PDA

View Full Version : Is a new monitor the answer?

write-click
15-09-2004, 07:40 PM
I have a PC Company 19" monitor that is almost three years old. A few months ago, whatever was on screen started blowing up in size and the screen darkened after the computer had been on for an hour or so, and I got an irritating flicker in the top left hand corner. Plus whenever I turned it on from cold, that 'factory burn-in' message came up. The only way around the problem is to adjust the horizontal size, but then the next time the computer is turned on, it has to be resized.

I got a friend who repairs computers to have a look but it didn't play up while he had it, so what I am asking is, does it sound like a monitor problem or is the computer itself the problem? It doesn't matter what software is running - it does it in Photoshop, Word, IE and Outlook Express.

I was planning on buying a new monitor tomorrow, but am a bit worried that will not solve the problem. I had hoped to plug in the monitor from another computer I own, but the pin connections are different sizes.

Advice please? The computer is also a PC Co one, bought together with the monitor in 2001.

Davesdad
15-09-2004, 07:46 PM
It could be the PC graphics.
You need to try another monitor that is known to be good and see if it plays up as well.

Terry Porritt
15-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Sounds like the digital circuitry could be losing its 'memory', perhaps a diode going soft.
PC Co, like PC General never made monitors, they will have been re-badged el-cheapos, probably the most el-cheapos they could get :)

A repair would not be economical anyway, not when you consider the price these days of a new one.

I dont understand what you mean by different pin connection sizes.

'All' vga monitors have a 15 pin connector, some have a 15 pin socket on the monitor which takes a cable, others (the majority) have the vga cable built in.

Some older monitors have 3 BNC RGB sockets.

Apple-Macs have had and some may still have different connectors, and you have to go back yonks to EGA etc 9 pin connectors.

write-click
15-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks, I am going to try and get hold of a spare monitor to see if the problem continues. I'd hate to buy a new monitor and find the computer was the problem all along!

Why does my computer always play up when I have a lot of work on?!!!

write-click
15-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Thanks Terry, I was thinking along the same lines myself, not worth repairing something three years old, as in computer terms, that is probably about 90! The pin sizes - the PC monitor has a cable with about a small connector, the Mac one is larger and has 10 pins. It fitted into another connection on my PC, but wouldn't work.