PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Line Options

roofus
14-09-2004, 08:27 AM
I am moving flats soon. And i've come to the question of whether i get a landline or not. I really don't want to fork out $40 for a telecom line that i would hardly ever use. They use to have that nana line where you pay 20c per call, but it doesn't look like they have that any more.

Are there any other telephone line providers out there?
How is woosh going with their Voice thing they were going to stick on there modems?

Also i intend on having jetstream, if i have jetstream but no telephone line, do i still have to pay line rental anyway, given that there will be data travelling down the line?

Alasta
14-09-2004, 08:32 AM
I have a wireless phone so, like you, I have no use for a landline. When I set Jetstream up at the start of this year, I was annoyed to discover that I couldn't get Jetstream without also paying for phone line rental on top of the Jetstream charges.

Spacemannz
14-09-2004, 08:41 AM
I asked the same question the other day with Orcon about Jetstream.

They replied back saying their plan (the $49 one), the Jetstream is 29.95 and the Telecom line fee is $19.95. (even tho I dont want or need anyone to split it for a phone). Since we have another phone here anyway.

Thats all you pay.... Dont know if this applies to other ISP's besides Orcon tho. It should

It depends on which ISP you go with and what plan too I guess, on how much you'll pay.

You still have to pay something for the line. I spose thats like me right now. We have 2 separate lines. Mine has no phone. The modem is plugged directly into the jack. And I'm still paying the $40-41 a mth rental, for it! This is for dialup atm tho. Not Jetstream. BUT I might as well go Jetstream for only 6-7 dollars more.

Pete O\'Neil
14-09-2004, 09:06 AM
You could always try a wireless solution such as Wired Country or Woosh, depending on where you live. Then you just have a cellphone for any emergency calls, and the cellphone would also allow ppl to contact you.

Murray P
14-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Topical, see todays Aardvark (http://www.aardvark.co.nz/) article.

Cheers Murray P

cadifan
16-09-2004, 12:14 AM
I use Woosh and a cell phone, the only thing I plug in is power.

I believe the ihug wireless system involves mounting an aerial on the roof of your house, where as Woosh is totally portable.

Laura
16-09-2004, 02:50 AM
Murray:
Your link goes to an article about whether we should admit David Irvine to NZ
Interesting, yes - but not a lot to do with telephones/broadband.
Or is it just my comp?

Raymondo
16-09-2004, 06:45 AM
Laura....it's a daily column and Murray posted on the 14th. Go back and then look at the previous edition.
Ray

Spartacus
16-09-2004, 11:47 AM
> Go back and then look at the previous edition

Or use this link (http://www.aardvark.co.nz/daily/2004/0914.shtml) ;)