PDA

View Full Version : ASUS P5AD3 PREMIUM

ahd8888
13-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Hi, does anyone have the ASUS P5AD2 PREMIUM MOBO. Just want to know do u need to install IDE HDD first and Window Xp service pack 1 before u install SATA HDD? I can't get what the manual mean on page 2-24. Yr help and advise would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Pete O\'Neil
13-09-2004, 12:01 PM
During the windows installation it should give you the option to install thrid party drivers. From memory you press F6/F8, then insert the floppy disc with the drivers for the SATA controller and windows should now see your SATA drive.

drb1
13-09-2004, 12:07 PM
F6

ahd8888
13-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Hi, Peter thanks for your reply. The manual read "Important notes on Serial ATA
- u must install Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or Window XP Service Pack 1 b4 using Serial ATA hard disk drives. The Serial ATA Raid feature (Raid 0/raid 1) is available only u are using Window 2000/Xp

So do u mean if I got the driver for my Sata Hdd, there should be no problem. i don't need Window XP service PAck 1. But my Sata Hdd doesn't come with a driver, how can I get one?

Pete O\'Neil
13-09-2004, 01:00 PM
> Hi, Peter thanks for your reply. The manual read
> "Important notes on Serial ATA
> - u must install Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or
> Window XP Service Pack 1 b4 using Serial ATA hard
> disk drives. The Serial ATA Raid feature (Raid
> 0/raid 1) is available only u are using Window
> 2000/Xp
>
> So do u mean if I got the driver for my Sata Hdd,
> there should be no problem. i don't need Window XP
> service PAck 1. But my Sata Hdd doesn't come with a
> driver, how can I get one?

It shouldnt matter what OS your using, have a look on the ASUS website for a driver. You should be able to find a page on the ASUS website for your board and it should have links to the drivers. It would be a good idea to find out what particular SATA controller you have, as this would make it easiers when searching for the driver.

Pete O\'Neil
13-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Is this your motherboard here (http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket775/p5ad2-p/overview.htm#)? If so you've got 2 seperate SATA controllers. Are you plugging the drive into the SATA connectors at the bottom of the board? or the SATA connectors in the middle?

Spacemannz
13-09-2004, 01:06 PM
If u have 1 SATA it will still work, once u do a clean install. The driver isnt needed. BUT if u want RAID u'll have to install the drivers on the install, by pressing F6. And selecting / setting up RAID in the BIOS.

You can install SP1, or 2 after XP is installed on the SATA.

SATA will work on other OS's besides 2k/XP, but wont be in enhanced mode (in the BIOS).

The drivers for the mobo, if there are ANY, will be on the mobo CD. A file or something similar to make.exe. You have to create the disk/floppy from the cd from this file.

ahd8888
13-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Yes, that is the Mobo. The Mobo came with all drivers on CD. It should also have the driver for the SATA controller. But it just couldn't make sense why it make a big note about I must install window 2000 / Xp. I just want to hear from anyone who manage to install SATA Hdd on ASUS P5AD2 PREMIUM mobo without any problem. Thanks Pete.

Spacemannz
13-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Im running a 120g SATA, as master at the mo. No prob at all. On XP

On a mobo but not your model. It shouldnt matter what mobo it is

Well yer it WORKS better in 2k and XP. As SATA is native to these OS's.

IN 98 / other operating systems, SATA will work in compatibilty mode.

ahd8888
13-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks spacemannz. I also would like to hear from anyone who manage to install SATA Hdd on this mobo (ASUS P5AD2 PREMIUM) either by yourself or by someone. Thanks.

Pete O\'Neil
13-09-2004, 02:49 PM
> Im running a 120g SATA, as master at the mo. No prob
> at all. On XP
>
> On a mobo but not your model. It shouldnt matter what
> mobo it is
>
> Well yer it WORKS better in 2k and XP. As SATA is
> native to these OS's.
>
> IN 98 / other operating systems, SATA will work in
> compatibilty mode.
>
Since when did XP/2k have native support for SATA? Also depending on SATA controller a driver may be needed when installing windows.

Spacemannz
13-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Since it says so in some mobo manuals. You dont need SP1 to install, u can install SP1 AFTER tho. What diff it makes I dont know.

Well maybe, for some you need drivers to install XP on a SATA. Others NO, unless u use RAID. Like the SATA / mobo I use. It didnt need drivers just for 1 SATA.

Just a clean install the hdd on Auto. XP setup detects it and installs on it.

Pete O\'Neil
13-09-2004, 03:03 PM
What motherboard are you using Spacemanz?

Spacemannz
13-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Asus P4P800 with 2 sata connections onboard.

Pete O\'Neil
13-09-2004, 03:27 PM
> Asus P4P800 with 2 sata connections onboard.
Thought as much, i think you'll find the reason its easy to install SATA drives with your system is more due to Intel and less to do with Windows. When used with the right southbridge Intel chipsets from the 865/875 onwards had native support for SATA. The reason windows is easily able to detect the SATA drive is because the chipset treats it like a normal harddrive, when using RAID a driver is required because of the complexity of a RAID array.

The third party chipset used on most AMD boards and cheap Intel boards that use the PCI bus DO require drivers.

Now ahd8888's motherboard actually has 3 RAID/ATA controllers. Theres a third party SATA controller that will require a driver irrelivant of whether its used in RAID or not. Theres a third party PATA RAID controller that will also require a driver. Then theres the SATA RAID controller intergrated into the SB, this will require a driver when using the RAID function, but if just using individual drivers not driver would be needed.

Now like i said NO version of windows has native support for SATA.

Spacemannz
13-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Well as i said some mobos dont need drivers some do.

Well, tell mobo makers that. They make the mobos with SATA onboard.

I was just stating what it says in the manual/BIOS

98 / ME /Winnt/DOS so it also says are legacy operating systems when used with SATA, and SATA will disable one of the IDE channels from the ICH5R south channel chipset.