PDA

View Full Version : pdf document open inside web browser

rugila
13-09-2004, 05:50 PM
After downloading forms and that sort of stuff with Firefox and WinXP home, I try to close either or both of Adobe 6 reader and Firefox version 0.9.

After a usually long wait, where nothing happens, a message appears

"One or more PDF documents are open inside a web browser. If you exit Adobe reader now, these documents will be closed. Are you sure you want to exit?"

After having done my thing on the PDF I usually want to quit Adobe Reader, but keep the web browser open.

So, how do you close Adobe Reader inside a web browser without a long wait and (eventually) closing the browser?

Murray P
13-09-2004, 05:56 PM
I think this could be a glitch with reader 6. I usually open PDF's in a new window but most still seem to take an inordinately long time to close, depending on the size of the file I think.

Cheers Murray P

zqwerty
13-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Adobe Reader 6 CE will work fine in Firefox. I can't remember where I d/led it from, sorry.

Jen C
13-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Why don't you just right-click on the tab which contains the PDF window and select "Close Tab"?

beama
13-09-2004, 10:28 PM
back button is what I normally use.

mikebartnz
13-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Yeah Adobe Reader 6 is a real pain and on my next install will be installing it before Mozilla, hopefully so it won't take over the browser.

rugila
15-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Appreciated the feedback on this, but:

>Adobe Reader 6 CE will work fine in Firefox. I can't remember where I d/led it from, sorry.
What's Adobe Reader CE, and does it work fine in alleviating the problem raised?

>Why don't you just right-click on the tab which contains the PDF window and select "Close Tab"?
I suppose I don't coz it takes just as long and gives the same message. i.e. it makes no essential difference.

>back button is what I normally use.
With this particular situation myback button is grey, not green as usual. i.e. back button doesn't work in this case.

Graham L
15-09-2004, 02:13 PM
I was playing with Acrobat5 (to make it readable on a laptop screen) last night and I came across some options covering the way it handles opened files. I left them alone, but I got a similar prompt when I was shutting down. Explore the top line menus for the "Preferences". 6 will have the same settings.

zqwerty
15-09-2004, 09:48 PM
I think the CE stands for Central European, I got this product by putting in an English speaking country but it was a while ago. I had the same problem as you that every time I read an Adobe format document within my browser it would take ages to load and close. I read somewhere of this solution and it definitely works. It does not have all the features of version 6 but is fine for reading Acrobat documents in or out of the browser. Try getting it from here:

http://www.pacific.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

zqwerty
15-09-2004, 09:50 PM
By the way version 5 was better than version 6 as far as opening in browsers goes and I was thinking of switching back to version 5 before I came across this solution.

johnboy
15-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Have you been to the Adobe Acrobat web site there are pages on opening adobe acrobat docs in its own window not in your browser that may help. There is also a little app that helps to speed up pdf viewing generally by stopping a lot of the plugins loading that you hardly use anyway.
here (http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/315029.html)
PDF SpeedUp for Adobe Reader
here (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4294.html)
hth