PDA

View Full Version : Msgtag

Ladybug
15-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Has anybody used this programme and can you tell me if its good, bad or otherwise.

Thanks

Bug :)

Raymondo
15-09-2004, 03:25 PM
I use it but you can't rely on it. By that I mean that if you get no response, it doesn't mean your mail hasn't been read. For instance some mail servers (hotmail I think and others) block the response. You can't use it easily if you are using Pegasus mail. If someone is using a software firewall they can block the response from their PC if, as I do, they have their mail on "ask first" Same goes with some of the corporate firewalls. The firewall may stop it or the recipient may choose to.
I asked their techs about this and they agreed it was a problem but they were working on it.
So - I still use it as a convenience because it works on say 90% of the recipients but I don't treat it as gospel. And I wouldn't spend any money upgrading from the free version.
Ray

metla
15-09-2004, 03:34 PM
I consider it a disgusting piece of sftware,and if i ever notice one trying to get out of my firewall im gonna fire off some hate mail.

Raymondo
15-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Why? It's not really any different to registered post or track 'n trace.

metla
15-09-2004, 04:21 PM
You think lodging something on someone elses computer that reports there actions back to you is like registered mail?....sounds more like a trojan to me.

Even if i can see it as quite harmless i am 100 percent against it due to principle.

godfather
15-09-2004, 04:48 PM
In corporate circles many have "Request a Return Receipt" facilities. Thats the same as MsgTag in operation.

Its standard in most MS Outlook systems, and most large companies appear to have it enabled system wide as a "compulsory setting" I believe.

I choose to never return the receipt however. Eudora plays nicely with these and they all get blocked. Unless I want to impress someone that I read their email at 2 AM...