PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on setting up a dual boot PC

KevCole
15-09-2004, 03:34 PM
I am currently running winXp SP2 and I would like to partition my drive so that I can load Lycoris OS as a dual boot...Any suggestions on partitioning software and any traps I need to be aware of?

Athlon 2500+ XP
512 Ram
80gig HDD
DVD/Cd writer
Xp Proffessional

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have experimented in Partition Magic demo 7 but it only goes so far...

Jen C
15-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Hi :)

I presume you have the Lycoris Desktop/LX PC Authority Edition from the Sept magazine? What file format is your drive currenty - FAT32 or NTFS? If it is FAT32 you can partition your hard drive using a free partitioning tool called Ranish (http://www.ranish.com/part/). Lycoris doesn't appear to have a non-destructive re-partitioning tool that you can use during the installation, so you will need to prepare some free space first - 10 gigs will be plenty. You can partition NTFS using another Linux distro, but this will be a big download just to re-partition your drive.

There is a helpful thread on the Lycoris forum about dual booting - Partitioning and Multibooting Questions (http://www.lycoris.org/viewtopic.php?topic=11772&forum=2).

A nice fail safe way of adding Linux to a system that does not have a free partition already, is to add a small slave hard drive (eg second hand 20 gig drive), and just use that for Linux. Saves having to worry about losing data from XP if the partitioning goes wrong (which it can).

dudess_on_a_mish
15-09-2004, 06:42 PM
> Any suggestions on .... any traps I need to be aware of?

Yes - whatever you do, backup all files and data that you do not wish to lose before you start. If you don't you will lose it (Murphy's law). ;-)

Murray P
15-09-2004, 07:02 PM
And, make a bootable floppy or CD with copies of your NTLDR, boot.ini, NTDETECT.com from your XP root directory and a couple of others that will come in handy but elude me at the mo (bit tired after troubleshooting Linux + Linux + win boot problems... cough* I mean features).

As Jen has said, another drive would be better but still does not entirely isolate you from the odd unexpected feature cropping up.

Enjoy :)

Cheers Murray P

KevCole
16-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Thx for the info...I have NTFS not fat32. More stability etc...

I have a demo version of Partition Magic but it will allow me to make any permanent changes unless I purchase the full program...bummer...