broker a deal whereby Mozilla front up with money for a banner, you're morte than welcome to approach one of our ad staff.

metla
16-09-2004, 05:21 PM
thats weird,when i viewed it earlier 2 of the items of flash were mounted overtop of the text,smack bang in the middle of the page,and the text that i could see was jumbled and overlapping.

Chilling_Silence
16-09-2004, 05:57 PM
If you would rather see Firefox - Why not just hack your hosts file?

pulling hair out
16-09-2004, 06:02 PM
>>2 of the items of flash were mounted overtop of the text,smack bang in the
>> middle of the page,and the text that i could see was jumbled and
>>overlapping.

Thanks to Firefox and Adblock extension, there was bugger-all on the page to overlap or do anything in fact.
Liked the colour of the extensive blank 50% section of the page though. :D

Marg.

Chilling_Silence
16-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Im with Marg. Flashblock is nice too....

Arent we devaluing the worth of PressF1 ads by making posts like this though?

:-(

metla
16-09-2004, 06:15 PM
i do believe that the ads are charged on a click through basis,and i doubt many with the savvy to run ad blockers would be attracted by the shiny Xtra adds,nor the last round of Compaq comps advertised.

I presume the amount of casual visitors to this forum is huge compared to those of us who post here on a regular 15 minute basis.

Oh.......And we add value,im sure you were claiming to be priceless the other day,and a forum for asking questions would be worthless without others to answer them,get snarky at each other,argue over evil empires,and generally run rampent.

metla
16-09-2004, 06:17 PM
which reminds me,What the hell happened to Growly?...guess some of you less sensitive types were mean to the lad.

alphazulusixeightniner
16-09-2004, 07:27 PM
The nuclear radiation got into that silo of his.

Murray P
16-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Hey! alphazulusixeightniner, why don't you sign off at the bottom of your posts ;\

Cheers Murray ;)

PS. It's our duty to click on the ads once in a while. High revenue = affordability of PF1 on IDG's servers and might mean a more attention to forum maintenance, etc, but even more importantly BB's chrissy bonus.

lagbort
16-09-2004, 08:07 PM
nah you didnt drive growly off, he has been copping a bit of flack at school at the moment, coming into exams and all, so i guess he just has less time to post randomly

alphazulusixeightniner
16-09-2004, 11:52 PM
I beg your pardon Murray?

Murray P
17-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Just alluding to the length of your user name AZSEN :)

Cheers Murray P <----- signed off

alphazulusixeightniner
17-09-2004, 02:20 AM
It's off Independence Day before all the jets launch their missiles. Damn that looks awesome. :D

alphazulusixeightniner
17-09-2004, 02:24 AM
AZSEN -> Azsen, hmm I like that abbreviation, mind if i copyright it? Cheers :)

alphazulusixeightniner
17-09-2004, 02:51 AM
Whoops actually it's the launch code for the nuke that the B-2 bomber fires at the alien spacecraft.

Biggles
17-09-2004, 09:45 AM
>but even more importantly BB's chrissy bonus.

Christmans bonus? What's that?

Winston001
17-09-2004, 10:43 AM
PS. It's our duty to click on the ads once in a
&gt; while. High revenue = affordability of PF1 on IDG's
&gt; servers and might mean a more attention to forum
&gt; maintenance, etc, but even more importantly BB's
&gt; chrissy bonus.

Is that true Murray? I never thought about it. If so, I'll religiously click the adverts once a day to help out. :D

metla
17-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Clicks are counted,but again i believe only the first click through,after that your ignored.

Although clarification from those in the know would be helpful.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Does it log it by IP or something?

metla
17-09-2004, 11:27 AM
I believe it lodges a cookie,and when you return it reads the cookie and decides your not a unique visitor.

Sites that in the past that have have tried to create revenue by asking that users click on adds daily normally recomend that visitors dump their cookies between each visit,the advertiser still know what sort of traffic to expect though and just refuse to pay out if they get bombarded with visitors.

drb1
17-09-2004, 11:37 AM
> I believe it lodges a cookie,and when you return it

> normally recomend that visitors dump their cookies
> between each visit,the advertiser still know what
> sort of traffic to expect though and just refuse to
> pay out if they get bombarded with visitors.

Metla,

How does cookie blocking factor in that/this.

D.

metla
17-09-2004, 11:41 AM
I believe that if you dont accept the cookie then your visit isn't counted.

But this is pure speculation based on how ive seen it done in the past,Only those in the know can verify how the adds system is being run for this site.