PDA

View Full Version : Lexmark optra RT+'s - how much are they worth?

bRaZZiN
12-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Hi everyone.
I recently acquired two de-comissioned Lexmark Optra Rt+ laser printers (well actually I use the word "de-commissioned" rather loosely - I basically rescued the printers from the skip - because my local polytech decided "they were too big"...), for nothing. If you don't know which printers I'm talking about, they're a massive, ugly, beige, monochrome, industrial-strength laser printer that go like the clappers (actually probably about 15ppm but fast enough for me). One of the printers has a toner cartridge in it, and the other doesn't. I've tested one with the toner cartridge - it prints perfectly and has a page count of something like 6,200 (which I'm told is low). The other one doesn't have a toner cartridge - which could mean two things: a) the toner run out - probably meaning that the printer is old and/or stuffed (or) b) someone beat me to it - which I hope is the case.

*ahem*. 'scuse the waffling. Anyway, toner is dashingly expensive for these so I'm thinking about flogging one off on trademe (or giving it away, whichever is more appropriate or will give me the better feeling).

What would you lot buy one of these for? (without toner, like)

godfather
12-09-2004, 12:16 AM
One was recently advertised on Trademe and reached $175, unknown if it sold (Google cache)

One is available commercially for $1,200 refurbished.

Without toner, and with no guarantee it would work (or stay working) the price would not need to be high. Might not even be greater than a negative number? Freight would be a killer.

bRaZZiN
12-09-2004, 12:31 AM
Aha! level the freight price to the unsuspecting buyer!

Ooh that would be evil... maybe if I advertised it in the newspaper or buy/sell/exchange I'd get more for it and wouldn't face the guilt of charging such a horrendous freight price.

On a different note, I just found one, with cartridge, on trademe going for $20, reserve met - closing in 6 days though so there will probably be some improvement on that price. Buy/sell then? I think so.

bRaZZiN
12-09-2004, 08:15 PM
ooh damn. I just had a look around for a toner cartridge and the cheapest is about $300. I'm not sure if anyone would buy one if the toner is so expensive... I'd hope these printers are rather reasonable (ie. the toner is worth buying)... or should I just stick the printer back in the skip, where it was destined?

(I didn't literally take the printer out of the skip in the first place, in case you were wondering... they were offered to me :) )

somebody
12-09-2004, 09:00 PM
I'd say put them on the market, and see what you can get for them. Otherwise keep the one which has the toner, and use that for yourself:D

Elephant
12-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Buy a boat and use one as an anchor. :-)

bRaZZiN
13-09-2004, 05:14 PM
hehe... I was beginning to think that myself.

Actually I've become quite attatched to the nice print speed so I think I'll keep one. Would any of you lot buy one of these (hypothetically)?

Maybe I'd better stick up an auction about now. Or something.