PDA

View Full Version : Orcon

dwnz2003
12-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi,
Can some one please tell me how good orcon is, i need to convince my dad to change but he wont until he knows that its good.
By good i mean uptime, speed and just general things.

Thanks
Daniel

R2x1
12-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Well, write to Orcon ?

stu120404
12-09-2004, 01:35 PM
I suggest you search Press F1 as there has a LOT of posts on how Good Orcon is.

dwnz2003
12-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Yea ive just done that (Should have do it first :8}).

Daniel

Mzee
12-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Orcon service is very good but its Broadband suffered from bad latency. (pausing between tasks). They may have cured it now.

I am now with Xtra. Service is good and performance good, & no ISP fees.
$49.95 for 3gigs.

Orcon offers $49.95 uncapped, so if you plan to use more than 3gigs, they would be better for you.

dwnz2003
12-09-2004, 03:40 PM
How bad is it? Becuase i was only going to use it because it has a static IP, and i want to run my web and email server without needing to use NO-IP

Daniel

Greg S
12-09-2004, 04:32 PM
> How bad is it? Becuase i was only going to use it
> because it has a static IP, and i want to run my web
> and email server without needing to use NO-IP

You'll probably find they prohibit running a server on their $49 plan

barmypom
12-09-2004, 04:48 PM
I would think most ISPs don't like you running servers.
Xtra made a big fuss about people using Kazaa as technically that would mean uploading and therefore running a server.

I'm with Orcon - no real complaints. Email goes down from time to time but then I guess you get that with any ISP.

When Jetstream goes down it's usually Telecom's fault.

I was on Orcon dialup before Jetstart. At one point I almost packed it in because I couldn't log on. Perhaps they were overloaded. The problem went away so I assume they fixed it. I haven't had any such problem with them on ADSL.

I like the unlimited cap and they're good value all in all. Customer service might not be 24/7 like Xtra perhaps, but I wouldn't touch Xtra for 2 reasons: 1) They're Telecom in disguise 2) too expensive.

Stick with Orcon and you won't be disappointed.

dwnz2003
12-09-2004, 04:59 PM
I am only running a really low usage webserver, not one that lots of people hit everyday. I dont understand why they dont like people running servers because it can be easily done

Daniel

metla
12-09-2004, 05:44 PM
First thing monday morning im cancelling my dial up home account with xtra and my jetstream business account and taking all my business to Orcon,Currently i pay $90 a month for 600mb adsl feed.....This is on the Horozin for business use...

Available in October:
- Unlimited data usage
- Speed: 256Kbps download / 128Kbps upload
- Free Static IP
$99.95 per month plus GST

Personally i think i should get a refund and a letter of apology from telescum for the many months of a disgustingly priced service.

Baldy
12-09-2004, 08:59 PM
> First thing monday morning im cancelling my dial up
> home account with xtra and my jetstream business
> account and taking all my business to Orcon,Currently
> i pay $90 a month for 600mb adsl feed.....This is on
> the Horozin for business use...
>
>
> Available in October:
> - Unlimited data usage
> - Speed: 256Kbps download / 128Kbps upload
> - Free Static IP
> $99.95 per month plus GST
>
> Personally i think i should get a refund and a letter
> of apology from telescum for the many months of a
> disgustingly priced service.

Not very astute of you there Metla. As the all knowing "no-all" I am surprised you allowed yourself to be ripped off. Have a hanky

HaHa

metla
12-09-2004, 10:45 PM
As the no-nothing seriously deluded lover of branded comps, telecom, and Nortons products im not surprised that your knowledge of the subject is zero.

There was and untill October will not be a single better deal then the plan i am currently on.

People like yourself could learn a lot.

drb1
12-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Metla,

Is Telstra Clear in wanganui?

Take every thing from T/c, Shop, Mobile, Home, All, T/C can not stop you keeping your number as your shop is (Should be) Commercial.

One day T/C may learn.

Once T/c have soaked up the Majority of available B/band customers, before the open up.

They will wait a few months after the open up then change the rules, like they did on Xtra with the Higher pricing in the peak (Really normal usage period that they call peak) periods.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
12-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Do you read your posts before submitting them? I'm yet to find one I can make a scrap of sense out of.

When talking about Telecom and TelstraClear in the same post, abbreviating them both to T/C isn't a good idea?

fairway
12-09-2004, 11:48 PM
I think your dispute with telecom is a bit Misguided .. after all they do own the lines and can charge whatever they want for their use. This was created by the government of the day when they sold OUR assets. ( they didn't even ask me!)

We need competition that is willing to take a risk to introduce REAL broadband at a fair price.... Well it aint going to happen for at least 5 years so get over it.

I would suggest you direct your attention to your local member of parliment, they are the ones that refuse to unbundle the lines, they sold the asset, and we suck the results .. right out of our wallets ... ha

As for orcon.. Just doing a good Job with the tools they have to work with, like most companies with having to pay a huge margin to Telecom.

drb1
12-09-2004, 11:53 PM
> Do you read your posts before submitting them? I'm
> yet to find one I can make a scrap of sense out of.
>
> When talking about Telecom and TelstraClear in the
> same post, abbreviating them both to T/C isn't a good
> idea?

Normally,

I ignore your GIGO, in the mentioned post is says Telstra Clear and T/c .

What else is in your coffe jar?

fairway
12-09-2004, 11:58 PM
One more thing .. and someone can correct me here (if they find me incorrect), The data charge, in and out, and other costs are related to the initial cost of laying the cable throughout the pacific rim in the late 90's (which Telecom own's a large share of), so to pay this loan off to lay the cable we must pay a premium... so the share holders of telecom get a good return on their asset as well. I suspect in 5 years the price will be 1/3 what we pay now .. in fact I would demand that if not more!

metla
13-09-2004, 12:02 AM
>> I think your dispute with telecom is a bit Misguided .. after all they do own the lines and can charge whatever they want for their use.

I have no dispute with Telecom,absolute disgust at there prices and now a worthwhile alternative has apeared i shall move.No dispute at all.

fairway
13-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Agreed,
and let the rest rot. ;-)

Billy T
13-09-2004, 10:13 AM
That price for Jetstream sounds pretty high metla, does it include line charges?

My supplier is Xtra/Telecom and I started on $69 for full speed Jetstream with 400 or 500MB cap (can't remember the exact amount), later increased to 600MB at no extra cost, then upgraded to 1GB for another $10, so now I pay $79 per month. (just checked the account to make sure because the boss pays all the bills).

My dial-up is a Freenet time-capped account and I never get near having to pay them

I was a very early adopter for Jetstream so it's possible that I hooked in to a special deal at that time, but I don't remember anything like that. Maybe somebody else will have comparative figures so we can get a handle on what spread of prices Telecom may have out there.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

metla
13-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Xtra JetStream 600mb $79.11 plus GST.

metla
13-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Orcon's phone has been giving the busy signal for over an hour,they could at least answer it and put me on hold for 2 hours like Xtra and Telecom........

drb1
13-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Metla,

Coat to long, can not resist.

Must be because they not out to "rip you off" like Xtra and Telescam.

stu120404
13-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Also one thing I did forget to say in my first post, some time you see Orcon support staff on Press F1 as well :)

dwnz2003
13-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Ive seen one on other posts.
Daniel

Rob99
13-09-2004, 05:30 PM
You could stick with xtra metla and pay for the uncapped jetstream about $70.
Set up a wireless network of 3 or 4 other business/people in the close area and spread the $70 cost between them, then 4 customers would be on jetstream for $17.50 each, thus ripping telecom of 3 potential customers.
You know what wireless cards cost, the areial cost about $10, its just the cable between the card and the areial that is expensive $2per meter.

metla
13-09-2004, 05:44 PM
hmmm....now you have me thinking,the building i'm in has 3 other businesses in it,but none of them have any interest in internet feed.......however,the second story of the building is all student flats.......and i can get a large roll of cat6 for peanuts.

then charge each flat 40 bucks a month for unlimited.........

dwnz2003
13-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Cool idea, i was going to do something like that with cat5 cables if i went onto Orcon unlimited, but there to much hassle with the cat5 wires

Daniel

drb1
13-09-2004, 11:53 PM
> hmmm....now you have me thinking,the building i'm in
> has 3 other businesses in it,but none of them have
> any interest in internet feed.......however,the
> second story of the building is all student
> flats.......and i can get a large roll of cat6 for
> peanuts.
>
> then charge each flat 40 bucks a month for
> unlimited.........

Metla,

That is not setting a good example to children.

$25-00.

fairway
14-09-2004, 11:26 PM
That's what I like about us Kiwi's... when they know they are getting screwed they get Innovative .. ( not even) :-)

Winston001
15-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Our business is with Xtra. ADSL Jetstream cost is $61.33 + GST per month for 600mb. Plus $39.95 and $2.25 per month line charges. Total cost $116.45 per month.

By comparison, the home connection for Jetline (full speed as far as I know) is $88.84 + GST = $100/month for 500mb. This includes the phoneline.

Naturally I'd like to pay less but these costs are not so far above dial-up to make me change back. Jetstream at home is really a luxury but it does mean that the phone line is free, which isn't the case with dial-up.

Winston001
15-09-2004, 11:04 AM
And Drb1, could you please, please, please, use the spell-check and review buttons before posting?????

I don't mind your enthusiasm and passion but frankly, I find most of your posts incomprehensible. I thought this might be an english as a second language issue, but I notice you can spell and make sense when you want to. :D

drb1
15-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Winston,

The online spell checker, loads the page after every correction, to slow!

If I write in Word and use the spell checker, the posts are better.

I dont allways "think" in English.

If I am being very serious, and not to Angry, I think this is reflect in the Editing effort.

I have missed your intelligent debate, where have you been.

Bruce dosent like it when some get personal, so I have been trying not to wind up the narrow minded, far from center on the T/C issue.

Have you noted that the Commerce commision has slapped Telecom into line in the UBS issue. as i sujested may happen a while ago.

D.
P.s written on s creen, but not anggry.

Winston001
15-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Yes, I realise the spell checker is slow. I usually only use it once and remember what needs to be corrected.

And it is good that Telecom are being kept in line by the Commerce Commission.

As for me, my laptop is having it's hard drive replaced so I have had no computer for a while. Currently using an old 133. :_|