PDA

View Full Version : Optimising XP

barmypom
15-09-2004, 11:06 PM
I'm running a Dell Laptop Inspiron 4000 (PIII 850MHz 384Mb Ram 8MB Video Card, 20GB HD). Top of the range 3 years ago but getting on for a dinosaur these days.
Now I've got a new desktop, I'm dedicating the laptop to one application that seems to stretch its resources to the max.
I've made a fresh slipstream install of SP2 and am running virtually no other software apart from a very lightweight firewall (Kerio) and antivirus (Nod32).

I'd like to know the following:

1) How to optimise the machine and setup of XP to run this one piece of software (which runs only on XP SP1 or SP2).

2) I notice in Task Manager you can set priority of processes. When I set the software running on high priority or realtime, it seems to run alot more smoothly.
How do I automate this process so that every time I run the program it always runs on high priority.
Is this to be advised by the way?

wintertide
15-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Go to www.blackviper.com and look through the XP Services guide there and disable services on their recommendation and any others that you may not use.

Makes XP a little less memory hungry and a tiny bit faster :)

alphazulusixeightniner
15-09-2004, 11:22 PM
2) It's not advised to run programs in realtime as it can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. E.g try running something in realtime, like a DVD plaaying then try and do other tasks in the background and you'll notice they'll slow down dramaticallly, almost to a halt because you've given the CPU priority to run the DVD.

Can work in some circumstances, but not advisable generally. :)

Elephant
15-09-2004, 11:26 PM
> I'd like to know the following:
>
> 1) How to optimise the machine and setup of XP to run
> this one piece of software (which runs only on XP SP1
> or SP2).
>
> 2) I notice in Task Manager you can set priority of
> processes. When I set the software running on high
> priority or realtime, it seems to run alot more
> smoothly.
I would like to know what application you wish to run.

> How do I automate this process so that every time I
> run the program it always runs on high priority.
> Is this to be advised by the way?
>

barmypom
15-09-2004, 11:35 PM
> I would like to know what application you wish to
> run.

The software is called Rowpro. (www.digitalrowing.com). I'll have my laptop plugged in to the usb port on my indoor rowing machine and the software monitors progress and records statistics, as well as allowing online racing against other indoor rowers. The graphics onscreen are pretty basic but the software still demands a high % of my CPU and video card. One problem I have been having is that the onscreen graphics don't run smoothly because so much is going on in the background with the software monitoring incoming data.
Hence the reason why the laptop will be doing nothing other than this one application...if I'm rowing then I'm not likely to be doing my email at the same time!

Lohsing
15-09-2004, 11:43 PM
> (www.digitalrowing.com). I'll have my laptop plugged
> in to the usb port on my indoor rowing machine and
> the software monitors progress and records
> statistics, as well as allowing online racing against
> other indoor rowers.

I would suggest it is the USB connection which causes a lot of load on the laptop and any services you turn off on your laptop won't make it perform that much better.

Lo.

Murray P
15-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Don't now whether XP has this but: Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Performance Options, make your choice. Mines optimised for applications but I have a bit more ram than you, as said above, it may not work for you and to be honest that's all I've run as far as I know.

Also as above, get rid of unnecessary resource hogs and security risks by disabling un-needed services, also be aware that some OS functions and app's might might rely on these services, note down every change you make, some may require you to repair windows to enable them again.

Do you have MS Office installed, get rid of Find Fast or is Fast Find and OSA.exe, kill from your start up options, Spybot S & E is handy for some straight forward options for this. Don't let printer, sound, etc, applets and all the other little frilly bits load up with windows. Kill em off in the start up options too.

That's all I can think of off the top, bound to be lots more with some obvious ones to go yet.

Cheers Murray P